• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Suddenly can't run GW2 anymore (black screen on program start)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anarch_Angel

Anarch_Angel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

Alright, so, I finally got around to updating and checking out the lost shore or whatever it's called, update had no problems, but when I try to start the game proper (after hitting the "Play" button on the updater), all I get is a black screen where the title bar for the application window flashes repeatedly, until my screen is just totally black.  That's all.  No character selection, no music, no anything.  In addition, it causes a parsing error in windows (line 903), and anything that relies on my video card drivers in some way either has serious problems or just won't run (e.g. minecraft and photoshop can't even start, I get artifacts in firefox, etc.) until I completely reboot my computer.  Rebooting alleviates the video load issues until I try to run GW2 again.  Naturally this prompted me to update my Nvidia drivers to the most recent distribution, but that did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.  I have to be honest...  I've not have a program error this serious in a number of years, and as far as I can tell, nobody else on the net seems to be having this particular issue.

As stated, this has only started happening with the most recent batch of content updates.  However, I am running XP SP3, so unless somebody has any suggestions up-front aside from the anticipated "lol oldfag get newer Windows," I guess my first question is whether anyone is running XP with an nvidia card and having similar problems.  Any ideas?

Edited by Anarch_Angel, 23 November 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Have you re-booted your computer? (Believe it or not, some people have posted problems on here who haven't simply re-booted.)

Are all of your drivers up to date? (Chipset, audio, etc, as well as video.)

Have you tried running GW2 with "-repair" or "-image"? (Search on these forums for -repair, for details)

And, (I can't resist :) ) - have you considered upgrading to Windows 7?

Edited by Quaker, 23 November 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#3 Anarch_Angel

Anarch_Angel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Yes, I've rebooted, several times in fact.  As I've mentioned, I pretty much have to every time I try to run GW2; whatever this thing is doing manages to break my computer so hard that I can't run most of the applications on my computer until I reboot.

All of my drivers are up to date.  I can't find any newer distributions at this point.

My GW2 install is fine; I've checked it enough.

As for upgrading my OS, I was considering switching to Win8 early next year, although I finally ended up deciding that I want to switch back to Fedora once XP no longer gets the job done.

#4 Anarch_Angel

Anarch_Angel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

Well, I thought the issue had resolved itself; I'd managed to get GW2 to run twice in a row without any problems.  I haven't changed any settings or services or anything since the last time I posted in this thread, either.  However, I started it up one more time, and the problems returned.  Rebooting, once again, didn't change anything.  This doesn't make any damned sense.

Edited by Anarch_Angel, 27 November 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#5 andy1765

andy1765

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Flaky hardware?

Have you another graphics card you can try? Maybe GW2 has just pushed it over the edge ......

#6 Anarch_Angel

Anarch_Angel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

The only other thing I have is the integrated graphics on this board, which isn't supported by GW2.  Besides, I don't think it's the video card; it's still running everything else just fine, including the more graphically demanding programs.  Plus I got it the same month GW2 came out and have been monitoring it like a fussy mother ever since...  No abnormalities so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users