#1 Phat Max

Phat Max

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VoD]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hey guys! As I'm sure you're used to, I have a question... Been awhile since I've shopped around PC stuff, so I could use some advice.

I have a cousin who wants to build a computer spending around $650, and a GF who wants to spend about $1000 on a computer... Most of the stuff is easy, but I'm generally uninformed when it comes to choosing a MB/GPU... I want the best bang for the buck for them. ;)

For my cousin's setup, I want it to be able to run 1920x1080 with the best resolution possible... But I only want to budget about ~$450 between MB/CPU/GPU.
--- I would like to get him the 3570K, but if it'll be impossible to budget the MB and GPU with the remaining $230, then it is what it is.

For the GF, I am for sure getting the 3570K, but besides that... what's necessary in a MB? What would be a good GPU pair? I'm hoping to spend around $600 between the 3, since this is a complete build.

Any help would be awesome!

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3322 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

For your cousin:
Almost any Ivy Bridge CPU - even an i3-3220 - will be good. I'd suggest an i5-3350 or i5-3450. (the 3350 is basically a 3450 with no integrated graphics.)

For your GF:
The i5-3570K is a good choice, but an i5-3350 or i5-3450/3470 would be good as well.

For both:
I would assume that neither of them are going to overclock, so any B75, H77, or Z77 based motherboard that has the features you want would be fine. (The Z77 would be best for overclocking. I'd choose an H77 over the B75.) The main things to look for in the mobo are that it fits the case - an ATX motherboard won't fit in an mATX case - and that it has any particular connectors - such as PCI slot or IDE connector - that you need.
If these are all-new builds (not upgrades) then slots and connectors basically become a non-issue. If you don't know what features you want, then there's probably none you need to worry about. (For example, eSATA)
I suggest ASUS, ASrock, Gigabyte, or MSI as brands.

For video, get the best video card you can afford with the budget left over from the CPU/MB. There is no need to be concerned about any particular combo of MB and GPU.

For PSU btw, get a good quality unit around 500-600watts, such as a Corsair Builder series. But you could save a bit for your cousin by getting something like:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147099
(note that that case is mATX, so mATX motherboard for it.)
Generally speaking the PSUs that come with a case tend to be lower quality, but the Rosewill units do have a good rep.

So to sum up:
Cousin - Rosewill case with i5-3350/3450, B75/H77 motherboard, HD7750/7770 or GTX-650/650 Ti

G.F. - Whatever case she likes the look of with an i5-something, H77/Z77 mobo, GTX-660 Ti or HD7870

Mix & match as desired. :)

P.S. Let me emphasize that there is no concern over matching a video card to a particular motherboard EXCEPT if you plan to run more than one video card in SLI or Crossfire - and then, the only consideration is that the motherboard supports SLI or Crossfire.

P.P.S - you could also consider a new AMD FX-8350 and motherboard.

Edited by Quaker, 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#3 Phat Max

Phat Max

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VoD]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Oh man.... That is fantastic! Thanks for a quick response, and pretty thorough.

I have the PSU figured out... I actually have a 750W that is pretty inexpensive, and I've had no issues with it, including OC and power outages.

But regardless, this is perfect, thank you!

#4 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostPhat Max, on 03 December 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Oh man.... That is fantastic! Thanks for a quick response, and pretty thorough.

I have the PSU figured out... I actually have a 750W that is pretty inexpensive, and I've had no issues with it, including OC and power outages.

But regardless, this is perfect, thank you!
Good 450 build included 8GB of memory also so went just a tad over  not the K series but same clock speeds without the ability to overclock. The MB is cheap but works well I have used them, the video card is about the best bang for the buck you can get,
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qNhl

For the other build K processor added the CPU Cooler same ram, and again went over just a bit. (if your not going to OC then use the same processor and MB from above and drop the CPU cooler. (the CPU cooler is large make sure the case will work with it) this is my current case of choice. http://us.ncix.com/p...ure=ZALMAN TECH
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qNTU

Edited by Zerk2012, 04 December 2012 - 12:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users