6 replies to this topic

#1 el hefe

el hefe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

hi,

recently my computer screen has been going black.  moving the mouse ends the blackness,  but what could be causing this?

thanks in advance for any help.

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Are you referring to the normal "screen blanking" that's set in Control Panel, or does it randomly go black as you play?

Or, to rephrase that, does it go black after a certain amount of inactivity, or does it happen while you are using it?

In any case, go to your Control Panel and under Power Options/"Choose when to turn off the display", make sure that it's not set to some ridiculously short time.

Edited by Quaker, 29 November 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#3 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'll point the obvious possibility, the monitor is set to turn off after a certain period of time and said period is too short. It fits the behavior you're describing. That should be somewhere in the windows power settings. Maybe you inadvertently changed the power plan, that could explain the change in behavior.

EDIT: ninja'ed by Quaker.

Edited by tijo, 29 November 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#4 el hefe

el hefe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

thanks for replies.  i will check my power settings but,  i've never done that before so im not sure how i could have changed them.  it only happens when im on the desktop screen.  if im not moving the mouse the screen turns black.   i travel for work and recently downloaded skyrim onto my laptop.  i thought i could have possibly pushed my cpu or gpu to the limits and fried my whole computer.  but i will check the power settings.  thanks.

#5 el hefe

el hefe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

so,  it's not my power settings.  could it be that i fried my cpu or gpu?  or does anyone else have any thoughts?  it just flickers to black screen when  igo to my desktop.  but when i move my mouse the black goes away.

#6 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1974 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

View Postel hefe, on 29 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

so,  it's not my power settings.  could it be that i fried my cpu or gpu?  or does anyone else have any thoughts?  it just flickers to black screen when  igo to my desktop.  but when i move my mouse the black goes away.

Running a game on a slow system sucks, but its not likely to cause damage unless there's already a problem with the system. Besides, hardware damage to the CPU and GPU usually causes really serious symptoms, like hard crashes, system restarts and visual artifacts in games. It would be at its worst while you're stressing the hardware, not just sitting at the desktop.

The fact that moving your mouse fixes it still makes it sound like the monitor is just going to sleep for some reason. Are you running on battery power or on your laptop's power adapter? Check with the adapter if you haven't already and see if that changes anything.

#7 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

There may even be a setting for screen blanking in the monitor itself. (If it's a desktop.)

Edited by Quaker, 30 November 2012 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users