Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Choosing an order?


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Shoppy

Shoppy

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

I've already joined the Vigil with my Charr warrior, which has already hit 80. I rolled an Norn Necro and hit the level with requires me to choose which order to join. I like the Vigil because i like jumping in and killing people but i've already completed the storyline with my warrior and if the story line is the same it would be really boring. Does anyone know if the storyline will be the same?

Necro is a scholar class so I feel like i'm obliged to join the Priory. But Priory are more like scholars and stuff and Vigil is much more fun.

#2 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

play what you like, unless you are the completionist type, in that case, you are pretty much forced to play all three Orders.

but my wife is priory and i am vigil and they are both equally fun man, just go with the priory, youve got nothing to lose.

#3 Sheepski

Sheepski

    Seraph Guardian

  • Moderators
  • 1240 posts
  • Location:Manchester
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Yeah as Rickter says, unless you're a completionist it doesn't matter too much. I am though so I had to do all 3 storylines :P The story will be the same if you join the Vigil again.

However, even in the other orders you still get to choose stuff like: whether you wan to ambush or direct head on etc.

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!


#4 Bottoms_Up

Bottoms_Up

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Location:NZ
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

If it isn't going to matter too much to you, then a secondary consideration might be whether any of the orders have equipment/skins you might like for your characters.

#5 LavaSquid

LavaSquid

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 452 posts
  • Location:Singapore
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[----]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

Whisper is fun too! Who knows, at least give all of them a try :D

#6 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3975 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostLavaSquid, on 05 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Whisper is fun too! Who knows, at least give all of them a try :D

If it helps any, the "original" Master of Whispers was a necromancer...

#7 Critus

Critus

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 267 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GODS]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

So far ive done both the Priory and Vigil stories. The Vigil story in my op is a lot better, I even made my armor look like Warmaster Vargus' for a while xD....
But the other thing to consider is the armor. Since you did the vigil might as well just pick whatever gives you better looking armor or weapons for your class.

#8 Arquenya

Arquenya

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

They're not that different (done all 3), I think the Whispers mentor (Tybalt) is the most fun one, though. And their home base is very close to LA, which is convenient (priory is furthest away).

A lot of quests are really the same, like the part where you choose a race to look further into. And if you still want another order's armour or weapons you can always use the transmutation to white item trick.

Edited by Arquenya, 05 December 2012 - 02:20 PM.


#9 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Enjoy killing lots and lots of things mindlessly?  Go Vigil again.
Enjoy some more exploration of lore and a nice big place in Lornar's Pass?  Go Priory.
Enjoy the best NPC-acting in the game and apples (and also more stealthy-esque things)?  Go Whisperers.

Or, go look up the armors/weapons from each order and see if you like any of them, and then go that route.

Also, picking an order has very little effect on what happens after level 40 quests.  The personal story is organized like this:
1-10: Choice 1 in character creation
10-20: Choice 2 in character creation
20-30: Join an order
30-40: Train with order
40-50: Learn about another race
50: claw island attack
50-80: being trahearne's loyal pet doggy who does everything for him while he takes all the credit

Personally, having played all 3 through claw island (all of them merge after this quest and the quest is the same for all orders - just a slightly different ending due to NPCs involved), Whisperers was my favorite.  Vigil was kinda boring to me, and I hated the priory mentor NPC's voice.

#10 Firstborn12

Firstborn12

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostArquenya, on 05 December 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

....... And if you still want another order's armour or weapons you can always use the transmutation to white item trick.

I believe you can only do this with the Order Weapons, not the Armor. Cuase I tried getting a Vigil shoulder piece and transmuting it with a low level white gear, still soulbounded to the one I bought it with. I read on wiki once that you can change Orders but never said how.

#11 Doki20

Doki20

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostShoppy, on 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

...Necro is a scholar class so I feel like i'm obliged to join the Priory. But Priory are more like scholars and stuff and Vigil is much more fun.

It doesn't work like that. There are plenty of heavy armor users in the Priory as well. Just join the one which fits the personality of your character. Also.. I personally found the Whispers storyline a lot better than the other two.

#12 Linfang

Linfang

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2362 posts
  • Location:Ohio
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I joined the Priory because I was an Asura and it fit his mindset and personality. And I am A Guardian.

#13 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I chose vigil as necro, enjoying the content a lot. Feel free to pick the one you like.

#14 LordBlades

LordBlades

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postmatsif, on 05 December 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Enjoy killing lots and lots of things mindlessly?  Go Vigil again.
Enjoy some more exploration of lore and a nice big place in Lornar's Pass?  Go Priory.
Enjoy the best NPC-acting in the game and apples (and also more stealthy-esque things)?  Go Whisperers.

Or, go look up the armors/weapons from each order and see if you like any of them, and then go that route.

Also, picking an order has very little effect on what happens after level 40 quests.  The personal story is organized like this:
1-10: Choice 1 in character creation
10-20: Choice 2 in character creation
20-30: Join an order
30-40: Train with order
40-50: Learn about another race
50: claw island attack
50-80: being trahearne's loyal pet doggy who does everything for him while he takes all the credit

Personally, having played all 3 through claw island (all of them merge after this quest and the quest is the same for all orders - just a slightly different ending due to NPCs involved), Whisperers was my favorite.  Vigil was kinda boring to me, and I hated the priory mentor NPC's voice.

I believe what order you join also affects the quest chain that happens between retaking Claw Island and the Battle of Fort Trinity. My Sylvari Mesmer in Order of Whispers had a completely different quest line than my Charr Guardian in the Vigil.

#15 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Obiouvsly story is related to your choice and change accordingly to it, you don't pick an order based of if you like the name or not ;)

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 05 December 2012 - 05:39 PM.


#16 Xunlai Agent

Xunlai Agent

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Order of Whispers, many of its leaders have been Necromancers :)

#17 Bloggi

Bloggi

    Savant

  • Members
  • 857 posts
  • Location:Coastal
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thus far I've had one toon in each of two orders, Priory and Whispers. Both have been very good IMO, and now working on taking a third toon through Vigil. Priory and Whispers are very flexible and an average player will have no issues with it regardless of class. A long time ago a poster here complained about Priory, its more 'academic' nature and the use of tools that 'gimp' your toon, so naturally I was a bit worried about it. But all the concerns were unfounded, it was no problem at all.

My brother took a plate class through Vigil and it's an Order that goes in for full frontal assault...any class *should* be able to manage it, but I reckon being a plate class helps to weather that sort of punishment a little better...or at least if you're using a cloth class, go for something tanky. Obviously you've done some planning with the end in mind, looking at the Order armor and weapons, and that's a good way to go with it.

#18 Arquenya

Arquenya

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostFirstborn12, on 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

I believe you can only do this with the Order Weapons, not the Armor. Cuase I tried getting a Vigil shoulder piece and transmuting it with a low level white gear, still soulbounded to the one I bought it with. I read on wiki once that you can change Orders but never said how.
It only says it's soulbound but it isn't. My warrior uses Vigil and Whispers armour pieces so yes, I tried!
The only thing that doesn't work is race specific armour and of course, other armour types than your character is allowed to wear.

View PostXekk, on 05 December 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

A long time ago a poster here complained about Priory, its more 'academic' nature and the use of tools that 'gimp' your toon, so naturally I was a bit worried about it. But all the concerns were unfounded, it was no problem at all.
Yes sometimes I found this a bit annoying as you're supposed to know the new weapon and in case of the Defend the Order mission, the weapon in case is really worthless (but you can choose not to use it). But for the rest it's a nice enough piece of the storyline.

Generally I liked the Order part of the storylines most so you can'tr really go wrong here!

#19 Xephyr

Xephyr

    Fashion Addict

  • Members
  • 428 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[Syn]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Ive done all 3 storylines, and Whispers was definitely the most fun one to me, and though I thought I wouldnt like it at all, I liked the Priory storyline more than the Vigil storyline.

#20 Kurosov

Kurosov

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 593 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[TAC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostXekk, on 05 December 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Thus far I've had one toon in each of two orders, Priory and Whispers. Both have been very good IMO, and now working on taking a third toon through Vigil. Priory and Whispers are very flexible and an average player will have no issues with it regardless of class. A long time ago a poster here complained about Priory, its more 'academic' nature and the use of tools that 'gimp' your toon, so naturally I was a bit worried about it. But all the concerns were unfounded, it was no problem at all.

My brother took a plate class through Vigil and it's an Order that goes in for full frontal assault...any class *should* be able to manage it, but I reckon being a plate class helps to weather that sort of punishment a little better...or at least if you're using a cloth class, go for something tanky. Obviously you've done some planning with the end in mind, looking at the Order armor and weapons, and that's a good way to go with it.

I chose vigil for an engineer, priory for a warrior and whispers for an elementalist.

the game and its missions are balanced well enough that class doesn't really act as a barrier with any ps missions.

Neither does race, the order representatives during the retaking of claw island highlight this with a norn for priory and asura for vigil.

I'd suggest if you are planning on playing at least 3 characters to at least choose a different order each time but prioritise it mostly on if you want their skins rather than what seems "right".

#21 Kovares

Kovares

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Each story line will often present you with a choice of 2 more or less similar options, but they all branch together at certain points, effectively making your previous choice largely meaningless

About the stories, I played all three, IMHO whispers was pretty good (in game standards), and had the pretty much only really likeable npc in the game. Vigil was decent, but really lacked memorable events/figures of any kind. Priory, IMHO, was horrible. I only vaguely remember the story by now, only that it was an incredibly boring chase of artifacts, with little to no "bigger picture" moments at all. Oh, and your "mentor" is basically a 12 year old female version of trahearne, the alldouchy.

Yes, it is that bad.

#22 Firstborn12

Firstborn12

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostArquenya, on 06 December 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

It only says it's soulbound but it isn't. My warrior uses Vigil and Whispers armour pieces so yes, I tried!
The only thing that doesn't work is race specific armour and of course, other armour types than your character is allowed to wear.


I tried it just now, and after transmuting it, it will account bound instead of Soul bound, which is cool, cuase I wanted the Wisper armor instead of the Vigil for my ranger.

#23 Xunlai Agent

Xunlai Agent

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I enjoyed Whispers the most followed by Vigil. I was not a fan of the Priory characters though searching for the Dwarven sword was a nice idea .

#24 typographie

typographie

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2006 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostShoppy, on 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

Necro is a scholar class so I feel like i'm obliged to join the Priory. But Priory are more like scholars and stuff and Vigil is much more fun.

Priory vs. Vigil philosophical differences are just lore differences in the game, without much to do with real play mechanics. Just because you've joined the Priory doesn't mean you're always doing "spellcaster stuff." They send you around to various historical sites and/or to retrieve artifacts, but in effect you're pretty much just doing more combat-type stuff in whatever manner suits your preferences.

Choice of order matters a lot more if you want a particular armor set or weapon for the character, though as I understand it there's ways around that too.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users