8 replies to this topic

#1 PavelKCZ

PavelKCZ

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

when I am looking at the graphs at www.guildwarstrade.com for some comodities, I am almost sure that there must be some kind of trading bots online.
Especially when I look at some comodities like Passion flowers, Glob of Ectoplasm etc.

Is it legal to use such kind of programs in this game ?

#2 The_Tree_Branch

The_Tree_Branch

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostPavelKCZ, on 04 December 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Hello,

when I am looking at the graphs at www.guildwarstrade.com for some comodities, I am almost sure that there must be some kind of trading bots online.
Especially when I look at some comodities like Passion flowers, Glob of Ectoplasm etc.

Is it legal to use such kind of programs in this game ?

Is that a serious question? Of course not...

#3 francron

francron

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

in view of that kind of program may make the user in a much better position than others which's not using, that programme will be considered as bannable..

#4 PavelKCZ

PavelKCZ

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

View Postfrancron, on 05 December 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

in view of that kind of program may make the user in a much better position than others which's not using, that programme will be considered as bannable..

Of course, my question was meant as a joke. But definitely someone from the GW2 team should look at it. From the above mentioned market graphs for Glob of Ectoplasm, Passion flower and similar comodities can be clearly seen that somebody is trying to use a tradebot.
For example, for the Glob of Ectoplasm, look at the erratic behavior which started around Dec. 4. 19:40. And the erratic behavior of sale prices is not the error of the web server which is doing those marketing graphs. I verified personally in the game that the prices are real. Someone is definitely trying to run some kind of tradebot and he did a piss poor job in the programming of this bot.
Just look at the graphs and you can see huge differences between sale prices across the time interval and the rest (buy orders, supply and demand) of market data.
Such behavior is kind of characteristic for a badly programmed HFT algorithms which was used on real markets 10 or more years ago, when the HFT was almost new kind of trading. :-)

#5 okwtf8288

okwtf8288

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

price of ecto fluctuates quite a bit, but it isn't really a profitable item after sales tax. buying at 29s (usually the lowest u can get for) you would have to sell at around 34s 11 coppers to break even. There are many better options to trade, and while i do believe there are probably trading bots, they probably would not use ecto as an item

#6 statler

statler

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

:rolleyes:

Here is a breakdown: that is the point at which the graph switches from a sampling interval of 1hr20min to 5-6min.

http://www.guildwars....com/item/19721

#7 PavelKCZ

PavelKCZ

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

View Poststatler, on 06 December 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

:rolleyes:

Here is a breakdown: that is the point at which the graph switches from a sampling interval of 1hr20min to 5-6min.

http://www.guildwars....com/item/19721

Oh no, this is not what I am talking about. I know that my english is far from perfect, but I tried to explain a very different thing.
Forget the long sampling interval, which is moving average (I suppose) and just concentrate on the part where the sampling time is approx. 5 minutes.
When you will do your own calculations and graph of supply / demand ratios, you will clearly see that there is a really strange and repeating coincidence between inflexion points on the graph of the supply / demand ratio function and sale price (huge differences) and almost no coicidence between the same inflexion points and buy price (small differences).
This is what I meant, when I wrote that there is probably a badly written tradebot. Normally trading human (or bug free HFT algorithm) tend to sale/buy almost equally and there is a phase shift between sale and buy graphs.

#8 justOneWord

justOneWord

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

How could HFT work in this game anyway? The prices don't fluctuate enough to even break even with the high fees one has to pay.

#9 PavelKCZ

PavelKCZ

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

View PostjustOneWord, on 06 December 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

How could HFT work in this game anyway? The prices don't fluctuate enough to even break even with the high fees one has to pay.

Yes, it is the question I am asking myself too. But who knows if there is not some kind of bug which is not yet publicly known.
I am just saying that this behavior which we can see on market patterns looks ... Let's say "strange".

I admit, that it is only my personal opinion and I am only a casual player. My opinions are based purely on more than 10+ years of practice in market trading and programming of various trading systems in RL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users