MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2278 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I did a quick sweep for a bug list, couldn't find it.

I'm curious about the profession as my next pass through GW2.

Without pointing me to a seriously long list, give me the broad strokes on what is fundamentally bugged and how it impacts your ability to play effectively / level.

I say this because something that is outright bugged and not working 100% of the time can be worked around.  But something like WoW Mage blink, which can be annoying in that 15% it doesn't work right and is considered a fundamental part of the class mechanic... That's just frustrating.

Thanks.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#2 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

the only thing that distinctly comes to mind to me is the horrible pet and minion AI.  It severely limits the ability for a ranger to run a beast mastery build or a necro to go full-minion master respectively, which limits the possible builds for them in what are unique parts to each profession.  That said, there are still builds that make both of the professions work, so all it is doing is limiting the viable builds for them, not entirely breaking them.

Other than that, I haven't truly noticed anything so spectacular that limits my abilities to play a profession or level said profession, but I also haven't fully explored every profession.

#3 Quarktastic

Quarktastic

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

https://forum-en.gui...Ranger-Bug-List

Read it and weep.

View PostMazingerZ, on 03 December 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

I say this because something that is outright bugged and not working 100% of the time can be worked around.  But something like WoW Mage blink, which can be annoying in that 15% it doesn't work right and is considered a fundamental part of the class mechanic... That's just frustrating.

In this case, I don't think you'll like the ranger that much. Pets are the ranger's unique class mechanic. They operate on dumb-as-bricks monster AI, they're fond of standing in the fire, and they can't attack and move at the same time, so dodging them becomes as simple as moving a few steps in either direction.

Edited by Quarktastic, 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#4 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

If it wasn't already obvious by the posts above me, a lot of people don't like the pet AI.

I'm pretty happy with my birds, but I keep them on passive so I can micromanage them. Or you can use any of the ranged pets (devourers and spiders) if you don't want to pay much attention to your pets. Devourers are great at avoiding AoE since they use their burrow escape ability whenever they take a lot of damage, and they're fairly tanky.

But I'll be honest: if you're looking for solid dps but can't stand the pets, then Ranger isn't for you.

#5 Egioh

Egioh

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

my bug experience from just TODAY (and only played a couple hours):
-Downed skill 3 not working, pet gets to me and just stares
-Protect me! + stone sig not working ( and it always did )
-Search and rescue! working about half the time
-Pet blocking my own attacks
-OBSTRUCTED
-Tried sword again in spvp. remembered why stopped using it in 5 minutes. Having you basic attack control your movement is bad 6 frustrating

Really, bad pet AI is the last of my concerns when playing ranger

#6 Quarktastic

Quarktastic

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

View PostScorpioSpork, on 04 December 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

If it wasn't already obvious by the posts above me, a lot of people don't like the pet AI.

I'm pretty happy with my birds, but I keep them on passive so I can micromanage them. Or you can use any of the ranged pets (devourers and spiders) if you don't want to pay much attention to your pets. Devourers are great at avoiding AoE since they use their burrow escape ability whenever they take a lot of damage, and they're fairly tanky.

But I'll be honest: if you're looking for solid dps but can't stand the pets, then Ranger isn't for you.

Devourers use their burrow skill whenever the enemy so much as looks at them funny. In most cases, I'll swap to my devourer in the middle of a fight, and the first thing he'll do is burrow away. Devourers are still terrible at avoiding AoE. Now if they saved the burrow skill specifically for when they were targeted by an AoE, that would be great...

#7 Relair

Relair

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Pet AI/lack of ability to attack while moving is huge, as is the long long delay most of the time on pet f2 skills. Other than that there really isn't a whole lot to complain about other than worthless skills and skills with improper descriptions (looking at YOU Guard).

#8 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostQuarktastic, on 04 December 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Devourers use their burrow skill whenever the enemy so much as looks at them funny. In most cases, I'll swap to my devourer in the middle of a fight, and the first thing he'll do is burrow away. Devourers are still terrible at avoiding AoE. Now if they saved the burrow skill specifically for when they were targeted by an AoE, that would be great...
Well, I've had better luck with devourers avoiding AoE than other pets. I guess I don't keep my out long enough for him to get hit by multiple AoE attacks.

#9 Daisy Rogers

Daisy Rogers

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Guild Tag:[THF]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

The only time you will seriously be borked with Pet AI is if you do extensive PvP because it has issues hitting moving targets (currently). PvE pets are your best friend and allow you to get away with a lot of stupid things that get other classes killed right out. Pet AI is far superior to minion AI. Pets only attack targets you attack or enemies that attack you or it first. And it is extremely obedient for calling off and sending out. Only other issue with pet is F2 abilities sometimes suffer from delay.

AOE with pets isn't a huge issue if you are traited 15 into WIlderness Survival. You get protection on Dodge rolls. Use it to help your pet mitigate a chunk of the AOE. If you really want to see your pet survive invest some into Beast Master. The Pet is our class mechanic, the more you realize this and utilize this to its fullest potential the better your ranger will be. The pet is not a fire and forget weapon like minions. The pet is an extension of the ranger and a partner. You treat it right, it will treat you right.

Even pets hitting moving targets in PvE can be mitigated to a degree. Use CC abilities, many weapons come with them, other utilities pack them as well. Also, lead your opponent into your pet so your pet isn't chasing all the time. The ranger is all about mobility and movement. You don't have to run in straight lines. (obviously this works better with a melee build).

#10 snow29

snow29

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

I really don't like the OBSTRUCTED that comes from nowhere. I am sure that nothing is blocking my arrow except for my pet.

#11 GW2Ranger

GW2Ranger

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

My experience for the ranger is the slow motion bug in combat mode:

Link - https://forum-en.gui...irst#post846408

I wonder if it will ever be fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users