• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kuleyb

Kuleyb

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I live in the middle east and want to purchase guild wars 2 for a friend living in north america.

If i purchase the game for him and register the serial key, then send him the login information can he login from north america using a guild wars from another region?

Guild Wars should really incorporate a gift system...

#2 liinniejj

liinniejj

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KLF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

The client is the same all over the place however im not sure anet is a big fan of peple having eachother their login info etc. What i'd suggest is you buy the digital version in his name with your creditcard or however you wanna pay for it and then send him the serial code/key wich if you use his email adress with purchase will go straight into his inbox. its how my boyfriend bought it for me i suddenly had a gameliscence in my mail hehe.

#3 sorting hat

sorting hat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

There's also the issue with Europe servers and American servers, which has different licenses. It's the same game and everything, but if you buy an American version one you cannot play on an Europe server. That being said, any players buying outside these two areas are auto-detected by the website through your IP to determine which one to sell you. So, the question now is, does Middle Eastern countries play on US servers? If not you 'might' have a problem gifting it to a friend in US.

#4 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

The login to the game is region locked. He can still play on any server just can only login from the country he bought the game. I would just give him the money through paypal and get him to buy the game himself in america.

That way your also not breaking the EULA by exchanging login info which however unlikely can get the account banned if someone decides to tell Anet on you. Happend to me on eve online, someone trusted me with there account while they were on holiday to keep running skills for them, he then decided to tell CCP I hacked his account, even though I did not and I proved I did not with chat logs, we both got banned anyway for giving out login information and breaking the EULA.

I got my account back eventually but im Never making that mistake again. :P

Edited by Eon Lilu, 05 December 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#5 liinniejj

liinniejj

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KLF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

erhm it doesnt matter where you live you can play on any server you want no matter if its on the other
side of the world. you just have timedifference issue but hey if you dont mind that.

#6 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

View Postliinniejj, on 05 December 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

erhm it doesnt matter where you live you can play on any server you want no matter if its on the other
side of the world. you just have timedifference issue but hey if you dont mind that.

Your sort of right. It does matter where you buy the game and where you plan to play it, if you buy from one region you can't login from any other region than the one you bought the game from. The login is region locked, the servers are not. You can still play on any server, its just locked on your login location.

So for example im from the UK, I bought the game from the EU GW2 Online Store, if I was to move to the USA and try to login, the game would not let me.

Edited by Eon Lilu, 05 December 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#7 Senatic

Senatic

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Postliinniejj, on 05 December 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

The client is the same all over the place however im not sure anet is a big fan of peple having eachother their login info etc. What i'd suggest is you buy the digital version in his name with your creditcard or however you wanna pay for it and then send him the serial code/key wich if you use his email adress with purchase will go straight into his inbox. its how my boyfriend bought it for me i suddenly had a gameliscence in my mail hehe.

Absolutely do not do this. As others have said the game is region locked, meaning if you buy it in EU you can not log in from outside Europe.

Edited by Senatic, 05 December 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#8 Kuleyb

Kuleyb

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

appreciate the answers. looks like ill just have to pay pal as one of you said.

Edited by Kuleyb, 05 December 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#9 Vysander

Vysander

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostEon Lilu, on 05 December 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Your sort of right. It does matter where you buy the game and where you plan to play it, if you buy from one region you can't login from any other region than the one you bought the game from. The login is region locked, the servers are not. You can still play on any server, its just locked on your login location.

So for example im from the UK, I bought the game from the EU GW2 Online Store, if I was to move to the USA and try to login, the game would not let me.

This is false as well. I can log into an account that was purchased in the UK and i live in America.

Unless you mean if you were to take your computer to america then you would not be allowed to log in with your EU purchased game client. Which still would be weird as i would think it would just require you to allow access from whatever IP you are currently at.

So, unless the game client itself requires itself to be in the country of purchase, there should be no issue. (which really, that would be weird).

However, i think you should send the game code to whoever you're buying it for and have them register it themselves (just in case).

View PostSenatic, on 05 December 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Absolutely do not do this. As others have said the game is region locked, meaning if you buy it in EU you can not log in from outside Europe.

So the game client is locked, but not account? (trying to figure this out). Or does this not apply to UK?

*edit for another bit of info*

I've had a friend who lives in america and had a log in attempt on their account from China. Told this by the email authentication system.

So if you download a game client in the country you are playing from, it would work regardless of account origin?

Edited by Vysander, 05 December 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#10 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Maybe they changed it then, logins were region locked to the country you bought the game in at launch.

Edited by Eon Lilu, 05 December 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#11 sorting hat

sorting hat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

There are only two versions, US and Europe. Other countries will get either version based on where you are. I can tell you this that if you buy it in China you'll get the US version (I think most international versions are US client anyway). That's why I wondered if Middle East is US client or not (though I think it is). As for buying the game in one country then play in another, I haven't had any personal experience with this but I'd say you'd better play safe than sorry. Send money through Paypal and ask your friend to buy it himself will definitely not fail. :)

#12 Marqo

Marqo

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Can confirm you can play any server from anywhere. I have played on both EU and US servers.
You can also log onto someone else's account (if you both are going to be playing the same one) the only thing that will happen, is an email notification, which you can just tick "allow from this I.P address" and it won't show up again.
My gf and I both do it.
We've also been in other country's and done it to one another's accounts.
They may frown upon it but, it is possible :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users