Theomancer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AoS]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hey guys, just a quick question:

I'm level 80, and I want to get my level 80 exotic jewelry and cloth armor.  I am level 375 in both jeweler and tailor.

Would it be cheaper to level each of these to 400, buy the mats, then craft the gear?  Or is it expensive enough from 375 to 400 to instead just buy the exotic gear on the TP?

Thanks in advance!

#2 KotCR

KotCR

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Probably not; At least in the case of the Cloth Armor. If you just had to buy the mats for levelling your craft from 375 to 400 then it probably would be cheaper.
Though, unfortunetly you've then go to go and a buy a second set of mats to craft your own gear, which will add up to more cost than just buying the gear straight out overall.

However, it is a more satisfying feeling wearing gear you've crafted yourself, and for any other sets or alts you have in the future, if you already own the materials, it'll be better to craft it than to buy it. You might not have the materials now, but in the future you could when it comes to making stuff for an alt or an alternate set, so you could see it as as long-term investment.

However, if you've got no concerns for that type of thing right now, I'd probably just buy it. It takes a while to build the stash of Gossamer required and it's rather expensive on TP.

Jeweler however is a different story. The accessories are very expensive to buy and whatever you make with it they'll always be someone who wants it, it seems to be one of the more profitible crafting professions at the higher levels (and there's the odd cases in the lower level).

In this case, I'd probably say it does make more sense to get to 400 yourself (especially if you are so close!) and craft your own gear for it. I actually got a character to level their Jewelcrafting to 400 all the way from 0 because I figured it'd be cheaper than just buying the accessories for my 2 80's who needed them (and it was). The 400 stuff actually doesn't take that much to craft compared to the armor-making professions, yet is still just as expensive at TP (if not more).

Ectos are pretty expensive though, so I'd still recommend farming them yourself instead of buying them.

Edited by KotCR, 25 November 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#3 Theomancer

Theomancer

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AoS]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks very much for the extremely thorough and thoughtful response!! It helps tremendously. ^_^

#4 Isbaluna

Isbaluna

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LNA]
  • Server:Ruins of Surmia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

It would probably be better in both cases to simply level the crafts.
For tailoring the price to get from 375-400 isn't particularly high, and the materials to craft your own gears are cheap in comparison to how much you'd pay at the trading post.
For Jeweler the price to get to 400 is a bit higher, but you make that money back by selling the crafted materials you made. The exotic jewelry is more or less the same price to craft as it is to buy, maybe a tiny bit cheaper.

If you need help in getting the last few points in the craft, some of the cheapest ways are here:
http://gw2eclipse.com/jeweller/
http://gw2eclipse.com/tailoring/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users