• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mofogie

mofogie

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

hi, i came here seking answers to what i think is an exploit.

There is a female charr thief on Tarnished Coast that is abusing some sort of re-stealth mehthod.  Normally after attacking, there's 3 seconds of being 'revealed,' before you can restealth again. However she is bypassing it somehow.  She is able to immediately recloak, again and again, and again. I've seen her recloak 2-3 times in one second.  

as you can imagine, it is immensely overpowered.  It's nearly impossible ot kill her, and she can repeatedly attempt backstabs and finishers within short spans.

I've tried replicating what she's doing, and no stealth skill can bypass reveal.  

I highly doubt it is lag, as she seems in total control of what she's doing, and is the only thief i've seen do such.  

Please help, and if it is hacking of some sort, how can i report her?

#2 ensoriki

ensoriki

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1983 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Are you sure she's not just timing Cloak and Dagger?
Reveal activates when you attack a foe while stealthed.
If you use CnD as soon as stealth ends, then you didn't attack in stealth and get re-stealthed.
Which can be used technically to dwindle an opponents health, while giving yourself minimal exposure before finishing them off once they are at a more manageable health.

Eg.
Stealth lasts 4s, at 3.5s use CnD, stealth will end and you land CnD outside of stealth putting you back inside.
If your Stealth only lasts 3s you can technically do this faster without triggering reveal.

Edited by ensoriki, 04 December 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#3 Scizzor

Scizzor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

A player can re-stealth if they don't attack while stealthed.
For example:
CnD > wait 3.75secs > CnD > wait 3.75secs > repeat

A thief can pretty much "appear" to be keeping stealth up indefinitely although they won't be able to do much damage.

#4 mofogie

mofogie

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

thats true if it were every 3-4 seconds, but she would do it in less than that.  I'm still puzzled

Edited by mofogie, 05 December 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#5 lioka qiao

lioka qiao

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[BP]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Theres a clipping issue with stealth.  The game doesn't render the player's model until after a second of being out of stealth.  Most thieves would never know about this unless they fought against one in pvp.  The NPC ai doesn't need to see you physically so it avoids the clipping issue altogether.  In PVP a player who knows about this can exploit it to gain a second of invisible while attacking.  Additionally the Revealed debuff lasts almost exactly the length of 1 attack chain with a dagger so a thief can rechain C&D right after that and only be visible for 1 or 2 seconds total.

The clipping problem is the biggest balance issue with stealth and it is part of the core engine.  Anet is supposedly working on it.  I will tell you this, if you fight a thief, dodge often.  They can't restealth alot if they can't reach you.  I have yet to down somebody by being able to spam attack chain and CnD and most of my kills end up coming from my short bow.

#6 mofogie

mofogie

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

i am aware of the 'clipping ' issue.  what you mean is 'ghosting.'  Clipping refers to erroneous collision detection, ghosting means an object isn't rendered.  Indeed, ghosting will always be an issue until our internet bandwidths improve, (typically server lag).  Thus in smaller places, like SPVP, it's not as much an issue.  It's a heavy burden on latency and processing, having to 'check' on statuses multiple times per second, (like auras, traps, etc).

you guys might be right, maybe it was just really busy times, and the latency was at its worst.   I'll keep an eye out if it happens during downtimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users