• Curse Sites
Help
* - - - - 1 votes

Whats a good class for someone just starting to PvP?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly32

Lilly32

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have tried PvP in other games like Rift, SW:ToR, and WoW and while I did enjoy it I found out I was pretty bad.  It was probably due to the fact that in those games in order to be great at PvP you had to use 30-40 keybinds and Im only useful when I use 10 or less.  Using 40 keybinds isnt fun for me its work and why a game would require you to use that many to be halfway decent just baffles me.  Hell real life PvP only uses 2 keybinds...the trigger and reload so a game having so many just seems dumb.  Since its impossible to have that many in this game I figured I might actually do a little better in PvP rather than being at the rez spot 99% of the time like I was in the other games I played,

While I know it comes down to "pick a class you like and then just practice with it until you are good"  I dont want to start out with the one with the steepest learning curve and then rage quit out of frustration.  Id like a profession thats easy to pick up with a low skill cap.  Something like that I can get better with while not got burned out because Im dead all the time.  Pretty much looking for the opposite of an Elementalist that has to go through all their attunements depending on what ever different situations they find themselves in.

Edited by Lilly32, 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#2 turbo234

turbo234

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1038 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

I would try something simple like a ranger or a warrior.

#3 Lilly32

Lilly32

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Postturbo234, on 02 December 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

I would try something simple like a ranger or a warrior.

Was actually thinking either Guardian or warrior.  Forums are full of ranger QQ so might avoid them.  Probably because they all say warriors are a better ranged class.  Watching a bunch of differnt videos now to see if that helps me any.

#4 turbo234

turbo234

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1038 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostLilly32, on 02 December 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Was actually thinking either Guardian or warrior.  Forums are full of ranger QQ so might avoid them.  Probably because they all say warriors are a better ranged class.  Watching a bunch of differnt videos now to see if that helps me any.

The ranger shortbow has the best autoattack dps along with bleeds, poison, cripple and an interrupt/stun. It's a good weapon to use. Greatsword on a ranger is pretty decent as well, but then again it's great on every profession that uses one.

#5 Piteous

Piteous

Asuran Acolyte

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 98 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostLilly32, on 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I have tried PvP in other games like Rift, SW:ToR, and WoW and while I did enjoy it I found out I was pretty bad.

imo, In zerg warfare it doesn't matter how bad you are, just show up and help your team mates. You will learn as you go, this is the first game where I actually think I am decent in pvp, not bragging by a long shot, just feels different in this game.

#6 Norseman

Norseman

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NORD]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Start with warrior, they are def. the easymode class right now in PvP and fit the characteristics you're looking for. Then branch out later when it starts getting boring (too easy).

#7 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

View Postturbo234, on 03 December 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

The ranger shortbow has the best autoattack dps along with bleeds, poison, cripple and an interrupt/stun. It's a good weapon to use. Greatsword on a ranger is pretty decent as well, but then again it's great on every profession that uses one.

ANet devs love some greatsword.

Although mesmer greatsword has a pretty significant bug introduced last patch.  We've been told it will be fixed on the 14th.

#8 Setharos

Setharos

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dust]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

you can do as 90% of the community and pick a thief for spvp =P

#9 YreepYreep

YreepYreep

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Things get easy with practice. That said, rangers and warriors are easy to pick up.

#10 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Honestly, pick the class you're most familiar with. I love running a condition/bunker Ranger.

Regardless of what you pick, at some point I recommend playing Mesmer and Thief. Playing the "difficult" classes is the best way to learn how to play against them. And don't be afraid to try new builds and lose! Even if you lose miserably, you still gain rank/glory. Personally, I've learned more from my losses than my wins.

#11 Piteous

Piteous

Asuran Acolyte

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 98 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Try a thief, you only have to move two fingers to play it, doesn't get any easier then that.

#12 lioka qiao

lioka qiao

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[BP]

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yea.. thieves only go so far as trap hunters allow.  I could not defeat this trap hunter the other day in sPvP with my thief.  Alot of good thief builds require you to get into melee range of your target and trappers you just can't get to melee range of.

To get into pvp I would pick whatever class you rolled main for PvE and just jump right into sPvP with it.  You're already familiar with that class' core mechanics.  That's half the battle: figuring out what your class is good at.  The other half is figuring out how to pvp in general and that only comes with practice.  If you don't like your main you can roll a new class to try it out in sPvP.

Heres the fun part about sPvP:  Anet left the "Random Arena" mechanic in this game.  When you're at the browser click the Play Now button at the bottom and it will automatically match you with players of your skill level.  It tells your skill level by your rank in PvP, which you accumulate through experience in sPvP.  This means if you're new to pvp you can jump in and be pitted against other newcomers.

#13 fafnr

fafnr

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostSetharos, on 12 December 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

you can do as 90% of the community and pick a thief for spvp =P

Amen.   You master 4 or 5 buttons on a thief an you can kill anyone you want that isnt 100% ready for you.

#14 Maxtofunator

Maxtofunator

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

If you want a really easy job you should actually pick up a more bunker class. Whether that be a  bunker guardian, AH damage guardian, bunker warrior, or pistol/shield elixer engineer, it is easy to learn the pvp system with a more bunker based survivable class until you start to learn other classes and your class, and you can slowly add in more damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users