08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GoT]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hi all!

I've been working on the build I want to use, but before I get the Exotics I would like some feedback on my build. I have the most doubts about my stats.

EDIT: I now have two builds, one is the original which uses Signets for Auras, the other is without Signets but this one really depends on the Ring of Fire->Magnetic Grasp combo Aura to be fixed.

Here are some links (because some sites aren't always up).

D/D Auramancer+Cantrips:

D/D Auramancer+Cantrips (without Signets):

If possible I've added a PvP Amulet+Jewel on the page aswell for the calculator, although I'm going with the gear mentioned in the description.

Regards

Edited by 08Ray, 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#2 Gheldomel

Gheldomel

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I ran something very similar to this for a while. There are a couple things I found I was lacking while doing so. 1) stun breaks 2) condition removal. They are pretty important when doing dungeons, but less so otherwise. I run Cantrip utility and all the cantrip water traits for this expressed purpose. With the 2 activated auras and ring of fire -> magnetic grasp, there is significant uptime on the buffs. 3 signets + signet heal might be overkill. I'd add Cleansing Fire, so you at least have 1 stun break and additional condition removal. I think the gear is spot on

#3 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback :) Those are some valid points!

I could switch out Internal Fire (VI) for Spell Slinger (IV), Shard of Ice (II) for Soothing Disruption (III), Signet of Water for Cleansing Fire and possibly Signet of Earth for Armor of Earth to make more use out of the Cantrip traits. That way I have 2 Stun Breaks, 3 Condition Removers, 1 Stability and still 5 Auras.
But maybe this has a bit too much Condition Removal for normal situations. so maybe instead of dumping Shard of Ice (II) I'd better dump Cleansing Wave (V) for Soothing Disruption (III). Because the Vulnerability is pretty nice, because the build is already support focussed.
This will make the build more focussed at healing aswell, do you think adding Healing Power in the stats (e.g. using Cleric's Trinkets instead of Knight's) could be of use? I'm not sure who to believe when it comes to the usefulness of Healing Power. Some call it pure crap, others call it useful...

It's a bit difficult to test this in PvP because you don't have the stat freedom you have in PvE there (stupid Amulet stats...), but I could always test it with a cheap Masterwork set just to get an idea of how the build works.

The nice thing with this second build would be that you can always switch it back to the old Signet build whenever you want to for free. E.g. when switching to a Staff in some situations you wouldn't be able to keep the Auras up with the Signet/Cantrip build.

How does this sound?

EDIT: After asking around in LA, I think I'll stick with the Emerald Trinkets. From what I've heard Healing Power is only worth it if you fully spec to it and I rather keep Soldier's armor. Also I just found the reason why I didn't notice that combo, because it's bugged atm. It doesn't always give you the Aura+Boons even when the text Fire Aura pops up.

Edited by 08Ray, 03 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#4 Gheldomel

Gheldomel

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

I still run aura d/d and it always goes off and adds the boons as long as you have a target. i have a full set of cleric's sitting in my bank.. its super meh.

I'm a huge fan of the regen and vigor. I also like Cleansing Wave(trait). You've got Water 5 and Cleansing Fire(which is also being use to break stun). It may or may not be enough, depending on where you are. If you are going to keep the vulerability and have your utility signet on cooldown, I think signet of air is better because it is aoe. Now that you've gone from 3 signets to 1 in utility, do you find Fire's embrace to be worth it? This is kinda what I struggled with when i ran aura/signet.

Now i run Puandro's build from his WvW vids. Its super strong in dungeons, but definitely doesn't have the same supportive spirit that  the build you've posted has. If I were to go back to powerful aura. i would do it with xx/20/10/30/xx with the last 10 points going wherever. 20% cooldown on water and air, 40% boon duration on runes (major water or monk.. tho I like the earth pair too),  and free up the utility for w/e you need. The 2 auras is pretty good coverage. Like I stated before, the combo works for me all the time unless the target dies before i hit magnetic grasp. If I'm still in the ring I can still get both blasts and teleport Churning Earth where it will do the most dmg. Ride the Lightning, Updraft, Cone of Cold, and Cleansing Wave on shorter c/d increases survivability and some healing to the group.

That's my take. I'd rather go for full survivability and work backwards. The auraspam is a neat trick and I enjoyed it quite a lot, but it will never guarantee a rez or an escape from being downed. Once you add the things that do that, then you've got 1 utility slot eating up 2 traits. @_@ Hard bargain to make.

#5 Raif89

Raif89

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

in the recent patch there was a stealth nerf to the ring of fire -> magnetic grasp combo. it doesnt pro zephyrs boon anymore. whether its a bug or an intended nerf is not something im aware of.

#6 MisfitAndy

MisfitAndy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I also noticed that there was a nerf to ring of fire / churning earth.  It fires off if at the completion of the spell, not at the start of it anymore.  At least, that is what I noticed after a few minutes goofing off.  It used to fire at the start so you would be able to get 9 stacks fairly easily by going ring of fire /earth/ earthquake to churning earth, arcane wave.  Now I'm not sure if you can get them all in or not.

Edited by MisfitAndy, 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#7 Raif89

Raif89

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

the pop up of area might for churning earth was always at the end of it, but to get it you had to start the channel while ring of fire was still active. it doesnt matter if the end of the chahnel was after the ring is gone, only if you started the channel while the combo field is active.

#8 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm going to try this build now, the Signet/Cantrips build. It might be that the Traits are expensive, but I believe it gives me nice party boons, self boons, survivability etc. If it turns out the survivability isn't enough because of Conditions I can always switch back to using Cleansing Water (trait). I'll update my builds later :)

It seems to be a bug with the combo, because the the Fire Shield text does popup when you use it, only it doesn't give you the boons anymore or the shield itself. But I've seen some say that it sometimes gives the boons and sometimes doesn't. If that's true at least something is bugged, either the combo or the removal of the combo.

Edited by 08Ray, 04 December 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#9 TakumiUsui

TakumiUsui

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Do your Allies get Fury, Protection and Swiftness too when you apply an aura to them?
And does "applying Aura" to allies trigger Fury, Protection and Swiftness to yourself too? Meaning you get 2x the buffs duration if you have 1 ally with you.

#10 Gheldomel

Gheldomel

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Your allies do get the boons, but the duration is not extended because you did.

Edit: You have to end the grasp in the ring. I only tested it 4 times >.> , but 3/3 buffs inside ring 0/1 when i was outside ring

Album: Redder
1 images
0 comments

Edited by Gheldomel, 05 December 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#11 Critus

Critus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GODS]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

View Post08Ray, on 04 December 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

I'm going to try this build now, the Signet/Cantrips build. It might be that the Traits are expensive, but I believe it gives me nice party boons, self boons, survivability etc. If it turns out the survivability isn't enough because of Conditions I can always switch back to using Cleansing Water (trait). I'll update my builds later :)

It seems to be a bug with the combo, because the the Fire Shield text does popup when you use it, only it doesn't give you the boons anymore or the shield itself. But I've seen some say that it sometimes gives the boons and sometimes doesn't. If that's true at least something is bugged, either the combo or the removal of the combo.

what is  Cantrip ? o,O

#12 MisfitAndy

MisfitAndy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostRaif89, on 04 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

the pop up of area might for churning earth was always at the end of it, but to get it you had to start the channel while ring of fire was still active. it doesnt matter if the end of the chahnel was after the ring is gone, only if you started the channel while the combo field is active.

It always gave the might pop up as I started my channel, until lately.

#13 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostCritus, on 05 December 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

what is  Cantrip ? o,O
Cantrips are a type of Elementalist skills. These are: Armor of Earth, Cleansing Fire, Lightning Flash and Mist Form.

Edited by 08Ray, 05 December 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#14 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

After some more thought Shard of Ice probably isn't worth it. I forgot that it doesn't work with Signet of Restoration, so I only have Signet of Air left that uses it. It's great that Signet of Air makes it work as an AoE, still you usually only focus on one enemy at a time.

Cleansing Wave (trait) isn't that appealing aswell because it only removes a condition when attunening to water. Due to the 15 sec. cooldown on Attuning and the fact that I'll need to switch to Water for Frost Aura to keep my Aura up, there probably won't be that many fights where I can use this effectively. It's too situational to be useful enough.

Other options are:
Cantrip Mastery: This lets me use a Condition Remover, Stun Break and AoE Burn 10 sec. faster and also lets me use a Stun Break, Stability and Protection 18 sec. faster.
Aquamancer's Alacrity: This lets me use an Aura 8 secs. faster and also lets me use a Heal and Condition Remover 8 sec. faster.

I think Cantrip Mastery gives the most benefits. In heavy Condition fights it could be useful to have my Cantrips available sooner and in light Condition fights I can always get my Might, Regeration and Vigor sooner. The cooldown reduction is greater and I will probably be able to keep my Aura up without Aquamancer's Alacrity. The big plus that Aquamancer's Alacrity has is the instant heal instead of Cantrip Mastery's heal over time. But since healing skills are not that powerful anyway I think Cantrip Mastery is better overall, so I'll be going with that to see if it works.

#15 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Updated the build in the calculators now and I edited the links to them in my original post. I sadly can't edit the name of this topic to "D/D Auramancer+Cantrips" since that would be a more accurate name after the changes.

Edited by 08Ray, 05 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#16 Geeri

Geeri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GOLD]
  • Server:Whiteside Ridge

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostGheldomel, on 05 December 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Edit: You have to end the grasp in the ring. I only tested it 4 times >.> , but 3/3 buffs inside ring 0/1 when i was outside ring

Thanks - I wasn't sure when it was proccing and when it wasn't.

@08Ray: thanks for the build and other information! Gives me some insight into gearing and such; I run with 20 points in Arcana rather than Fire, though, and use my three auras to buff people. This gives me a little more support and flexibility (faster attunement switching, longer boons on myself, buffs on allies upon attunement switch, a rough 100% vigor up-time). I must admit that I still die too easily, but I'm not done obtaining the toughness gear, so I blame that at this time.

#17 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

In my ideal situation I would have another 10 trait points in Arcana for Elemental Attunement and less cooldown on Attuning.

But that's also a good suggestion. I will try to test if I can keep the Aura boons up most of the time if I loose the Signets so I can put 10 points in Arcana for Elemental Attunement. That could really improve the build by freeing up a Utility slot (probably for Lightning Flash) and maybe it would then be better to get Glyph of Elemental Harmony instead of Signet of Restoration aswell for the extra healing and boon. I'm not that sure if the Passive healing that Signet of Restoration gives is worth it.

If I would do this I think it would be best to start in Water with Frost Aura, then switch to Air for Ride the Lightning-> Lightning Touch->Shocking Aura->Updraft, then switch to Fire for Burning Speed->Drake's Breath->Fire Grab->Ring of Fire and lastly switch to Earth for Magnetic Grasp->Ring of Earth->Earthquake->Churning Earth. In between you can always use the Cantrips for Condition Removal/boons/teleport or your Healing skill for healing,

Now that I'm typing this it all sounds very good! I think having 3 Aura's could be enough to benefit from the boons, only I still don't get how the RoF->MG combo works. If I cast MG while I'm in the field and the target is also in the field I get the popup saying "Fire Aura" and sometimes I see the Fire Shield animation aswell, but I never get the boons I should get from having that aura.

I don't have the full gear myself atm so I don't know if your survivability will improve drastically from it. I do have the Trinkets now, but I'm still using Masterwork Knight's gear (so I do have the Toughness, just not the Vitality). But I'm assuming that switching from Knight's to Soldier's should improve my survivability, because I would have about 3k more Health (if my calculations are correct).

Edited by 08Ray, 05 December 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#18 Geeri

Geeri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Post08Ray, on 05 December 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

But that's also a good suggestion. I will try to test if I can keep the Aura boons up most of the time if I loose the Signets so I can put 10 points in Arcana for Elemental Attunement. That could really improve the build by freeing up a Utility slot (probably for Lightning Flash) and maybe it would then be better to get Glyph of Elemental Harmony instead of Signet of Restoration aswell for the extra healing and boon. I'm not that sure if the Passive healing that Signet of Restoration gives is worth it.

Yes, I forgot to mention the freedom in utility choices. I run with Ether Renewal because it's low cooldown and removes 4 conditions over 4 seconds (or 5? well, enough). This frees up another utility slot. Personally I find Mist Form a must, and Lightning Flash has saved me, well, I can't count how often (I also use it to reposition Churning Earth and such).

I must admit that the passive heal from Signet of Restoration is rather strong (or it feels that way anyway, as I've really missed it when I switched), but the lack of condition removal is so much worse than having to use heal spells more often.

View Post08Ray, on 05 December 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Now that I'm typing this it all sounds very good! I think having 3 Aura's could be enough to benefit from the boons, only I still don't get how the RoF->MG combo works. If I cast MG while I'm in the field and the target is also in the field I get the popup saying "Fire Aura" and sometimes I see the Fire Shield animation aswell, but I never get the boons I should get from having that aura.

I think you should never go by animation; always look at what your boons/buffs are doing. I quite often don't get the chaos shield (?) mesmer finisher animation, or even the lighting/ice aura animations when I cast them; but I do get the buffs showing me that I have them. More investigation into this "bug" is in order, I think.

On a side note, I run with the following build at the moment (PvE only for me): http://www.gw2builds...-11.2.4.1.7.6.9 (let's hope this works).

Just a couple of notes:
- The third utility slot I change for any situation: arcane shield for more survivability (needed in some dungeons), glyph of storms for more AoE, sometimes a conjure weapon, sometimes a signet of fire or signet of water, etc.
- I change my water traits (i.e. the 15% cooldown reduction -> dodge burning cleanse or cantrip cooldown reduction) in some dungeons. I find that I can't live without the AoE condition cleanse, though, as support is very important for the build.

As for gear, I was running with "carrion"-like armor (condition damage/power/vitality), but am changing over to Soldier's as survivability can still be an issue if I'm not running with a defensive Guardian.

#19 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I can see how Ether Renewal is the way to go in your build, definitely needed for more Condition Removal. In the setup that I have in mind now I think the extra Condition Removal would be overkill and I'm not a fan of the pulsed healing. Although the low cooldown is great.

But if you use Glyph of Elemental Harmony in the Water Attunement you have a nice additional healing from the Regeneration as well as other situational boons. The problem with the Passive healing that Signet of Restoration gives is that when it goes on cooldown because you used it, you get a rather weak heal and you will not get the passive or active healing from it for 25 sec. leaving you pretty vulnerable if you were getting used to the constant heals from the passive. But I have to admit I had it on cooldown a lot in me previous setup, because I also had to use it for the aura sometimes.

About the Ring of Fire -> Magnetic Graps combo, it's not that the animation of the Fire Shield doesn't always show up, because that seems to happen quite often (also with the Fire Shields from Signets). But in other cases eventhough you do not see the animation, you (and others) do get the boons, but with this combo you somehow never get the boons, no matter if you see the animation or not.

Arcane Shield is also a nice addition. That was also a consideration of mine as a replacement of Signet of Fire. But because my build is now focussing a lot on Cantrips, it seems another Cantrip would be the way to go in my build, especially considering the two option I have left there. I'd prefer Lightning Flash over Mist Form because it is less situational, because Mist Form can probably only be used for defense (to get out of a fight) while Lightning Flash can either instantly get you out of a tight situation, or instantly get you within melee range (and it can be used for traveling) and has a very short cooldown.

Once I can get that MG combo to work I will definitely try my build without any signets, but atm I'll keep them (Restoration&Fire) in.

For what reason did you add Renewing Stamina to your build btw? Since you don't seem to be speccing for Crit Chance (no Precision gear and not focussing on Air Traits). Does it trigger often enough to be of use? Or was that just because you wanted Lingering Elements? Because to me it seems that Final Shielding could be more useful, as a nice life-saver.

Edited by 08Ray, 05 December 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#20 Geeri

Geeri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

When I was running with Signet of Restoration I was actually hardly ever using the heal. Instead, the passives + evasive arcana water dodge, + water 5 + random regeneration boons were enough to give me up. Without the evasive arcana heal, though, I needed to push that button more often; Ether Renewal is really great but I must admit that it fits my playstyle and timing the channel to opportune moments is important (i.e. when running to someone to give a res, while running out of red circles, etc.).

On the topic of Mist Form: did you know you can start a res and then go mist form and stay invulnerable during most of the res? This is a neat feature I would not want to miss. Then again: I use both and am not really missing anything else. It is also a stun-breaker and gives you great survivability in oh-shit moments - personally I get more mileage out of it than, say, Earth Shield.

Finally, the Renewing Stamina trait is great, even at lower crit rates. I often add Signet of Fire to my build if I don't need anything else to ensure it procs more often, but I generally build up to a minute of vigor if I can keep whacking stuff, even with my meagre 20% crit (at the moment). It's a must for my frantic dodge rolling and also is very useful in some dungeons with lots of burning condition, in combination with the 20-point Water Dodge 'n roll trait. And yes, in situations where I need even more survivability, I pick Elemental Shielding, but I generally don't need it with my current setup (Mist Form + Lightning Flash).

#21 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Didn't know that about reviving while in Mist Form. I did notice that I used to be able to revive other's while using Vapor Form (downed skill) but after a patch I don't think it's possible anymore. Also other interactions you can do with F don't work anymore, although the message to press F for this and that does show. But this isn't the case with Mist Form?

Renewing Stamina makes more sense now, combined with Stop, Drop and Roll it can be really useful in areas where enemies using Burning all the time.

It sounds like a balanced build! Especially when you make small changes to fit your current area.

One thing I do worry about with my build is that if you loose all the Signets and you go to WvW, you'll probably switch to Staff when attacking towers and such for the longer range attacks. Then you will only have access to one aura, making Powerful Aura a very expensive Trait. And the whole reason I started with an Aura build was to avoid constantly having to reset my traits when I switch from PvE to WvW or any other situation besides PvP. But for normal combat in a group in WvW wielding dual daggers isn't bad so maybe you don't need to switch to Staff in WvW. Also you can always run around spreading boons to the zerg or something like that :P

#22 Geeri

Geeri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Any interaction is impossible while in mist form, but if you start reviving and then trigger mist form it will not cancel the revive.

Yes, I feel it is! To be honest, I've based it, in part, on yours.

With regards to staff switch; I'm pretty sure the trait setup is not ideal, but it's not that bad either (in my opinion):
- Change air trait to do more damage to targets < 25% health
- Change earth trait to Earth Shield on 50% health
- Change water T2 to either cd reduction on water skills, cooldown reduction on cantrips or Stop Drop and Roll
- Change Arcana T2 to Blasting Staff.

This is some hassle every time you switch weapons, but you know, it works. Better than without the switch anyway!

#23 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ah that makes sense. That is a useful effect, although I doubt it was intended to work that way ;) And if it wasn't then it might be changed later on. In your build it works perfectly, because you still have Lightning Flash, in my build (not the one I linked now, but the theoretical one without Signets) I have to choose one of them and then I still favor Lightning Flash because of the cooldown.

Your build is definitely easier to adjust to Staff because you use 20 points in Arcana so you can get Blasting Staff. Although during these capture moments you rarely fight enemies anyway, it's mostly just attacking a door or wall with your staff skills. So maybe you don't really need to retrait just for that. Just switch back once the wall is down to D/D and you're good to go. I'll adjust my OP here again, this time adding the second build without Signets, once they fix MG.

#24 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

Just thought of another thing, in the build without Signets you won't be able to use any aura for as far as I know if you are underwater. You still have the Cantrips though and underwater fighting sucks anyway :P Love the idea, but not being able to choose your own underwater weapon is terrible.

Also Lightning Flash won't be available underwater, so underwater you should probably use Mist Form instead. The elite is a no-brainer underwater, since we only have one. But on the ground you should just pick whatever you like/seems best in the situation you are in. Most of the time I'd say Glyph of Elementals is the best one, but there are cases where Tornado or even Conjure Fiery Greatsword are of more use.

Edited by 08Ray, 06 December 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#25 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostGheldomel, on 05 December 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Your allies do get the boons, but the duration is not extended because you did.

Sorry, but I cannot replicate this, whether inside or outside the fire ring, fire aura will not proc correctly, I have the effect around my character, and the words on screen pop up, but no boons, or fire aura symbol next to my boons either.

#26 Geeri

Geeri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

View Post08Ray, on 05 December 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Ah that makes sense. That is a useful effect, although I doubt it was intended to work that way ;) And if it wasn't then it might be changed later on.

I agree that it might not be "working as intended", but I've seen it mentioned on multiple forums, so I doubt the developers are not aware of this "feature". Thus - if they think it's overpowered, then they'll change it (or at least communicate that we shouldn't do it any more). Until then, I'm enjoying my invulnerability while assisting my teammates.

View Post08Ray, on 05 December 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Your build is definitely easier to adjust to Staff because you use 20 points in Arcana so you can get Blasting Staff. Although during these capture moments you rarely fight enemies anyway, it's mostly just attacking a door or wall with your staff skills. So maybe you don't really need to retrait just for that. Just switch back once the wall is down to D/D and you're good to go. I'll adjust my OP here again, this time adding the second build without Signets, once they fix MG.

I figured as much as well. I'm not a fervent WvW player (actually, I just don't have the time to invest into learning/doing WvW or PvP in general; I'm quite content at this time to spend my time in PvE in dungeons and, to a lesser extent, on world completion), so I didn't want to give my thoughts as I might be completely wrong.

View Post08Ray, on 06 December 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

Just thought of another thing, in the build without Signets you won't be able to use any aura for as far as I know if you are underwater. You still have the Cantrips though and underwater fighting sucks anyway :P Love the idea, but not being able to choose your own underwater weapon is terrible.

Also Lightning Flash won't be available underwater, so underwater you should probably use Mist Form instead. The elite is a no-brainer underwater, since we only have one. But on the ground you should just pick whatever you like/seems best in the situation you are in. Most of the time I'd say Glyph of Elementals is the best one, but there are cases where Tornado or even Conjure Fiery Greatsword are of more use.

My build stinks underwater, but then again, it feels like any non-staff builds stink under water. Most people hardly spend time there anyway, so it's not that big of an issue.

Personally, I use Arcane Wave (for more DPS output), Mist Form (for OSHIT) and Signet of Water (for condition removal every 10 seconds; most under water mobs have some sort of nasty condition in my experience, plus Ether Renewal doesn't work). Because of this last point I use the Signet of Restoration, as most underwater spells can cast quite fast.

On the point of Elite skills (above water), I generally use Greatsword for fun (i.e. AC speedruns) and Elemental for, well, serious business. I find that the Glyph does it all: it adds as much DPS as the Greatsword when cast in Fire attunement, while not restricting you to using those 5 spells (i.e. you can still use healing, blasts, RTL, etc.). Moreover, the applicability of the other uses of the Glyph has such a wide range (extra healing, extra tanking, and whatever the Lightning one does, interrupts?) that it is almost a must-have in any situation. It's just not as much fun as the Greatsword :-)

Is the tornado any good? I find that I generally either die or want to move faster when I'm in tornado-form.

View Postchullster, on 06 December 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Sorry, but I cannot replicate this, whether inside or outside the fire ring, fire aura will not proc correctly, I have the effect around my character, and the words on screen pop up, but no boons, or fire aura symbol next to my boons either.

I suppose some testing is in order. I noticed earlier that it happens quite often that I do get the animation, but don't get the shield buff. I usually can't tell whether or not I received the Zephyr's boons as I am usually in a dungeon with people that are also refreshing my boons. I'll have to do some testing under controlled conditions.

Edited by Geeri, 06 December 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#27 08Ray

08Ray

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

It's not working atm, I have tried all possible situation against the Golem in HotM and I never get the shield or boons, only sometimes the animation itself and always the combo popup. Been bumping up 3 threads yesterday that talked about this bug on the official forum, but so far the only response was someone complaining that I was necroing old threads...

About Tornado, I believe it's mostly used in WvW. Not sure because I also don't WvW much, still I would like to in the future!

#28 Mordana666

Mordana666

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

This is slightly off-topic and I hate to derail this thread but can anyone confirm two things for me:

1) Evasive Arcana Earth blast on a Fire field gives 3 stacks of might to the whole party?

2) http://wiki.guildwar...Cleansing_Water - how exactly does this work with regeneration boons?

#29 MisfitAndy

MisfitAndy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostMordana666, on 06 December 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

This is slightly off-topic and I hate to derail this thread but can anyone confirm two things for me:

1) Evasive Arcana Earth blast on a Fire field gives 3 stacks of might to the whole party?

2) http://wiki.guildwar...Cleansing_Water - how exactly does this work with regeneration boons?

1)  They need to be in range.  I am unsure what the range is, but I'd assume it is fairly close.

2)  Precisely as it is written, any time you give regeneration to yourself or an ally you remove a condition.  Really good trait for those times when you are expecting lots of conditions, in combination with the arcane trait to grant regen on water attunement you end up removing two conditions from yourself and any allies in range any time you attune to water!  (if you take the trait to remove a condition when you attune to water that is!)

Edited by MisfitAndy, 07 December 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#30 Mordana666

Mordana666

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

But soothing mist in water trait constantly provides regeneration no? So does that mean with Cleansing Water I'm constantly cleansing conditions each second?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users