Alleji, on 29 November 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:
- Low-scaling rewards. A lvl 10 completing an event will earn about 0.5 silver. A lvl 80 gets 1.5 silver. Compare to a lvl 10 quest in WoW rewarding 3.5 silver and lvl 60 in vanilla about 50 silver (it varied and I can't remember exactly - been a long time). A maxed character in GW2 earns 3x more for doing basic activities than a low lvl character, whereas a maxed character in WoW made 15x more.
- High taxes everywhere. To continue the above example, a waypoint to a nearby place at lvl 10 costs 10 copper. A waypoint at lvl 80 costs 1.5 silver. In other words, a 15x increase, when rewards increase only 1.5x. WoW doesn't have waypoints, but flight paths don't scale with level at all, just with distance (and ones in expansion areas are more expensive, but we're talking no expansions here). Trading post tax is also quite high at 15%, compared to WoW's 5% tax off the profits + variable listing fee, which almost never came close to 10%.
All your arguments are invalid because these 2 points are not valid.
1) I farm Southsun Cove on a Level 80 Mesmer with Rare Explorer armor stats and no other magic find stuff for 70 silver in 30mins.
2) I farm 7 silver on my Level 10 newly created Ranger with shit armor/weapons in 30mins.
Conclusion: It is definitely easier to farm gold on a level 80 than a Level 10 in the same amount of time.
In addition, doing an Ascalonian Catacombs Explorer Dungeon ANY path, will net me MINIMUM 80 Silver per run.
That is to say 80 SILVER and 60-69 Ascalonian Tears in 30 mins.
Use 1 Omnomberry Bar. Spider Drops 14 silver, Kholer drops 14 silver, Final Boss 21 Silver, End 26 Silver. 2-3 Bags of Gold = 6-9 Silver. This is NOT including selling junk loot and the occasional lucky rare.
3) How much do you know about Economics? Without a Tax Rate, the economy of GW2 will spiral out of control due to gold being earned easily. Everything worth something, such as Lodestones, Ectos whatever, will skyrocket in price because there is NO reliable gold sink.
Sure its possible to use the mail function to sell/buy stuff from others, but theres the risk you take, you only do so with close friends or guildmates. Thats the whole point. If everyone could trade with no risk, then there wont be a gold sink. FURTHERMORE, map chat will be full of spam offers.
4) It is surprising that you, a person who bothered to check out Ecto drop rate, did not bother to check that the entire transaction fee of the Trading Post is NOT 15%, but 10%, 5% listing fee and 5% sales fee.