• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

WvW Mesmer: Big-name players, main builds, post-nerf.

wvw mesmer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Theomancer

Theomancer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AoS]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hey guys!

I only recently rolled a Mesmer, so I'm unfamiliar with the strong differences between pre-nerf and post-nerf.  However, all the videos and builds that I find online seem like they are pre-nerf builds, and I'm not sure how they've changed to compensate for the nerfs.

As an engineer player, I was familiar with some "big name" engineer players, and some of the main PvP/WvW build options out there.  Can someone give me the broad layer of the terrain for Mesmer PvP/WvW build options and big name players, as well?  (Especially people who have updated their material post-nerf.)

In particular, I want to use greatsword and sword+focus, but I also could be interested in sword+pistol.  I'm not as keen on the torch, but if there was a build that was compelling enough, I could use it.  I'm not as interested in staff or scepter, even though I know there is at least one player (Kylia Deprigen) that uses these to amazing effectiveness.  (I could also use sword offhand if a build was compelling enough.)

I want to play my mesmer in WvW in two main ways.  First, utility for groups: portals, group stealth, speed, etc.  In this respect, I could run with the zerg, but also run in tactical ops squads, hitting up yaks, camps, etc.  Second, I'm interested in occasionally solo-roaming to find duels.  (I don't think these are mutually exclusive options.)

I kind of like the idea of being a tanky Pow/Tough/Vit mesmer, with lots of clones, rather than a squishy glass-cannon that can die if you sneeze at it.  HOWEVER, if someone could make the case that mesmers make strong glass-cannons due to stealth, clones, etc., I could be very open and willing to roll a Berserker's build.  Or a hybrid, if that's the sweet spot.

I just hit level 80 last night, and already have started getting lots of dungeon tokens to start getting my cool looking gear and exotics.  I appreciate your feedback, and am happy to join the mesmer club!

#2 RandolfRa

RandolfRa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Check the "shatter-cat" thread if you haven't already. A very decent mesmer wvw build there. Mesmers have so many defensive skills that you don't have to rely on armor or health to have surviability. Also, I really think that high burst + element of suprise allows you to take on bigger force better than any amount of armor would.
Ultimately it's really just a matter of preference, of course.

Edited by RandolfRa, 24 November 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#3 Theomancer

Theomancer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AoS]

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostRandolfRa, on 24 November 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Check the "shatter-cat" thread if you haven't already. A very decent mesmer wvw build there. Mesmers have so many defensive skills that you don't have to rely on armor or health to have surviability.

I think that's a good point.  Maybe I'll try that out first, and if I find that I blow up too easily, then I can migrate to more tanky armor.

Thanks for the tip on the shatter-cat, that's precisely the type of information I had in mind. But what are some others?  Surely there's other resources out there. For example, Team Paradigm would be one example -- although the "Expert" guide on their website is out of date, made back in August.

Can anyone provide some links and resources to solid YouTube people, guides, websites, etc.?

#4 flimp

flimp

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SYN]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

You can try my build if you want. Vol.2 and 3 are WvW compilations.

http://www.youtube.c...ser/FLIMPvideos

I focus on solo-roaming/small party fights with a few zerg fights here and there though my purpose really is to go in, blow shit up and gtfo and not really support which is what you wanna do. But support to me would be easily swapping the utilities and chucking in a focus?

#5 Nevhie Bodewig

Nevhie Bodewig

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostTheomancer, on 24 November 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I kind of like the idea of being a tanky Pow/Tough/Vit mesmer, with lots of clones, rather than a squishy glass-cannon that can die if you sneeze at it.  HOWEVER, if someone could make the case that mesmers make strong glass-cannons due to stealth, clones, etc., I could be very open and willing to roll a Berserker's build.  Or a hybrid, if that's the sweet spot.

I'm a Hybrid Mesmer. Called my Build "Magical Warrior Girl" or "Mahou Senshi Shoujo" in JP. The name said it all. I use GS and most of my playstyle same as u stated above. Oh and my Off hands are S+P. Sometimes Sx2 in Dun. But still S+P is the best for me on WVW/ PVP

For utility Group like Portal/ Mass Stealth all Type Mesmer can do that. Just change ur Utility depend on any situation. For the 2nd "solo-roaming to find duels" it will depend on ur playstle. Do u want glass cannon or Hybrid? Or Bunker Condition. Every style has + and -. Just find what suit u most.

For my build i change my 30% Crit damage to Def. I have about 2,2k def without food. I Run WVW with +100tough and 70 Prec Food, I can adapt at any situation and do some tanking coz GS is nice long- Med Range weapon. Only Warrior/ Thief and EL can do 4digits damage on me. But of course i will die if got GBed. My Build is Jack of all trades. My damage is not as high as Flimp/ Osi. Maybe only 70% from their damage. But i have more DEF than Them. Making me standing on mass pvp longer. Harassher.. Yes somekind like that my playstyle on mass PVP( 5++ Enemy)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wvw, mesmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users