Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

With Current Ecto Prices...Salvage or TP Rare Loot?


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 BreadBuddy

BreadBuddy

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Back when I had Black Lion kits I'd always salvage when I lost them I'd sell.


With current price of ectos though I dunno...

help?

#2 TakumiUsui

TakumiUsui

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

If Ecto prizes increase, then Rares will be  more expensive too. It should not change much.

#3 Sprinks

Sprinks

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HLK]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

If the rare is selling for > the price of ectos, then TP. If it's < than the price of ectos, I usually salvage. YMMV

#4 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

The ratio itself wouldn't change much because if ectos rise rares/exos will rise too.
Keep in mind the gem price has risen dramatically, so it's much more expensive to buy BL salvage kits.

#5 Nexdeus

Nexdeus

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I farm dungeons for tokens, use the tokens to purchase the rares, and then salvage for ectos. It's a great profit right now with the price of ectos being what they are right now.
CoF, HoTW are the ones I cycle through to get those rares since they are the quickest.

#6 Zhahz

Zhahz

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 643 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostTakumiUsui, on 01 December 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

If Ecto prizes increase, then Rares will be  more expensive too. It should not change much.

Yep.  Prices end up being similar between the two minus the black lion salvage cost to salvage factor, which has got to be pretty brutal if you need to do currency exchange to get them.  I've got lucky and got 2 kits via the daily recently (only times ever though).
.

#7 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

If you really in need of gold, sell them.
If not, salvage & gamble.  Salvage it might earn you up to 3 ecto, that's x3 the price but you also might end up getting nothing at all.

#8 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have the same dilemma. I still have some Black Lion Kits but I am not sure what to do when they are gone. Master/Mystic Salvage Kits have only a 25% chance to recover an ecto. That means you have a 75% chance to completely lose the item.
I just can't see how I can justify salvaging rares then. The price of a single rare is close to the price of an ecto. If you only get ectos once every four times you salvage an ecto you lose even if you get 3.
Seriously, I once thought Black Lion Kits are a nice-to-have item but when seeing today's market they seem to be a P2W item.
(please don't tell me now that you can get them for free, too. Chances are low and demand for ectos is sky-high)

#9 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostmadmaxII, on 02 December 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

I have the same dilemma. I still have some Black Lion Kits but I am not sure what to do when they are gone. Master/Mystic Salvage Kits have only a 25% chance to recover an ecto. That means you have a 75% chance to completely lose the item.
I just can't see how I can justify salvaging rares then. The price of a single rare is close to the price of an ecto. If you only get ectos once every four times you salvage an ecto you lose even if you get 3.
Seriously, I once thought Black Lion Kits are a nice-to-have item but when seeing today's market they seem to be a P2W item.
(please don't tell me now that you can get them for free, too. Chances are low and demand for ectos is sky-high)

Ecto isn't rarer mats or upgrade.
Rarer mats = T6 mats

If ecto is a rarer mats, with 25% chance of master salvage.  Most people wouldn't salvage it anymore where the chance of 75% fail.  Doesn't make sense.

Edited by xExitium, 02 December 2012 - 01:32 AM.


#10 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostxExitium, on 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Ecto isn't rarer mats or upgrade.
Rarer mats = T6 mats

If ecto is a rarer mats, with 25% chance of master salvage.  Most people wouldn't salvage it anymore where the chance of 75% fail.  Doesn't make sense.

I hope it is like that and I have seen many people claim so but I have yet to see a reliable source to prove it.

(And if we only argue about wording, an ecto is definitely "rarer" than mithril and silk)

#11 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostmadmaxII, on 02 December 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

I hope it is like that and I have seen many people claim so but I have yet to see a reliable source to prove it.

(And if we only argue about wording, an ecto is definitely "rarer" than mithril and silk)

Ecto is a special crafting mats. Not rare or fine, we all know that right?

Crafting mats = T1 Copper ore - T6 Orichalcum Ore, T1-T6 Wood & T1-T6 cloth/leather
Fine mats = bone, fang, claw, etc..
Rare mats = silver, shard, lodestone

Glob of Ectoplasms are special crafting material that have a chance to be obtained from salvaging rare and exotic items with a level requirement of 68 or higher in addition to normal crafting materials and upgrade components. -Official GW2

If you all did read carefully, under salvage kit description it only mention crafting material.  That explain why there's no bone, fang etc or lodestone when you did your salvage.


Edit:  Don't be offended.  I'm trying to educate people from false information people been spreading around.
Here's a screenshot I taken just now to prove it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see, I tried 2 crude salvage kit on 2 rare item.  I failed to get nothing for 1st, but a glob from 2nd.
However, crude salvaging won't give you any chance of getting Orichalcum Ore.

Edited by xExitium, 02 December 2012 - 01:57 AM.


#12 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

Okay, amazing, I stand corrected.

Thanks.


Be careful, nothing is for sure atm

Edited by madmaxII, 02 December 2012 - 02:47 AM.


#13 Takato

Takato

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1475 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Mind is blown, that's just the proof I wanted for salvaging.

#14 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

It is suggested to salvage rare with master kit because of the 80% recover upgrade, not that 25% rarer mats.

Edit: Sorry, rarer mats recover isn't T6 mats but higher tier of current.
Because all I did was salvage Lv76-80, and mithril higher tier are orichalcum.

Edited by xExitium, 02 December 2012 - 02:14 AM.


#15 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Just tried it with 6 rare items and crude salvage kits and got one ecto.

Maybe I have bad luck and you had luck but I still need a source with more data.

#16 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostmadmaxII, on 02 December 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

Just tried it with 6 rare items and crude salvage kits and got one ecto.

Maybe I have bad luck and you had luck but I still need a source with more data.

Be it what ever kit you use, you will get ecto from salvging lvl 68 above rare.
However, there's still a chance of getting 0 ecto from rare/exotic you salvaged.

Rare - 0-3 Ecto
Exotic - 0-5 Ecto

That's why ecto is special crafting material, & name are in orange.
The chance of getting are pure random.  If you're one real lucky, u get maximum out of it.  If you're one real unlucky guy of the world, you get nothing & I hope you stop continue for awhile before despair fall upon you. xD

Edited by xExitium, 02 December 2012 - 02:39 AM.


#17 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Problem is that Black Lion Kit actually gives me the 50% feeling.

You salvaged 2 items, I salvaged 6, that's not a lot.

But for now, I value Black Lion Kits way higher.

#18 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Well, if BLK give you a safer feeling for salvaging ecto I won't stop you.
Since the false claim about ecto being a rarer mats, you're you using a crude salvage kit which is 0% of salvage rarer material.
Think about it.

#19 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostxExitium, on 02 December 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Well, if BLK give you a safer feeling for salvaging ecto I won't stop you.
Since the false claim about ecto being a rarer mats, you're you using a crude salvage kit which is 0% of salvage rarer material.
Think about it.

Still Black Lion Kit would have given me more ectos. They have comfirmed their 50/50 rate for hundreds of rares.

Crude failed.

#20 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Here's another screenshot I salvage with crude. 4 of it, got 3.

Posted Image

#21 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

Make a video.

Edit: I don't want to sound offensive, but my tests with crude salvage kits (way more than 6 now) failed horribly while you claim that you get ectos frequently. One of us has to be very lucky or unlucky.

Edited by madmaxII, 02 December 2012 - 05:03 AM.


#22 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

I'll try to get more rare & video it then. =/

Edit:



2nd video because left with 4 crude kit, brought 4 rare & salvage with it.

Edited by xExitium, 02 December 2012 - 07:53 AM.


#23 Mr_Finesse

Mr_Finesse

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 301 posts
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Guild Tag:[WB]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

My question is, is it a worthwhile to make money?  If ecto's are ~32s and the lowest rares are at ~30s, it doesn't seem as if there is much of a profit to be had.

#24 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

If you're asking is it worth the time & effort to buy the cheapest rare @ 30s/ea, salvage & resell the ecto which at 32~38s/ea.
The answer is, No.

Like I mention before, salvaging a lvl 68~80 rare give a random chance of 0-3 ecto.  What if get nothing out of it?  You spending 30s on mithril ore in return which is x100 times more expensive from original price at 30c/ea.

I actually did tried before.
I brought 20 rare @ 27s/ea while ecto on 31s/ea, salvage it & got 14 ecto back, lost 6 ecto.  
I only can remember there's 2 rare give me back 2 glob while 10 actually gave me nothing.
That's 1.86g throw into the drain.

Edited by xExitium, 02 December 2012 - 06:23 PM.


#25 Frehya

Frehya

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well, on average you get one ecto / rare (I salvaged like 500 rares and sold ectos back when it was profitable). Still, if you'd buy rares for 30s and sell Ectos for 35s you'd still lose money because you gotta calculate with tp fees (15%), which means you'd only get 35*0,85=29,75 back. It's probably still possible though to buy rares cheaper using buy orders.

#26 Scubazombeh

Scubazombeh

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Does anyone here have any idea on what small sample size means? Comon people.

#27 madmaxII

madmaxII

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

If you have spare t5 materials recycle them. It's worth it atm.

#28 WhirlEVic

WhirlEVic

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Official forums occasionally do have something useful:

https://forum-en.gui...ats-Spreadsheet

Before I saw this data, it was my gut feeling that 10 rares yield approximately 7-8 ectos using the master kit.  No hard numbers to back up my feelings though.

Edited by WhirlEVic, 03 December 2012 - 04:02 PM.


#29 McSumo

McSumo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Does anyone know if the plain rares that often drop in fractals, are just normal with regard to ecto chance? A friend has said that he doesn't think they give any at all, but I could have sworn I saw mention of them working normally.

#30 xExitium

xExitium

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostMcSumo, on 05 December 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

Does anyone know if the plain rares that often drop in fractals, are just normal with regard to ecto chance? A friend has said that he doesn't think they give any at all, but I could have sworn I saw mention of them working normally.

It will give 0-3 ecto as long its a Lvl 68 & above rare.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users