#1 Crystal Rose

Crystal Rose

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 62 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm looking for a good gaming keyboard to replace my shoddy non-gamer one.  Any recommendations around $100?  I've never used a programmable one but would like to know if there are users out there who have one that works well with gw2.

Thanks in advance.  :)

#2 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'll give the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 or X6 a shout out.  The x4 at least is also more like $50-60 and should do all you want it to. ;)

#3 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

The X4 is a good choice, feels good to type on and it's the keyboard i'd recommend for anyone on a budget, everyone I know who owns one likes it.

I'm using a Mionix Zibal 60 and I love it, but I doubt you'll find one in your price range unless it's on sale. I've also used the CMStorm quickfire rapid red which i also like a lot, especially when you have limited desk space since it eschews the numpad. The quickfire rapid is great to bring to LANs  too.

One i wouldn't get is the razer black widow. It's not a bad keyboard, but for it's price (both the standard and ultimate version), it's too expensive for the build quality is has.

Edited by tijo, 02 December 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#4 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3324 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

First off, I'll point out that the only real difference in a "gaming" keyboard is programmable/macro keys. Other than that, a keyboard is a keyboard. I've seen some "gaming keyboards" which were just basic keyboards with an edgy design and colourful accents. :)

You could consider the Logitech G110 or G510.
http://www.logitech....ct/5902?crid=26

P.S - for you technophiles out there, I'm not suggesting that all keyboards are the same, just that many keyboards that are sold as "gaming keyboards" are not really designed for gaming - just designed to sell.

P.P.S. - I use a Logitech G19, but I don't recommend it because the LCD is not as useful as I thought it would be.

Edited by Quaker, 04 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#5 T-D-C

T-D-C

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TAV]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I like my Logitech G19 as it has a small LCD screen that works with GW2. It shows Player Stats but I mostly use it to keep track of my Area and World Completion.

#6 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Skip the Logitech G510... I own one, and I've been terribly disappointed with it as time has gone on.  Would trade it any day of the week for a Razer.

#7 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostCrystal Rose, on 02 December 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

I'm looking for a good gaming keyboard to replace my shoddy non-gamer one.  Any recommendations around $100?  I've never used a programmable one but would like to know if there are users out there who have one that works well with gw2.

Do you definitely intend to use the programmable keys? If not, or if you're unsure, you may consider just skipping the feature. There's a lot of very nice keyboards out there without them that may save you some money.

I've got a Corsair Vengeance K90. It was pretty expensive at $120, and in retrospect I probably would have been just as happy with the cheaper K60 that lacks the programming features. I personally think its most important that you find one that has a design and key mechanism that you find comfortable and enjoyable to use.

#8 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

View Posttypographie, on 04 December 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

I personally think its most important that you find one that has a design and key mechanism that you find comfortable and enjoyable to use.

I wholly agree with this. In my case, macro keys on the left actually mess up with how i instinctively place my hands on the keyboard so i prefer not having macro keys on the left, it's alrgiht if they're on top.

My Zibal 60 is marketed as a gaming keyboard, but it has no macro functions. The things I like about personally are the passthrough for the audio, the USB hub in it, the cherry MX black switched and the backlight. Getting a keyboard that feels right is priceless, it doesn't matter if you paid 40$ for it or 150$ for it, as long as it feels right to you.

Edited by tijo, 04 December 2012 - 03:51 AM.

#9 soxx

soxx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

I have a Saitek Cyborg V7 that I picked up cheap when Circuit City went bankrupt.  Still going strong even after three/four years; my only complaint is that it's a huge keyboard.   I've never used its programmable keys, but like the posters above mentioned - I love the way it types and I like the backlight colors.

Edited by soxx, 04 December 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#10 Ncyphe

Ncyphe

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

One word, Naga.

TBH, due to the design of GW2, gaming keyboards don't provide as much of an advantage versus other MMOs.

Hell, I have a Logitech G13 that I originally bought for WoW 3 years ago, with 25 programmable buttons.  The second I got into Jade Quarry, just after the server first went live, I spent an hour trying to configure my G13; however, I was so used to my NAGA (cause that all I used in SWtOR) that I kept using it instead of my G13, despite how hard I tried.

Back to GW2, due to the fact that the skill bar uses only 10 buttons, of which are easily organized into 3s, it almost seems like the interface was designed for it.

Get a back lit keyboard and a naga, that's my suggestion.

#11 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

View Posttijo, on 04 December 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

In my case, macro keys on the left actually mess up with how i instinctively place my hands on the keyboard so i prefer not having macro keys on the left, it's alrgiht if they're on top.

Fortunately the left-side macro keys on the K90 are recessed down about a half-inch below where the rest of the keys (caps lock, tab, etc) are, so its very easy to tell where the macro keys begin touch alone. Consequently I've never had that problem personally, but I can definitely see where that would be enormously annoying on another board.

Just one example of why I don't regret this purchase as much as I should. :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users