• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Project GODUS - Multiplayer Populous redux by Peter Molyneux (kickstarter)

populous dungeon keeper multiplayer god sim kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Turambar

Turambar

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2506 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Kickstarter: Project GODUS by 22cans

Rock, Paper Shotgun: Interview: Peter Molyneux On Curiosity’s Failings, GODUS

Posted Image

• It’s a living world, unique and detailed. And it’s a world you influence, whether you’re good or evil.
  • GODUS is instantly accessible, easy to learn but immensely deep.
  • As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
  • GODUS draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.
  • Plus you get to be a god. In fact, play well and you get to be the ultimate god!
  • GODUS will be developed for the PC and Mobile devices, we hope to be able to add more platforms as our Kickstarter campaign progresses.

More info released next week (after the thanks-giving holiday: Enjoy US of A folks!).

#2 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3975 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Peter Molyneux has a consistent record of big ideas with underwhelming implementations. In fact his latest production could be called an outright fiasco. This is the last person anyone should trust with their money, in fact it's rather strange he'd even be going for something as pedestrian as a Populus remake. (Desperation after his latest failure perhaps?)

From Dust already gave us a modern Populus, please hit them up to continue that track.

Edited by FoxBat, 23 November 2012 - 05:06 AM.

#3 Corsair

Corsair

Is trivia

• Super Moderators
  • 5473 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

I'm not sure I can trust another Peter Molyneux game without a playable beta. The man oversells and under delivers.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.

Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!

#4 Turambar

Turambar

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2506 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Too of my favorite gw2forumites: You guys have good instincts, so I agree probably dabbling in high risk on this one. That said, let me propose an alternative story:

Indie studio - PM produces good titles eg Bullfrog. B&W 1st game is alright but as he becomes more microsoft corporate he loses focus on gameplay and it's all about marketing and eg voice-overs and movieness of games.

So I hope he is returning to his indie days (22Cans has good talent) and crowdfunding might bring out the best in him if the backers (they know what they like and don't like ie modern art!) if he gets them involved in testing etc?

Btw, I never bought his bad games, I could tell the change from the golden days, it's same with buy(sell)-outs all the time it seems. Definitely need that info next week however.

Edited by Turambar, 23 November 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#5 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3975 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostTurambar, on 23 November 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

So I hope he is returning to his indie days

The game I linked (Curiosity) was as indie as it gets. It's even worse when you have a grand idea and no where near the budget to even begin solving all the technical hurdles involved. Here's an overview of how these issues played out in Curiosity:

http://lucumr.pocoo....-million-cubes/

#6 Gorwe

Gorwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Populous rocks! But, PLEASE-for the love of Asuryan, DO NOT TRY to REINVENT/"UPGRADE"/STREAMLINE it!!!!!

A modernised Populous would rock(modern Graphics/physics/etc/ with modern multiplayer scheme). An army of Fire Warriors in Ballons ought to do the trick(or that Armageddon Spell-when all the forces Duke it out in the middle of the map) :D!

Damn, today's gamers REALLY need to know how the truly good games play and feel LoL ;).

#7 Turambar

Turambar

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2506 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 24 November 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

The game I linked (Curiosity) was as indie as it gets. It's even worse when you have a grand idea and no where near the budget to even begin solving all the technical hurdles involved.

Tbh, I think that's more of an experiment/web-social gimmick than a game. But if he can look at the god sim genre I think that is potentially clay in his hands & 22Cans that might make something interesting? As the project pans out more info will make a choice clearer.

View PostGorwe, on 24 November 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

Populous rocks! But, PLEASE-for the love of Asuryan, DO NOT TRY to REINVENT/"UPGRADE"/STREAMLINE it!!!!!

A modernised Populous would rock(modern Graphics/physics/etc/ with modern multiplayer scheme). An army of Fire Warriors in Ballons ought to do the trick(or that Armageddon Spell-when all the forces Duke it out in the middle of the map) :D!

Damn, today's gamers REALLY need to know how the truly good games play and feel LoL ;).

This is what I'm thinking - less popy3: The beginning  (RTS) and more popy1 terraforming. But potential to deform the land in wonderful ways if he sticks to that - the gimmicky stuff in B&W less so.

Updates:

Edited by Turambar, 28 November 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#8 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1203 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Man actually did manage to make one great game, remember Black & White ?
.....but after that, was fail after fail...

#9 Gorwe

Gorwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

Pop series and BnW. Molyneux is such a fail after BnW(actually I think he suffers from sell-out-itis and from dellusions of grandeur).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users