P4ndora, on 29 November 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:
Personally I don't want a level cap increase. It's just another way to bring more gear threadmill into the game. The bonus levels are not a problem, as I think I'd have reached lv80 3+ times already with my main. The problem is, you'll most likely need better gear (for example lv90) so the old gears will be useless, aka there goes the gear treadmill. Another problem is all the balance we'll have by then will be lost, from my past MMO experiences after increasing the level cap the balance just breaks a little and the devs have to tweak the skills all the time (yes I know that proper balance probably won't occur in any MMO tho). My last concern is that with higher level caps we need new high level zones. GW2 already lacks of pure 80 zones and we all know what happened with lower level zones.... I just can't imagine how will they implement higher level cap.
The game as it is now, despite my above post, imo doesn't support more levels without making some considerations first:
1) Traits: Do we get more trait points? If so, are there more trait lines? More points than 30 to spend?
2) Stats: How will stats scale? At lower levels 1 point of precision is much more valuable than at 80 where you need over 20 points to get 1% crit. How will this be at higher levels above 80? This will make choices in trait trees, unless redesigned not as impacting as they originally wanted. The decision to go for synergies, boons and anything % based becomes much more attractive than gaining 300 points of precision which might give you only 10% crit increase, while you have to stomach less than desirable traits.
3) Dynamic Scaling: will that be fixed or will a level 90 or level 100 only have to look at a level 5 mob and it dies. No need to even unshealth your weapon.
4) will sPVP be adjusted?
5) WvW boosted even higher?
6) More crafting levels, more throwaway items? Reworking of crafting system? More recipes?
7) more utilities skills? Or first balance out what we have? How well will they scale?
I think gear treadmill is the last
consideration when we look at a level cap increase. The entire game system as I see it, does not really support new levels.
They could easily increase the level cap to allow players even more customization without increasing gear level. But this would require reworking a lot of things. Likewise, dont increase the available traits/skills but increase gear would be another way. Or both.. Either way, it would be a seemingly lot of work to balance.