• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LordBlades

LordBlades

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

I've just hit 80 with my guardian last night (also have an lvl 80 mesmer) and now I want to start a 3rd char. I've tried every other profession for a bit (around level 5-10), and the only ones that Iike are necromancer and elementalist.

So I'm looking for help to decide: which is the best class? My main PvP interest is WvW, but I do play sPvP occasionally.

#2 Ramanadjinn

Ramanadjinn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

i see you're not considering making a ranger.

you will do fine then.

#3 Snowulf

Snowulf

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Guild Tag:[UT]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

Necro, unless you enjoy being the squishiest class in the game without the damage to justify being squishier than a thief.

#4 SpreadCheeks

SpreadCheeks

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

Ele for wvw and spvp.

#5 Ramanadjinn

Ramanadjinn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

actually elementalists are nearly impossible to kill and can pump out very very good damage at the same time.

i push back zergs all the time on mine wading into 10+ people and unloading large AOE damage and CC then getting out unharmed.

a well built and played elementalist is one of the most powerful things available for wvw right now in both large scale and small fights.

i'm on blackgate and i don't mind helping anyone out who doesn't understand or believe this.

#6 LordBlades

LordBlades

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Isn't necro a bit underwhelming in WvW? Condition damage doesn't seem that strong there (you can usually run back before you die from condition damage, and either get healed or rezzed by team mates) and wells are static. Am I missing something?

#7 Louis8k8

Louis8k8

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BS]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Both have great synergy, full of cc's, aoes, and support.

Ele > Necro in aoe slows and damage vs building. Necro still can aoe cripple/chill, and single-target, chill/immobilize though. Golem's charge vs siege equipment at point blank is actually far better than elementalist's bursts. But it's not sustainable, as your golem probably get killed after 1 charge attack.

Necro > Ele in leading a charge (plague + deathshroud + spectral wall + well of darkness grants them the longest survivabilty under focus fire than any class). Ride the lightning, updraft -> some aoes -> mist form is one of the best combos to lead charge but again, it's duration is a lot shorter than what necros can do.

Necromancers don't die from a stray backstab thief or haste + heartseeker when you have your pants down. This isn't sPvP, you can't prepare for an invisible thief with basilisk when you're in a 15v15 and half your skills are on CD's. Toughness-power-healing necros can tank the whole thing and heal for 13k with Well of Healing (6.5k burst + 6.5k in aoe over time).

Both scale quite a bit with player skills with weapon/trait/util swapping between combat.

Wells are static but they shut down any attempt to build a siege equipment, pass through a choke or res a down'd player. Area control is a huge deal at pushing people back.

#8 Caffynated

Caffynated

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Both are very strong classes in WvW when played by a competent person.

Ele has staff when running with the zerg to play an artillery role that can be overwhelming in many battles. They can skirmish and harass  very well with D/D and when specced for healing and high up time on protection, they're very difficult to bring down. Their strength is primarily in mobility and AoE so if that's the type of play style you want, ele is for you. You will see a lot of people talk about eles "tanking" 10 people in the middle of a zerg, but what is actually happening is they're constantly moving around in the battle and enemies lose track of them in the swarm. That can be very disorienting for new/bad players and lets an ele move around inside of an enemy zerg and lay down AoE damage without receiving a lot of damage in return.

I haven't put much time in on necro beyond just seeing what the skills do, but some of the best fights I've had were against good necro players. They can overwhelm even the best condition removal and spread them around to whole groups of people. Their strongest feature is the ability to tank insane amounts of burst without being pushed onto the defensive. An ele who takes focus fire is going to have to spend most of his time healing and dodging to avoid essentially instant death where a necro can just face tank it while returning the favor. If I ever get around to leveling another class for WvW, it will either be a guardian or necro.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users