Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Some Prick Hacked my Account


  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RDA

RDA

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Ive just got back from working away on the mines for 2weeks to find that some prick has hacked my account and has been playing it. So i sent a support ticket in got password and account reset go to log in and my characters have all increased in level yet when i try to play i keep getting a stupid error code.

#2 turbo234

turbo234

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Location:Oak Creek, WI
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostRDA, on 28 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

Ive just got back from working away on the mines for 2weeks to find that some prick has hacked my account and has been playing it. So i sent a support ticket in got password and account reset go to log in and my characters have all increased in level yet when i try to play i keep getting a stupid error code.

Sooo, what do you want us to do about it?

#3 RDA

RDA

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

A shoulder to cry on would be nice =)

#4 Geralt Romalion

Geralt Romalion

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Spit it out mate.
It sucks to be hacked, and I hope that eventually it all works out for you.

#5 LavaSquid

LavaSquid

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 452 posts
  • Location:Singapore
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[----]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

At least he leveled your characters.

#6 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

i said this a while back and i stand by it, there are three reasons why i am very reluctant to spend money in the cash shop:

1) i never know when ill be banned - their ToS is very rigid and unforgiving

2) I never know when i'll be hacked.  its so pathetically sad at this point but its like, i know its coming its just a matter of time.  the account security in this game is a joke and even though they said they are making it a priority, we havent heard anything since the "we hired a team" statement.

and 3) there really isnt anything in the cash shop worth buying atm.

#7 Evans

Evans

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

i said this a while back and i stand by it, there are three reasons why i am very reluctant to spend money in the cash shop:

1) i never know when ill be banned - their ToS is very rigid and unforgiving

2) I never know when i'll be hacked.  its so pathetically sad at this point but its like, i know its coming its just a matter of time.  the account security in this game is a joke and even though they said they are making it a priority, we havent heard anything since the "we hired a team" statement.

and 3) there really isnt anything in the cash shop worth buying atm.

I agree with point 3.
I was under the impression that 1 & 2 weren't such a problem anymore.

#8 Green

Green

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

One of the main reasons why people get hacked is that they use the same username/password for the game that they use for other games and internet websites. More specifically websites that sell gold.

Not saying the OP is a gold buyer, just saying.

#9 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

i said this a while back and i stand by it, there are three reasons why i am very reluctant to spend money in the cash shop:

1) i never know when ill be banned - their ToS is very rigid and unforgiving

2) I never know when i'll be hacked.  its so pathetically sad at this point but its like, i know its coming its just a matter of time.  the account security in this game is a joke and even though they said they are making it a priority, we havent heard anything since the "we hired a team" statement.

and 3) there really isnt anything in the cash shop worth buying atm.

1) Don't breach the ToS and you don't need to worry. Simple as that. I have never been banned and I have played daily since head-start. Just use common sense

2) Never even had an attempted hack on my account. As long as you have a unique password and email there is not much to worry about.
Also adding the authenticator application does protect it quite well (unless of course you go with the same email and password...)
They have done quite much to stop "hacking" especially since none of these reports of "hacking" are really hackings at all.
They can't stop people from being stupid however.

#10 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

ok but this thread is about someone who was hacked, recently.

so im sure you do have the impression that hacking doesnt happen anymore but it does, and it did.  it kinda, shatters my confidence.

#11 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

ok but this thread is about someone who was hacked, recently.

so im sure you do have the impression that hacking doesnt happen anymore but it does, and it did.  it kinda, shatters my confidence.

There will always be people that are "hacked".
It has happened in every single online-game in history and it will keep happening, especially since in most cases the fault lies with the player being careless.

People need to stop using the word hacked whenever losing an account however, since in most cases they were not hacked.

#12 CunningMoogle

CunningMoogle

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

You mean, you either shared your information and someone changed it? Or do you mean you downloaded software that had a keylogger in it?

Getting an account hacked is almost impossible, because actually hacking it would require either remote acces to see what someone is typing or acces to the database.

Also why is no one using the function that sends you a mail that you need to confirm when someone tries to long in from a different IP.

#13 Evans

Evans

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

In whichever way it happened, it's only a global problem if it happens to a lot of people in the same time frame, which I don't believe is an issue atm.

That doesn't mean it does not suck for RDA though. Hmmm, your characters got leveled huh. Playing them would feel tainted to me :P
I'd get a makeover kit and change them up, so they're mine again ^^

#14 Linfang

Linfang

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2362 posts
  • Location:Ohio
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I read a story a while back where a guys wife's account was hacked. Once Anet restored it she was level 80 with over a 100 gold and Anet basically responded by ole well, have fun with it.

#15 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 29 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

There will always be people that are "hacked".
It has happened in every single online-game in history and it will keep happening, especially since in most cases the fault lies with the player being careless.

People need to stop using the word hacked whenever losing an account however, since in most cases they were not hacked.

honestly, i dont remember hearing about anyone getting hacked in swtor.  

account hacking is very preventable, its up to the devs to secure accounts.

#16 Evans

Evans

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostLinfang, on 29 November 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

I read a story a while back where a guys wife's account was hacked. Once Anet restored it she was level 80 with over a 100 gold and Anet basically responded by ole well, have fun with it.

Why is it so hard to get money in this game?

:P

#17 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

honestly, i dont remember hearing about anyone getting hacked in swtor.  

account hacking is very preventable, its up to the devs to secure accounts.

Then you are most likely either ignoring those reports or simply haven't followed the game closely enough.

Account HACKING yes.
And devs have security there, and have yet to have a single breach of that security since release. All of these reported "hackings" are however not actual hackings.

#18 CunningMoogle

CunningMoogle

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

honestly, i dont remember hearing about anyone getting hacked in swtor.  

account hacking is very preventable, its up to the devs to secure accounts.

You should secure your own account, it's mostly the customers fault, for using same passwords for everything, also ignoring features like the IP check. Or even the mobile check.

Tbh it's probaly your own fault.
Also check everything you download.

#19 Gremlin

Gremlin

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

While there is nothing we can do on this forum about someone being hacked I try not to give the player a hard time by saying its usually their fault.
Never been hacked in gw1 or 2 but I do know someone who has been, and since I know their computer capabilities I am comfortable in saying it wasn't his fault.
We as players have no idea how many have genuinely been hacked even though they have followed the guidelines or whether the majority did something really stupid like telling someone their password.

I will say in the one example I know about there was a real problem getting the account back because the email saying we believe you have been hacked went to the person who did the hacking.
Surely its obvious that if the email address and password of the game have been changed and anet suspect something they need to send the warning email to the original email address.
What they actually did was warn the hacker that they were on to him and basically say hurry up and sell everything.

Anyway the account was returned completely stripped his gw1 account too.
He was given the option to stop playing both games and they could maybe return everything at some future time weeks or months away.
If he continued playing then they couldnt return anything.
I have seen the emails he received and since I passed on his problem to anet I received some of those emails myself.

He continued playing gw2 so only the gw1 account was returned to its pre hacked condition.

#20 Cobalt60

Cobalt60

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

i said this a while back and i stand by it, there are three reasons why i am very reluctant to spend money in the cash shop:

1) i never know when ill be banned - their ToS is very rigid and unforgiving

2) I never know when i'll be hacked.  its so pathetically sad at this point but its like, i know its coming its just a matter of time.  the account security in this game is a joke and even though they said they are making it a priority, we havent heard anything since the "we hired a team" statement.

and 3) there really isnt anything in the cash shop worth buying atm.

1 and 2 are completely on you.

But you sound like the kind of person who would blame ANet for you being a dumb*.

#21 The_Tree_Branch

The_Tree_Branch

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

honestly, i dont remember hearing about anyone getting hacked in swtor.  

account hacking is very preventable, its up to the devs to secure accounts.

It's up to players to choose strong and unique passwords. They have a mobile authenticator. They have that approved network tool. Beyond that, its up to the players to not be dumb.

Download a tool like Keepass to help manage and secure your accounts.

#22 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

Don't tell me that guy also attended the one-time event on your behalf and got you a precursor and loads of gold. If yes, I'd love to find out how to hack your a/c as well :D j/k :P
Just be glad you got your a/c back and take precautions to prevent it in future.

#23 Trei

Trei

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostCunningMoogle, on 29 November 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Also why is no one using the function that sends you a mail that you need to confirm when someone tries to long in from a different IP.
We are... I am.
For some reason, the OP isn't.

We can bring a horse to water.......

View PostRickter, on 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

account hacking is very preventable, its up to the devs to secure accounts.
And they do.
Our accounts are perfectly secure, on their end.

Are you doing your due diligence on yours?

#24 Volomon

Volomon

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

Using player accounts to mine and gather material is a standard practice.  They sometimes sell your stuff, sometimes they don't.  They "borrow" accounts that are not being used.  Send it around to storage characters.  I wouldn't worry about it to much.  I've had it happen to me in WOW never used the account decided to play again had like 20 random letter named characters but they never touched the main characters.

#25 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

View PostTrei, on 30 November 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

And they do.
Our accounts are perfectly secure, on their end.

Are you doing your due diligence on yours?

you know its funny, ive had maybe 3-4 people quote what i said in this thread when. . . the OP is the one that actually did get hacked.  so why dont you guys direct comments like the one i quoted towards him?

i just said hacking was a common occurance in GW2, so common it was pathetically sad and that if it were this common, i feel like ANet could be doing more on their end to help secure some accounts.  i have a diffferent password for my GW2 than any other account i own.  sorry if im not confident in that.  but threads like these dont really boost my confidence either.

#26 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

View PostRickter, on 30 November 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

you know its funny, ive had maybe 3-4 people quote what i said in this thread when. . . the OP is the one that actually did get hacked.  so why dont you guys direct comments like the one i quoted towards him?

i just said hacking was a common occurance in GW2, so common it was pathetically sad and that if it were this common, i feel like ANet could be doing more on their end to help secure some accounts.  i have a diffferent password for my GW2 than any other account i own.  sorry if im not confident in that.  but threads like these dont really boost my confidence either.

But the thing is: it is not a common thing. There have, as far as we know, never been a SINGLE hacking in Guild Wars 2.

They have very high security at their end, with multiple authentication gates. What else can they do?
Change the password randomly each 5 minutes?
Stop anyone from ever logging into an account outside of the IP that bought it?
Force voice recognition to log in?
Or fingerprints?

They are doing all they can, but they can't force people from stupidity and carelessness.

#27 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostLordkrall, on 30 November 2012 - 07:27 AM, said:

But the thing is: it is not a common thing. There have, as far as we know, never been a SINGLE hacking in Guild Wars 2.

They have very high security at their end, with multiple authentication gates. What else can they do?
Change the password randomly each 5 minutes?
Stop anyone from ever logging into an account outside of the IP that bought it?
Force voice recognition to log in?
Or fingerprints?

They are doing all they can, but they can't force people from stupidity and carelessness.

ok cool, so tell that to the OP.  thats all im saying.  i voiced an opinion.  i mean its just my opinion.  i am not confident in ANet or GW2 account security.  but i havent been hacked, the OP has.  so i guess what you are trying to say indirectly to him by saying it directly to me, is that he is stupid and careless?

stop using me as the scapegoat. . .

#28 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostRickter, on 30 November 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

ok cool, so tell that to the OP.  thats all im saying.  i voiced an opinion.  i mean its just my opinion.  i am not confident in ANet or GW2 account security.  but i havent been hacked, the OP has.  so i guess what you are trying to say indirectly to him by saying it directly to me, is that he is stupid and careless?

stop using me as the scapegoat. . .

No, the OP is not the one shouting about how ArenaNets security suck. You are. And you clearly don't understand the difference between hacking and losing your account. Hacking would mean that they breached ArenaNets server, if that was the case a huge amount of accounts would have been compromised, which clearly is not the case.

The security at ArenaNets end is more or less the best it can get without inconvenience players. The fault lies with the personal security of the players. Simple as that.

#29 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostLordkrall, on 30 November 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

No, the OP is not the one shouting about how ArenaNets security suck. You are. And you clearly don't understand the difference between hacking and losing your account. Hacking would mean that they breached ArenaNets server, if that was the case a huge amount of accounts would have been compromised, which clearly is not the case.

The security at ArenaNets end is more or less the best it can get without inconvenience players. The fault lies with the personal security of the players. Simple as that.

ok so its secure, awesome, i'll take your word for it.  

now what?  is there a point to this thread?

#30 Trei

Trei

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostRickter, on 30 November 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:



ok cool, so tell that to the OP.  thats all im saying.  i voiced an opinion.  i mean its just my opinion.  i am not confident in ANet or GW2 account security.  but i havent been hacked, the OP has.  so i guess what you are trying to say indirectly to him by saying it directly to me, is that he is stupid and careless?

stop using me as the scapegoat. . .
Ah... perhaps I could have worded it as "has he...?" instead.

Nevertheless, my post was intended to be directed just as much to you as to the OP, because your opinion implied that you too feel that it is up to only the game developers to secure accounts.

If that is not what you actually believe at all, then I apologize for my erroneous assumption.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users