#1 Matsy

Matsy

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3105 posts
  • Guild Tag:[zzZ]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Its Christmas time and my parents have nothing they can buy me (and insist on getting me something, and wont leave me alone till I say something), so we came to a compromise, money towards a new GPU.

Anyway in total it will be around £300 spending money and I'm looking for the talent of the tech guys here to help me.

I've been looking all over but can't come to a descision.

Been looking at Gigabyte 670 windforce 3GB, which is just on the border of my budget and also the Gigabyte 7950 windforce 3GB, which apparently is better than the 670 counterpart while also being 50 quid cheaper (but its not nvidia and I'm fond of physx)

Anyways I have a Asus 560ti 1GB atm, so I could just get another 560ti and put it in SLI (which was my plan anyway awhile ago) but I don't know if it would be worth it or not.

Advice please <3

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3334 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

How well does the 560 Ti work for you, graphics-wise? If it works fine in PvE, but you get fps drops in WvW and Events, perhaps a CPU (and RAM) upgrade would be more useful.
What's your CPU, amount of RAM, and power supply (PSU) wattage, btw?

Anywho, I'm not sure how well SLI works with GW2, but doing SLI with another 560 Ti might be your cheapest option if your PSU is hefty enough. (You'd want at least a true 600watts, preferably 750.)

Next to that, you could consider a GTX-660 Ti instead of the 670. They are very close in performance.

Edited by Quaker, 23 November 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#3 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ARM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I would get a new card regardless, and the windforce series are awesome. My gtx 680 oc windforce never gets above 60c and is so quiet that i never hear it. You can also sell your old 560Ti and recoup some of the cash back. I do that every year or so.
I agree with Quaker though about CPU and Ram. This game is terribad for CPU optimizations and more clocks would help in any regard.

#4 Matsy

Matsy

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3105 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostQuaker, on 23 November 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

How well does the 560 Ti work for you, graphics-wise? If it works fine in PvE, but you get fps drops in WvW and Events, perhaps a CPU (and RAM) upgrade would be more useful.
What's your CPU, amount of RAM, and power supply (PSU) wattage, btw?

Anywho, I'm not sure how well SLI works with GW2, but doing SLI with another 560 Ti might be your cheapest option if your PSU is hefty enough. (You'd want at least a true 600watts, preferably 750.)

Next to that, you could consider a GTX-660 Ti instead of the 670. They are very close in performance.

Yeh well, this isn't for purely GW2, my FPS is fine in Gw2 with this GPU (says around 40+ in big de's etc dips in WvW but thats to be expected), but then again I have a 120ghz monitor coming shortly, curtsy of a family relative who doesn't need it anymore, so I thought a bigger card would be better to push the FPS up.
I have a i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz an 8gb ram and a AX750, so thats all fine and dandy.

View PostBaldur The Bold, on 23 November 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

I would get a new card regardless, and the windforce series are awesome. My gtx 680 oc windforce never gets above 60c and is so quiet that i never hear it. You can also sell your old 560Ti and recoup some of the cash back. I do that every year or so.
I agree with Quaker though about CPU and Ram. This game is terribad for CPU optimizations and more clocks would help in any regard.

Yeh that was my plan, sell my 560ti on ebay and get some cash towards a better card.

-----

Just not sure about getting another 560ti (less cards, less problems ^^)~160 odd atm or just sell my 560ti maybe 80-100 pound if I'm lucky and just get a ~300 card, the Gigabyte 7950 windforce 3GB http://www.overclock...rodid=GX-098-GI which as far as I can tell is the best 7950 card you can get (better than the equivalent 670), I can get for like 250 pound (+ free games) with the price drops which is basically the same price as the 660ti's and a 670 equivalent for ~300.  Been using nvidia for years now though and well I'm reluctant to change even with such low prices, i think I would miss physx too much.

Also whats is this I'm hearing about Physx being available on AMD cards? something to do with the processor or something?
If this is so, I'm just going to grab the windforce 7950 if its faster than a 670.

Edited by Matsy, 23 November 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#5 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ARM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Physx is a licensed NVidia application. There really isn't an AMD Physx software equivalent. TBH sell your old 560 Ti and put that towards whatever card you want. The 670 or the 7950 are both nice cards. I have used both Nvidia and AMD and I really can't complain about either. The only thing I can say is if you decide to do the AMD, make sure it is a good manufacturer. I have had default heatsink issues with some cards that really sucked.

I really liked my 69xx series card and I also liked my 5XX Nvidia series. Both are fantastic and have advantages over each other.

The new series of cards are pretty damn close to performance, power usage and overall value.

Whatever you decide to grab, you probably won't lose. It is a consumers market right now.

#6 Matsy

Matsy

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3105 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Just wanted to update.
Took the plunge today as the deals I got end today, managed to grab a brand new gigabyte 670 windforce for £276 with discounts + the 2 free games you get with the nvidia cards (which I was going to buy anyway in the steam sales), seems like a smashing deal, can't wait for it to arrive.

Going to sell my 560ti on ebay, hope to get 80~ (wont be hard, its in like new condition and others are going for that price already) effectively making this card cost below £200.

I'm happy ^^

Edited by Matsy, 24 November 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#7 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostBaldur The Bold, on 24 November 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

The only thing I can say is if you decide to do the AMD, make sure it is a good manufacturer. I have had default heatsink issues with some cards that really sucked.

There's pretty much no point in getting a reference card from either company, unless maybe you plan to take it apart and add your own cooling. They're not even much cheaper or particularly easy to find, from what I can tell.

I strongly advise against letting Physx be a major factor in a buying decision, since its so specialized and very rarely useful. Plus, I think there's a way to keep your 560 Ti as a dedicated Physx processor if needed. At any rate, the 670 is a great card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users