• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Silvercat18

Silvercat18

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I`ve had my eye on the greatsaw skin from halloween for a while and have been patiently saving my coins in the thought of purchasing one. The price settled at 30 gold some time back, with a supply on the market of about 100 or so skins.

A while later, the price started to drop. Lost shores was coming as was wintersday and the price, frankly, was too high for anyone to pay for what was, basically, a fancy skin. Lots of people had bought it to make a profit and it was becoming clear that the people who might buy such an item probably didnt have the money that was being asked for it, so they werent selling.

I was hopeful that the price would settle at something lower, say 15 gold. However, the number of saws on the market dropped to about 55 and the price settled at 28. I figured that, as the item was finally becoming rarer, the price was bound to rise. I thought that some folks must have saved the money and bought them.

However, i check today and there are 77 on sale. They are coming back to the market, despite not having been available for ages....and oddly the price is now 39 gold, despite more being around and them clearly not selling.

What they heck is going on? Are people failing to sell them and figuring that putting the price up will actually help? Its really puzzling as its clearly the same ones floating away and back again, not actually being bought by people to use.

#2 malevolence

malevolence

Vanguard Scout

• Community Contributors
  • 422 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LMBO]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I am not 100% sure what is going on, because the availability is growing out of nothing sometimes, 1 day there are 30, next day 100, then next day 50, then another day , 77 and so on, wth, I thought the chest is not dropping this skin anymore, isn't it? I think  people are getting this skin still from somewhere, maybe a bug.

Edited by malevolence, 24 November 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#3 Steadfast Gao Shun

Steadfast Gao Shun

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Most likely the hoarders are releasing their wares. I think there are probably more than one guy who thought investing in those skins would be a good idea.

We don't have an option of "last one sold at X gold," I don't think. So there's no way knowing of whether or not stuff is just being relisted.

#4 madmaxII

madmaxII

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

I think your best chance to pick up this skin for cheap is right before the christmas event starts and people get nervous that there will be new skins which will be more popular than the old ones.

#5 arogar4

arogar4

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

About  2 weeks ago there were 103 greatsword skins and last saturday there were only 48. Some people bought theme because they wanted use them and some for resell. But last sunday people got precursors, so a lot of the hoarders thought that they could invest in precursors and they sold  the weapons.

But this week, the day that I saw more greatswords on tp there were only 82 and that means that 21 persons bought them to wait months or to use them. If every week there are 20 persons who do that their price will increase soon.

If you want one greatsword buy it now, I donĀ“t think you can get cheaper.

Edited by arogar4, 24 November 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#6 Silvercat18

Silvercat18

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Thankyou all for the replies. It seemed such curious market behaviour that i thought it was worth "chewing the fat over" with a discussion.

Madmax makes a good point about waiting till christmas. I wonder what sort of skins will be available then...the lost shores ones really didnt seem that good at all.

#7 squalleonahar

squalleonahar

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

it's all about people bought it and resell for higher profit. we've been talking about this since the end of halloween.
some dude even calling people help in raising the greasaw price. :D
if you see the number of greatsaw up and down too fast , it's just people releasing or buying it in.

but as i've said before, it's a way too long for investing in greatsaw and number of sell are not that great. with that money if you bought Dusk when it 190-200 and then resell it now for 320g "like me" it way better.
also if you bought 70k gems at 70-75 before halloween " like me"  and exchanged it back to gold when it reach 1g5s u can make even more. some people talking about tax, but there aren't. i've check and doing this for many time. all you need is calculating the exchange rate at current time
cough* cough*. :D

the chrismast event are comming. investing in BL keys to get good skin might be a good choice.

1 donation package + 3 exotic trinket ( candy corn amulet) = 7keys > . like 66s ea key.

Edited by squalleonahar, 26 November 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#8 arogar4

arogar4

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

View Postsqualleonahar, on 26 November 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

also if you bought 70k gems at 70-75 before halloween " like me"  and exchanged it back to gold when it reach 1g5s u can make even more. some people talking about tax, but there aren't. i've check and doing this for many time. all you need is calculating the exchange rate at current time
cough* cough*. :D

The exchange of gems to gold is always about 33% less than the echange of gold to gems. So if you buy gems and sell them fast, you lose the 33% of your gold. I think that it is a big tax.

Moreover, the price of the scythe skin has risen x2 in the last two days. Skins are a good investment if you know when to buy and to sell.

#9 squalleonahar

squalleonahar

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

yep, gems to gold is alway less than gold to gems. that is why i said you have to check the CURRENT exchange rate. not the AVERAGE bull S that Anet show you.
when you want to exchange gold to gems, just put number of gold in and u'll see how much gold for 100 gems at that time and that's buy- in price.
when you exchange gems to gold, type in the amount of gems and u'll see how much gems for gold.
you can alway check GW2spidy.com too.

i bought 70k at 70-75s per 100 gems and when i sell gems out, it's exactly at 1g-1g5s. everytime u click trade the rate go up and down some copper as other people doing it at same time as you are.

Edited by squalleonahar, 26 November 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#10 Sajoke

Sajoke

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I planned to pick one of these up for a long term investment because I have a feeling this sword could be worth more than a legendary 1-2 years from now.  Anyone can build a legendary (I know it's not really that simple) but the supply of this awesome weapon is in theory fixed (they could release it again next Halloween).

I saved up some gold and bought one a few weeks ago for 31 gold.  I then watched a youtube video showing how cool this sword was and I couldn't help myself.  I used it and I don't regret it  This saw is awesome!!!  It's not just a Halloween themed item,  it is a bad-ass sword that actually rumbles when you pull it out and it looks amazing.

#11 coglin

coglin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostSajoke, on 27 November 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

I planned to pick one of these up for a long term investment because I have a feeling this sword could be worth more than a legendary 1-2 years from now.  Anyone can build a legendary (I know it's not really that simple) but the supply of this awesome weapon is in theory fixed (they could release it again next Halloween).

I saved up some gold and bought one a few weeks ago for 31 gold.  I then watched a youtube video showing how cool this sword was and I couldn't help myself.  I used it and I don't regret it  This saw is awesome!!!  It's not just a Halloween themed item,  it is a bad-ass sword that actually rumbles when you pull it out and it looks amazing.
I have to admit, I looks good and sexy on you.

#12 Arleanna12

Arleanna12

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I made a lot  of money from halloween, so for me at least skins were a fantastic investment that gave me 300% + return, will that happen again I doubt it too many will be looking for this huge score next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users