Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

GW2 vs other MMOs


  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

im not interested in planet side 2.  ive had my fill of FPS and planetside looks like a larger, futuristic battlefield 3.

#122 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Aye deffo is a battlefield game. Fun but ye, not so much fantasy-mmo hehe :)
There is a famous f2p one.
http://www.runescape.com/

not stealing money to their customers for the client if you just want to enjoy some fantasy f2p and similar kind of mmo

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 10 December 2012 - 06:51 AM.


#123 Heart Collector

Heart Collector

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 932 posts
  • Location:Athens, Greece

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I wish people would stop comparing MMOs to the extent that they do and just enjoy each game separately for its merits. And if they don't enjoy a game just quit, never look back, and search for something better suited to their tastes.

#124 Blu_Haze

Blu_Haze

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostRickter, on 07 December 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

they still do, please reference: The Secret World.

Let me rephrase, I meant niche games that were actually good.

I've known about TSW for quite a while now, but unfortunately the game just wasn't that good on launch. Niche games have always been around, however most of them are terrible and not made by competent companies.

View PostRickter, on 07 December 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Richard Garriott is still alive and he is still a legend and he is developing a game that will change the future of mmos called: Ultimate RPG.

cuz you know, EA aint giving back the ultima name. . .

please reference: http://www.portalari...ts/ultimate-rpg

Yeah....wasn't that what they said about Tabula Rasa?

That turned out well...

#125 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostBlu_Haze, on 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Let me rephrase, I meant niche games that were actually good.

I've known about TSW for quite a while now, but unfortunately the game just wasn't that good on launch. Niche games have always been around, however most of them are terrible and not made by competent companies.

except, the secret world isnt a bad game. . . have you played it? very well thought out, but its not worth a sub.  not because its bad, but because of its structure.  its like D3 mmo style.  you beat the game, just to beat it again to unlock more skills etc etc, just like diablo games, so because of this, i dont feel like its worth a sub as diablo does not charge a sub for the similar model.


View PostBlu_Haze, on 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Yeah....wasn't that what they said about Tabula Rasa?

That turned out well...

yeah tabula rasa had potential and it just died. . . i know i know, but if you wtch interviews with RG, you can just tell, this guy still has the power.

#126 Elysen

Elysen

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 410 posts
  • Location:England.
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

GW2 is an MMO that benefits me as a casual player (I'd rather not be casual, but university takes a HUGE chunk of time), than other MMOs, to be typical let's say WoW.

I think WoW is a better game, and so it should be for £10 a month, but I can play GW2 on and off and not miss out on anything. I don't need to commit to logging at at X o'clock to complete Y, else be kicked from my guild.

If I get bored of GW2 (I often have periods where I don't touch it for a week) I can just not play it and I won't feel like I've wasted any money.

I have racked up about 360 hours so far (type /age in-game, for those who don't know) which was definitely worth my £35 for the game.  If I get bored, I can quit for a couple of months and return for FREE (unless they bring out expansions).

GW2 is great for it's price tag. There may be other "free" MMOs that are better, but all "free" MMO microtransaction/business models are abysmal.

#127 Stargate

Stargate

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1760 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

View PostXephenon, on 17 December 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

GW2 is an MMO that benefits me as a casual player (I'd rather not be casual, but university takes a HUGE chunk of time), than other MMOs, to be typical let's say WoW.I think WoW is a better game, and so it should be for £10 a month, but I can play GW2 on and off and not miss out on anything. I don't need to commit to logging at at X o'clock to complete Y, else be kicked from my guild.If I get bored of GW2 (I often have periods where I don't touch it for a week) I can just not play it and I won't feel like I've wasted any money.I have racked up about 360 hours so far (type /age in-game, for those who don't know) which was definitely worth my £35 for the game.  If I get bored, I can quit for a couple of months and return for FREE (unless they bring out expansions).GW2 is great for it's price tag. There may be other "free" MMOs that are better, but all "free" MMO microtransaction/business models are abysmal.
I am hardcore player when I play, but I do like sports and I am not super nerd even though I work with IT. DDO Online free microtransactions was really no paradise. DDO Online was however a sub game that was changed to Microtransactions to lure new players to try it. I tried it for a week and I was still level 1. If you did not pay at least back then when DDO Online became "free" the level up speed could compete with Everquest(never played it but I have heard stories) for slowest level up speed.

That said Neverwinter MMO is totally free from the beginning and for the first time I am REALLY interested in a totally free MMO!

View PostStargate, on 15 December 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

I really would like to give link to a trailer of Titan MMO, but problem is none have been released.Well anyway I can post link to a Neverwinter MMO early E3 trailer:
and a newer trailer The 'Chasm Adventure Zone Lore' video:
Neverwinter is released in 2013 and is totally free game. Usually totally free games don't look so professional!

Neverwinter vs GW2
+ Neverwinter MMO has better PvE. To start with developers talk that endgame exists! As for loot policy it is more hardcore then GW2, but I would suspect less hardcore then WOW.
+ Neverwinter has true Action combat(Wizards need to aim to hit their target). An odd combination of Action combat and Dungeons Dragons 4th edition rules in a Forgotten Realms fantasy World.
+ Neverwinter MMO will not be so CPU bound and demanding as GW2. There are no players in these forums who can say that they can enjoy 60+ average frame rate in Lions Arch.
+ Neverwinter is totally free game. It costs money to buy GW2.
+ Neverwinter has the FOUNDRY a tool so players can create instance adventures that other players can enjoy.
- PvP is pretty unknown. Developers say PvP will be included. I do know that full Open World PvP is not supported in Neverwinter. I would suspect Battlegrounds, but what gaming modes(example Capture The Flag) is supported is totally unknown. That said Guild Wars 2 has the MIST PvP with up to 2000 players. If you like huge PvP battles yeah in that regard I think GW2 has a feature that is better then Neverwinter.
- Graphics in Neverwinter is not so good as max graphics in Guild wars 2. That said GW2 looks pretty terrible with low graphics worse then Neverwinter or WOW with high graphic settings. If you compare Neverwinter graphics to other free MMO:s then Neverwinter looks great! Neverwinter looks good enough IMO!

Titan vs GW2?
+ Developed by Blizzard. Blizzard made WOW that I played for 3.5 years and WOW has world record reached in 2010 of 12 million active players!
+ I loath GW2 loot system so Titan already interests me. If you look at D3 and WOW loot system it is light years from casual.
Neutral:Titan is SCIFI and GW2 is fantasy. Maybe Titan will have fantasy elements, but technology level will certainly not be some medieval knights.

Titan release date? Unknown... 2015 maybe. Titan project is still pretty unknown so hard to compare more.

Edited by Stargate, 20 December 2012 - 04:13 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users