• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Felicela

Felicela

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Which is better for a dual wield engineer?  I am currently running Carrion armor with Power/Vit/Con Damage and then full Coral Access for Power/Pres/Con Damage, and I combine this all with Runes of the Undead for Cond Damage/Toughness.

I currently dont seem to have any issues critting to keep up the burn from Explosive Trait.

So is the change to Prec/Tough/Con Damage worth it for increased survivabilty and a small loss of upfront damage?

#2 coglin

coglin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I feel it is. I love the Prec/Tough/Con Damage, I wear it myself.

#3 justOneWord

justOneWord

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

In theory a mix of both could be the best. Effective health is highest at a specific ratio of health versus armor. Also the procs have an internal cooldown, so if you're throwing grenades with Grenadier trait 33% crit chance should be enough to get a proc with every throw.

#4 Felicela

Felicela

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

Currently I spend almost all my time in Dual Pistols or Elixir Gun, the only time I switch to grenades is for WvW

#5 Budzasty

Budzasty

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Grab some toughness especially for WvW. It's really worth it. Just mix pow/pre/condi with pre/tough/condi.

#6 coglin

coglin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1402 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostjustOneWord, on 03 December 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

In theory a mix of both could be the best. Effective health is highest at a specific ratio of health versus armor. Also the procs have an internal cooldown, so if you're throwing grenades with Grenadier trait 33% crit chance should be enough to get a proc with every throw.
Whose theory? With the extremely low power coefficient on pistols, I fail to see how power is very useful for P/P builds at all.  Possible slightly useful if at all with P/S.

Now for the rifle it may be solid though.

#7 justOneWord

justOneWord

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

You don't play P/P without grenades/flamethrower or bombs anyway. If you proc every trait you can in the minimum amount of time any more crit chance is of no use.

The effective health has a sweet spot which is somewhere around Health / Armor = 10 as far as I know.

So you could optimize two variables. Maybe not worth the effort.

Edited by justOneWord, 05 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#8 coglin

coglin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1402 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostjustOneWord, on 05 December 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

You don't play P/P without grenades/flamethrower or bombs anyway. If you proc every trait you can in the minimum amount of time any more crit chance is of no use.

The effective health has a sweet spot which is somewhere around Health / Armor = 10 as far as I know.

So you could optimize two variables. Maybe not worth the effort.
Sure we do, and very successfully I might add. Your making some extremely broad and pigeon holing assumptions there.

As I see it, with the limited damage scaling coefficient of power in 2/3 of the engineers weapons combinations, combined with the fact that precision aids in condition damage with all of the available "on crit" benefits, that precision as a general rule is more beneficial then power. That depends a lot on your play style and build format though.

To assume that everyone uses kit builds, and the kits you listed, to be more specific, is, well, uneducated at best, to put it politely. Elixir builds are very common. I know many who have learned to make turrets builds work great lately, particularly in dungeons. Gadget builds have been very common in pvp since beta, and are used in dungeons alot to control the flow of battle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users