• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

hey guys, can i get some opinions on this hot mess:

http://gw2skills.net...FJKyWkrIZRDCOgA

the idea is to be heavy support as the title states.  

my focus in dungeons has shifted towards micro managing the team in the form of:
  • applying protection whenever possible
  • applying aegis whenever possible
  • applying Empower whenever possible
  • applying ReGeneration whenever possible
i guess my main concern here is im sacrificing too much dps, so here is an alternative(?)

this build attempts to maximize on my one handed weapon effectiveness primarily with swords.

critique away!

Edited by Rickter, 06 December 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#2 Serris

Serris

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

if you want to mass apply protection, i find a hammer a more useful weapon. the chain plants a symbol that grants protection to your allies inside the symbol. you can trait the symbol to be larger and heal. with the combofinisher on hammer you can also grant retaliation. the only people needing protection are the ones that are close enough to the enemy to get hit by it.
it also allows you to immobilize enemies and place a ring that keeps enemies inside/outside.
i think you should swap out the sword/shield for a hammer. the defensive skills on shield have a too long cooldown to keep up protection as much as possible.
you would also be able to take the 20% 2H mastery trait, since it would benefit both hammer and staff, giving you more empowers.

i also think that inspired virtue is very useful for a build focussing on boons. it gives your party boons when activating a virtue. if you want aegis, you'll be activating virtue of courage anyways, it's useful to also get protection then. your virtue of resolve applies the regeneration you wanted.

so i think what you're aiming for can more easily be achieved with this build:
http://en.gw2skills....FJKyWkrIZRDCOgA

also, pick different runes. i added 4 runes to the build editor (water and monk), as you want to be aiming for boon duration.
the last 2 rune slots can be filled with major rune of sanctuary (not superior) to add another 20%.
you can also instead use superior runes of earth, for added protection duration (although if you do you might be going overkill on the protection)

i hope this helped :)

#3 B3aT

B3aT

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[MASH]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Your build is good for what you asked.

The huge advantage of the hammer are the combos, as finisher and starter (GS has 2 finishers but for own usage only).
The bad thing at the hammer is that if you spam the #1 skills for the last field will take all your time just to do that, ruining my skill management, running to heal others, giving empower etc.

Momentarily the best balance between damage/tank and healing/buffer are the staff/GS, both benefits from the 20% 2H CD reduction,

You can increase power by using potions and foods too.

Edited by B3aT, 06 December 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#4 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

hey i saw the concern over the shield skill cooldowns and idk how i missed this before but you can decrease the CD on shield skills:

as far as runes, i'll be honest, im a level 50 and i dont know anything about runes, i am all for suggestions.

Edited by Rickter, 06 December 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#5 Serris

Serris

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

more than 20 seconds is too long for me personally. i like the one on the hammer more because it's at the end of every chain. admitted, the chain of the hammer is one of the longest in the game, but the hammer is a pretty tactical weapon. no twitchy reactions on that. shouts don't interrupt the chain, so they work together quite well.

and yeah, runes aren't something you need to worry about, but i saw you had them filled in, so i thought you might have been asking opinions on those as well.

#6 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostSerris, on 06 December 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

and yeah, runes aren't something you need to worry about, but i saw you had them filled in, so i thought you might have been asking opinions on those as well.

i would like some opinions on those :)  what would have good synergy with my particular build and goal for this build?

#7 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

so i ran two dungeons with the sword/shield/staff combination and honestly?  its working pretty good.  heavy support is just that.  there is no glory, just personal satisfaction that your protection and aegis kept your team alive.  

dps takes a serious plunge with this build however.  to the point where im finding it difficult to solo content.  im probably going to keep a greatsword on hand for that reason.

#8 Arquenya

Arquenya

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1200 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostRickter, on 09 December 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

so i ran two dungeons with the sword/shield/staff combination and honestly?  its working pretty good.  heavy support is just that.  there is no glory, just personal satisfaction that your protection and aegis kept your team alive.  

dps takes a serious plunge with this build however.  to the point where im finding it difficult to solo content.  im probably going to keep a greatsword on hand for that reason.
I am also thinking about using more than 1 set. Especially with the new + heal + boon + toughness insignia (armour) you can make a real good support build, but it will take ages to kill anything.

Haven't seen any dedicated +heal + boon (or any dedicated support) builds on this forum, though.

Edited by Arquenya, 17 December 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#9 Green

Green

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostSerris, on 06 December 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

so i think what you're aiming for can more easily be achieved with this build:
http://en.gw2skills....FJKyWkrIZRDCOgA

You left out the two most important traits a Guardian can use for team support. Instead of Pure of Voice take Battle Presence in the Honor line which gives a passive heal to your allies every 3 seconds based on your healing, and drop Retributive Armor for Strength in Number in the Valor line which gives +30 toughness to nearby allies. Yesterday it was giving +70 which I think is based on the changes to the guardian in the last up date.

I've changed my guardian build to what you see below to increase the amount of healing Battle Presence provides myself and allies from around 150 per 3 sec to around 305, and my guild loves me for it.

http://gw2skills.net...vEeZrx5l0r1GjNA

Edit: Changed Battle Presence number from 350 to 305 (typo)

Edited by Green, 17 December 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#10 Arquenya

Arquenya

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1200 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostGreen, on 17 December 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

You left out the two most important traits a Guardian can use for team support. Instead of Pure of Voice take Battle Presence in the Honor line which gives a passive heal to your allies every 3 seconds based on your healing, and drop Retributive Armor for Strength in Number in the Valor line which gives +30 toughness to nearby allies. Yesterday it was giving +70 which I think is based on the changes to the guardian in the last up date.

I've changed my guardian build to what you see below to increase the amount of healing Battle Presence provides myself and allies from around 150 per 3 sec to around 350, and my guild loves me for it.

Why "Retreat" and not "Hold the Line"?

#11 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

im switching to mace/shield/greatsword out of STRONG recommendation and eye witness accounts. . . ill let you guys know how that goes

#12 Serris

Serris

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostGreen, on 17 December 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

I've changed my guardian build to what you see below to increase the amount of healing Battle Presence provides myself and allies from around 150 per 3 sec to around 350, and my guild loves me for it.

i chose pure of voice because OP wanted to apply as much boons as possible. personally i would go with empowering might and 2H cd on the last two choices (but i usually run staff + hammer/gs).
but i don't like feeling like a world of warcraft shaman totem :P

#13 Green

Green

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostArquenya, on 17 December 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Why "Retreat" and not "Hold the Line"?

To grant Aegis to allies, and I love the Swiftness buff when hanging around town or adventuring solo. Fractal dungeons benefit nicely from the party wide Swiftness when running (Swampland, Snowblind), swimming (Aquatic Ruins), jumping (Uncategorized), as well as standard dungeon speed runs.

I thought I'd mention Hold the Line does not proc with Altruistic Healing (bug?) so I tend to use Stand Your Ground if I have 30 points in the Valor line for Altruistic Healing.

Additionally I put Hold the Line in my bar instead of Stand Your Ground in cases where Stability is not needed for this particular build as it has just 20 points/not using Altruistic Healing.

Edited by Green, 17 December 2012 - 06:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users