16 replies to this topic

#1 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hello! I need severe help! I just finished putting my computer together and all seemed fine until it started shutting off on it's own.

Here are my specs:
  • ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 (Motherboard)
  • 3TB HDD
  • ASUS Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
  • 750W PSU
  • AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz Quad-core Processor w/ Stock CPU fan
  • 2 x 4GB RAM (8GB in total)
  • 3 x Chasis fan
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64-bit
  • VGA display

Can't think of anything else to post but I managed to figure out what the previous beeps did and they no longer beep like that but then I get the SYSTEM OK beep that's one short beep and if I'm booting Windows normally, it'll shut off in the next 10 seconds. Then here's the weird part, I'm currently using the computer for the last 13 minutes and it hasn't shut off yet because I'm in safe mode w/ networking.

That's weird and what can I do for it to stop freaking out when I do a normal boot? It usually freaks out if I'm doing something memory extensive (ex. Watch a livestream, have multiple tabs open (had like 5 open), and even loading up League of Legends.) I haven't tried playing a game on here since I can't even have the comp stay on for more than 10 seconds without Safe mode w/ Networking.

The DRAM LED lights up once whenever I boot, but the RAM's seated in properly according to the mobo's manual: 1 stick - DIMM_A1, 2 sticks - DIMM_A2 & B2, 4 sticks - DIMM_A1, A2, B1, & B2 Which I'm using the 2-stick set-up that the manual says I should be using. And when I say "light up" it flickers on for a second then goes off. I tried to do the MEM OK! testing that the manual says to do but it does nothing, lol.

Remember: this is an entirely new comp, so I'm not integrating any old pieces into a newer build. Thanks in advance!

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3346 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Reset/clear the BIOS?

Edited by Quaker, 05 December 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#3 Celestine Grey

Celestine Grey

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostRiceball, on 05 December 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Hello! I need severe help! I just finished putting my computer together and all seemed fine until it started shutting off on it's own.

Here are my specs:
  • ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 (Motherboard)
  • 3TB HDD
  • ASUS Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
  • 750W PSU
  • AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz Quad-core Processor w/ Stock CPU fan
  • 2 x 4GB RAM (8GB in total)
  • 3 x Chasis fan
  • Windows 7 Ultimate x64-bit
  • VGA display
Can't think of anything else to post but I managed to figure out what the previous beeps did and they no longer beep like that but then I get the SYSTEM OK beep that's one short beep and if I'm booting Windows normally, it'll shut off in the next 10 seconds. Then here's the weird part, I'm currently using the computer for the last 13 minutes and it hasn't shut off yet because I'm in safe mode w/ networking.

That's weird and what can I do for it to stop freaking out when I do a normal boot? It usually freaks out if I'm doing something memory extensive (ex. Watch a livestream, have multiple tabs open (had like 5 open), and even loading up League of Legends.) I haven't tried playing a game on here since I can't even have the comp stay on for more than 10 seconds without Safe mode w/ Networking.

The DRAM LED lights up once whenever I boot, but the RAM's seated in properly according to the mobo's manual: 1 stick - DIMM_A1, 2 sticks - DIMM_A2 & B2, 4 sticks - DIMM_A1, A2, B1, & B2 Which I'm using the 2-stick set-up that the manual says I should be using. And when I say "light up" it flickers on for a second then goes off. I tried to do the MEM OK! testing that the manual says to do but it does nothing, lol.

Remember: this is an entirely new comp, so I'm not integrating any old pieces into a newer build. Thanks in advance!

Have you overclocked anything?

I'd try clearing the BIOS using the jumper as the post above advises.

If that doesn't work then maybe it's some service that's running or not running as it's fine with safe mode? Maybe try using a live CD of linux to see if that has the same issue - if it does I'd be looking at the HDD

#4 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

First go to my computer and make sure it's showing 8GB of memory. Double check the power connections to the MB. Then as above reset BIOS by Removing the motherboard battery for a few seconds Go into BIOS and make sure the tinnings are set right for the memory. Remove stick from A2 try again swap the stick from A2 with A1 try again. Call Asus tech support.

Edited by Zerk2012, 05 December 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#5 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

I've reset the BIOS as recommended even before making this post. I made sure to leave it out for 10 seconds even without a power source connected. Everything's connected properly and it makes different beeps if I put them in different RAM slots that aren't recommended by the mobo's book.

Nothing's overclocked at all. Unless you're talking about my processor which says something about being unlocked or something. But no, not that I know of since I can't even run anything, lol.

I've re-seat the RAM back into it's proper place and the mobo now gives me the RAM seat error when they're both seated in tightly with the locks clicked in (One Short Beep then one Long beep). I've tried to reformat my HDD and attempt to reinstall my OS but it can't even stay on for more than 10 seconds to do so.

I'm thinking it's a motherboard problem. Like the DRAM slots are defunct. Yes, they do read as 8GB in the bios as well as the computer itself. I did the MEM OK! test and it says that it's been completed and to go into set up to change any settings but I can't do that as the computer doesn't even stay on for more than 10 seconds...I've even tried with one stick booting at a time, and no dice.

Any ideas before I submit my mobo for an RMA? Thanks, guys.

Edited by Riceball, 05 December 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#6 Seki

Seki

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 33 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EMP]

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostRiceball, on 05 December 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

I've reset the BIOS as recommended even before making this post. I made sure to leave it out for 10 seconds even without a power source connected. Everything's connected properly and it makes different beeps if I put them in different RAM slots that aren't recommended by the mobo's book.

Nothing's overclocked at all. Unless you're talking about my processor which says something about being unlocked or something. But no, not that I know of since I can't even run anything, lol.

I've re-seat the RAM back into it's proper place and the mobo now gives me the RAM seat error when they're both seated in tightly with the locks clicked in (One Short Beep then one Long beep). I've tried to reformat my HDD and attempt to reinstall my OS but it can't even stay on for more than 10 seconds to do so.

I'm thinking it's a motherboard problem. Like the DRAM slots are defunct. Yes, they do read as 8GB in the bios as well as the computer itself. I did the MEM OK! test and it says that it's been completed and to go into set up to change any settings but I can't do that as the computer doesn't even stay on for more than 10 seconds...I've even tried with one stick booting at a time, and no dice.

Any ideas before I submit my mobo for an RMA? Thanks, guys.

Do you have another stick of RAM to test with than the one's you're currently using? It could be your DRAM slots, it could be the RAM or it could just be the Mother Board being defective.

Try submitting your issue over at http://www.tomshardware.com/ and see if an expert can help you. You'd get more in-depth help over there than you would here. You can also try browsing their forums to see if others have had a similar issue.

Elite Solidarity - Jade Quarry

Seki - 80 Thief

Char Siu Manapua - 80 Guardian

#7 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostSeki, on 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Do you have another stick of RAM to test with than the one's you're currently using? It could be your DRAM slots, it could be the RAM or it could just be the Mother Board being defective.

Try submitting your issue over at http://www.tomshardware.com/ and see if an expert can help you. You'd get more in-depth help over there than you would here. You can also try browsing their forums to see if others have had a similar issue.

No other sticks of RAM I could test it with since all I've ever used before building this computer were laptops. Looking into it, the RAM I currently have is incompatible with my motherboard! Looking through the list of Qualified Vendors List provided by ASUS for my motherboard, the RAM I have isn't listed. So I'll need to buy new COMPATIBLE RAM and RMA this motherboard since the DRAM slots don't read the RAM anymore anyway.

I'm pretty much at a dilemma though. Should I keep the mobo and wait for the new RAM to get here before I send the RMA in? Thanks and your thoughts are highly appreciated!

#8 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Post a link to the exact ram you bought.

#9 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 05 December 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Post a link to the exact ram you bought.

It came with my boyfriend's motherboard for free: Link
*Not compatible with my motherboard but his, lol.

And I now know I needed this one instead: Link
*Listed in ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard manual's Qualified Vendors List section.

Attached Files

Edited by Riceball, 05 December 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#10 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

That memory should of worked fine.
17% bad and doa reviews. http://www.newegg.co...eywords)&Page=1

Edited by Zerk2012, 05 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#11 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 05 December 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

That memory should of worked fine.
17% bad and doa reviews. http://www.newegg.co...eywords)&Page=1

So I should get a replacement, right? Or just get the RAM since it's not compatible. I don't know.
Everything seemed to be a memory issue since it couldn't hold something memory hungry stable, like downloading, installing, watching a video/livestream, or even loading applications.

#12 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostRiceball, on 05 December 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

So I should get a replacement, right? Or just get the RAM since it's not compatible. I don't know.
Everything seemed to be a memory issue since it couldn't hold something memory hungry stable, like downloading, installing, watching a video/livestream, or even loading applications.
I've never built a PC that would not take that memory unless it would not support 1600 MHz. Are you sure the 1.25 volt memory you listed was on the support list I'm not going to download that file. Are you SURE one short beep then a long beep is the memory?
This is what I see.
1 long beep and 2 short beeps = memory issue
1 long beep and 3 short beeps = VGA issue
1 long beep and 4 short beeps = hardware component issue

Edited by Zerk2012, 05 December 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#13 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 05 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I've never build a PC that would not take that memory. Are you sure the 1.25 volt memory you listed was on the support list I'm not going to download that file. Are you SURE one short beep then a long beep is the memory?

It boots from that RAM but it doesn't support it so it shuts off in a couple seconds. And yes, in the second file it lists that RAM I'm buying. The First short beep is the normal boot beep sound then after that is a beep longer than the latter. Of course, the DRAM LED flickers for a second then goes off. The only LED that goes off every boot.

#14 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostRiceball, on 05 December 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

It boots from that RAM but it doesn't support it so it shuts off in a couple seconds. And yes, in the second file it lists that RAM I'm buying. The First short beep is the normal boot beep sound then after that is a beep longer than the latter. Of course, the DRAM LED flickers for a second then goes off. The only LED that goes off every boot.
That looks to be true just found this.
Asus Motherboard Beep Codes

Asus motherboards with often utilize either the AMI or the Award BIOS manufacturers. Below are some of the more common beep codes that you may encounter

AMI Beep Codes
  • A series of 2, 3, or 8 beeps denote issues with the memory.
  • A series of short and then one long beep indicate that no memory, or the wrong type of memory, is currently installed.
  • 4 to 6 beeps indicate a problem with the motherboard, as does a series of 10 or 11 beeps.
I find this strange that you could boot to safe mode and now nothing.

#15 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostZerk2012, on 05 December 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

I find this strange that you could boot to safe mode and now nothing.

Yeah, same here. Here's the conclusion that I came up when discussing with my boyfriend: During the initial boot-up before installing the OS, the system could run off of the RAM, despite incompatibility. It would run the OS installer fine until the OS boots from the system for the second time around. From there on is where the issues started with the boots and random shutdowns. The RAM would read as 8GB in the BIOS, but with the new OS, the motherboard didn't know what to do exactly with the incompatible RAM. For example, it didn't know what data to hold or release like giving a baby an iPhone and all it knows to do with it is dabble with it/break it rather than actually utilizing it, get it? With the Safe-mode in use, the OS is utilizing less files that require memory (UI, images, anything memory extensive related to the OS) and actually running as a normal system but who wants to run in Safe-mode all the time...

TL;DR, Motherboard probably dabbled with the RAM but didn't really know how to use it due to incompatibility.

I have ordered the new RAM and will test my theory out then. I'll be back qq...

Edited by Riceball, 06 December 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#16 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I really dought that check if the ram in his PC is on the list and try it again I have never seen that Gskill ram not work in a PC that will support 1600MHz ram 1.5 volts. Also since you tested one stick at a time the chances or getting 2 doa sticks are Uggg.

Edited by Zerk2012, 06 December 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#17 Riceball

Riceball

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostZerk2012, on 06 December 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

I really dought that check if the ram in his PC is on the list and try it again I have never seen that Gskill ram not work in a PC that will support 1600MHz ram 1.5 volts. Also since you tested one stick at a time the chances or getting 2 doa sticks are Uggg.

Yes, looking at his manual, it lists this as a Qualified Vendors List RAM. I will attempt to rebuild my comp and retry all that was recommended in case I missed out on anything. I'll report back!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users