• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

How does one Cluster bomb effectively in WvW?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Linfang

Linfang

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2362 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have a thief I have been playing more frequently in World verses world and I use the shortbow to it's fullest extent. I understand the mechanics of clusterbomb however in large scale battles not only do I lose my mouse cursor half the time, but I have problems tracking the arrow in order to time the release. Is there any tips or tricks I should use? I was thinking of just firing a fixed distance from me and timing it before I trigger verses a visual cue. I am not sure if being in closer to the fight and firing short archs help verses outside from a distance with long archs.

Also any tips and tricks for hitting people on walls or behind gates? I found targetting the roof above the gate helps, and the very top corner of the highest point of the wall but not sure if I am missing something.

#2 brokerib

brokerib

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HOWL]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

For large scale combat I try to set my target point to just below centre and to the left of my centre of FOV before I enter the battle, and hold right mouse to keep it in place. That way I can circle strafe to the right and still either spam cluster bomb/detonate cluster close to the ground, or end up spamming cluster bomb single explosion.  As long as you keep the right mouse button down, it will always hit the same place in your FOV.  You won't always get the detonate cluster in, but keep in mind that the normal cluster bomb is a blast finisher, so that can be useful in it's own right.

For wall hits, I try to aim for the bottom lip of the wall, or the middle of the gate.  Gate is stationary, as you'll hit anyone repairing or nearby, but for the wall I'll always change my target slightly for each shot to compensate for the movement of players, as they'll always move after 2 shots minimum.  Not a problem with NPCs, but it's rare to find an actual player stupid enough to stand still for that many hits, considering how long it takes for the cluster bomb arc to hit.

One random tip, if you're on a wall, make sure to target any downed enemies with a cluster bomb barrage,  You're bound to hit both them and at least one random who's decided to try and res.

#3 Drtrider

Drtrider

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EtG]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

Posted Image

No really, My suggestion is to predict your target. Where are they going to be? Shoot there and 9 time out of 10 they will run right into it.

#4 Vexd

Vexd

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Cluster bomb is awesome for hitting people on walls at towers/keeps/garrison etc.

I like to set my cluster bomb off just after it has gone past the apex of it's curve, so just after it's reached is maximum height and is starting to fall, I've found this to give good spread but still hit what I'm aiming at.

It mostly boils down to practise since the best time to detonate it is gonna be different everytime, just watch out on your HP and surroundings when you are firing up at a wall, it's hard to see what's going on sometimes when you're concentrating on hitting stuff.s

#5 Shrack

Shrack

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Cluster Bomb is literally one of the best thief skills available out of all weapon sets.  I actually JUST posted a thief video of group play in the pvp videos thread and it mainly showcases large scale AOEing.  It might give you some ideas of where to place a cluster bomb.

Edited by Shrack, 30 November 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#6 SpelignErrir

SpelignErrir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

View PostShrack, on 30 November 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Cluster Bomb is literally one of the best thief skills available out of all weapon sets.  I actually JUST posted a thief video of group play in the pvp videos thread and it mainly showcases large scale AOEing.  It might give you some ideas of where to place a cluster bomb.

"Literally one of the best" is just...such a stupid thing to say, I'm sorry if that sounded mean, but how would one even take that figuratively?

But I do agree with the "one of the best"...it's clunky and you'll hate it at first, but once you start getting used to its speed, you'll be able to hit targets with greater accuracy. Critting 10ks on undergeared underleveled noobs, feelsgoodman

#7 Coffey

Coffey

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VoTF]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Mucho bull and bad advice. Sorry :)

Edited by Coffey, 10 December 2012 - 09:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users