• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 soulblighter

soulblighter

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

I started a mesmer earlier today to see how id like em and i do like them quite a bit i like useing the greatsword and then a sword/sword combo not to sure about the traits tho was thinking maybe something like this

http://gw2skills.net...kyKlTKpUrJGlMhA

mesmers play differently than im used to so not to sure on how things work yet with them  i made it lvl 8 so havnt yet started playing wit traits but was wondering if this is a viable build.

#2 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[SoF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you're going with clone on dodge and 30 in illusions including Illusionary Persona you're basically making a shatter build, where the aim is to shatter as much as possible. I assume that's also why you've taken Precise Wrack.

In this light I'd make 2 changes: replace Empowered Illusions with Mental Torment, a must have for shattering and a good synergy with Precise Wrack. Also replace Compounding Power with Illusionary Elasticity - this works with GS nr 2 and trident nr1 as well as staff nr 1 (you'll need to put Precise Wrack in the first slot).

Also there's a bug(?) currently where, normally your phantasms take a few seconds to attack after summoning, however if you take anything that buffs phantasms (like Phantasmal Fury or Vengeful Images) they fire straight away which is far better especially for a shatter built - summon Berserker, it whirls instantly then shatter it.

This is my build, which basically is what you linked but with the changes I mentioned :)
http://gw2skills.net...kyKlTKpUrJGlMhA

Also I prefer staff to sword but thats just a personal preference - staff is more defensive and I find myself dead as melee quite often if I can't keep distortion up (plus my gear is full berserker).

#3 Jobuu

Jobuu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

^ this. and staff like he said. it's good for the warlock and the retreat. hell, it's good for everything. not one wasted skill on the staff. in dungeon boss fights you can swap the illusionary persona for phantasmal haste since i dont like to be that close to the bosses.

#4 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Coming back to the phantasm attack delay, after yesterday's patch they changed it so that regardless of whether you take Phantasmal Fury/Vengeful Images there's still a delay before your phantasms attack. I have to say that personally I didn't experience a huge delay (maybe 1 second, less than it was before) but others report a 2-3 sec delay and seeing their phantasms killed before they do any damage. This means that taking Phantasmal Fury makes no difference to attack time anymore and you can safely replace it with the +50 prec to sword trait (unless you're using GS/staff in which case you'll want Phantasmal Fury anyway). Anet has responded that they're looking into the attack delay so it's something we might see fixed.

At least Phantasmal Disenchanter has been fixed properly so thats back on my bars :)

Oh and top tip: if you Phase Retreat out of Chaos Storm you get Chaos Armor (though not the full version it's still a free buff courtesy of a combo effect).

#5 timanth

timanth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

To be honest, the new phantasm delay would cause me to suggest that you stay FAR FAR away from the Mesmer until they fix this issue. Having 1 skill on your 5-slot weapon bar rendered 75% useless in high-level situations is pretty frustrating, not to mention all the utility skills that are also borked by this.

My suggestion? Play something else until they fix this fiasco that the class has become.

#6 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

View Posttimanth, on 04 December 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

To be honest, the new phantasm delay would cause me to suggest that you stay FAR FAR away from the Mesmer until they fix this issue. Having 1 skill on your 5-slot weapon bar rendered 75% useless in high-level situations is pretty frustrating, not to mention all the utility skills that are also borked by this.

My suggestion? Play something else until they fix this fiasco that the class has become.

I'll try again tonight to double check but I specifically tested last night for the delay (with and without fury) and I really didn't find the delay that long (hardly detectable even) so possibly people are overreacting as tends to happen a lot on these forums?
I can see how any delay is bad in PvP and difficult dungeons where your phantasm might get killed before dealing damage, however for OP at level 8 it shouldn't make a difference really :)

#7 Kumakichi

Kumakichi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

There is a delay but its not that bad.  Been playing mesmer for awhile now and its been one nerf after the next.  Some stealth nerfs as well that dont make much sense.  I still enjoy the class so I adapt.

#8 Jobuu

Jobuu

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

illusionists celerity first with clone and mirror images. go mostly shatter at first since you need to push out damage fast until you get more skills. i found sword or scepter pistol good because the duelist will still fire while you kite while the swordsman may need to chase what you're fighting

#9 Spark94

Spark94

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

http://www.guildhead...zmaVobc<br /> This is my shatter build if you want to go that route. Level 56 so far and it's been working wonders (with the traits that I've got so far)

#10 Tarug

Tarug

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NP]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostSpark94, on 04 December 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

http://www.guildhead....zmaVobc<br />This is my shatter build if you want to go that route. Level 56 so far and it's been working wonders (with the traits that I've got so far)

Are you sure you linked the right build? I can't help but imagine you linked the wrong one - a shatter build without mirror image or illusionary persona; with phantasmal defender; with compounding power instead of precise wrack; and a 10/0/20/30/10 breakdown seems very "different" to say the least.

#11 Spark94

Spark94

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostTarug, on 04 December 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Are you sure you linked the right build? I can't help but imagine you linked the wrong one - a shatter build without mirror image or illusionary persona; with phantasmal defender; with compounding power instead of precise wrack; and a 10/0/20/30/10 breakdown seems very "different" to say the least.
Yeah I linked the right build. It's still being tested and such (not level 80 yet so things will more than likely change) but for right now it fits my playstyle and I quite enjoy how it's turning out so far. Probably not the most typical shatter build but it works.
Also it IS a shatter build, but I tend to focus more on keeping the illusions for as long as possible which allows me to benefit from my bonus damage and damage reduc. I just don't pop them out and immediately shatter them. Unless they start getting one shot, I'll stick with what I've got.

Edited by Spark94, 04 December 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#12 timanth

timanth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostKumakichi, on 04 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

There is a delay but its not that bad.  Been playing mesmer for awhile now and its been one nerf after the next.  Some stealth nerfs as well that dont make much sense.  I still enjoy the class so I adapt.

The delay is enough for melee phantasms like the iBerzerker and iWarden to die immediately before they can do anything. The iWarden is particularly a problem because it used to have wonderful utility as an opener against ranged-only monsters. Now it'll just die immediately upon summoning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users