MONDAY JANUARY 14th!
Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time again!
This year the Wintersday Workshop starts a little later and lasts a lttle longer than usual, but we hope to see participation remain the same; active, creative and saturated with holiday cheer!
The goal of the Workshop
is creative and artistic growth, regardless of skill level or medium. We encourage every participant to facilitate this growth by actively posting progress of their work and giving and receiving constructive criticism on everything posted in the thread. We also strongly support and encourage each participant to submit their art to the Official Guild Wars Wintersday Contest if applicable - however this is no prerequisite to join the Workshop.
We welcome everyone.
Guild Wars 1 and 2
are both relevant this year. Your entry may be based on either or both, and the prizes are awarded in both games. If you win you can choose to accept both, or just one. Any excess goods will be split evenly amongst the other winners. As usual, donations to the prize pool from any of the two games are welcome!
Wintersday Artist Extraordinaire
Awarded an artist who participated actively in the thread, and was a candidate for the Glittering Tinsel Award and at least 1 other Workshop Award.
Winner: Frost Valkyrie
Frost was active, constructive and considered for several awards. In the end, the judges decided she deserved the top prize for her quality entries and helpful spirit.
# Svanta Claus
# Charr Cub Snuggles!
Best Progress Awards
Awarded artists who have listened to critique and made a great effort to better his/her entry, regardless of skill level or medium.
- 1st Place:
Feathermoore posted progress and listened to feedback all the way from outline to finished piece. The judges' all loved his idea and he was considered for different awards, but he was the strongest candidate for this one in particular. Beautifully executed!
# Fairytale of Ascalon
- 2nd Place:
Kiya's frequent updates on the Chess Board project served as both a way for her to improve her craft, and for others to get into the hobby. We've greatly enjoyed following this project!
- 3rd Place:
Frost frequently posted progress and listened intently to critique and arrived at a very well executed piece of art.
# Svanta Claus
Awarded an artist chosen by the people. Anyone may vote for any artist participating in the Workshop - there is no particular criteria other than do not vote for yourself. Anyone who participates in the voting automatically enters a raffle for bonus prizes!
Anyone who has posted in this thread before the closing date (14th) may vote. Please PM Tzu with your vote before Monday 21st January 2013.
Winner: Kiya Koreena
While it was a very close run, Kiya won the majority of the votes.
Awarded an artist who's piece bowed in the favour of Grenth, for a spookier and cheekier Wintersday.
Cheeky, funny and original, this entry would greatly please Grenth and his minions. The judges thought this was a thorough piece of art saturated with detail and humour.
Toymaker Tixx's Award
Awarded an artist who's piece would bring a spiky grin to Tixx's face, a piece with a warm, traditional Wintersday atmosphere.
Winner: Kiya Koreena (Chess Set)
Cute, playful and beautifully crafted, the judges decided this entry would be Tixx' favourite. It's clear that a great deal of effort has been put into this piece, and while it's not traditionally Wintersday in the common sense, this is a gift any child would be excited to unwrap come that special season.
Awarded an artist who's piece is brimming with Guild Wars nostalgia. It may be related to GW1 or GW2, or maybe even both, as long as it inspires fond memories of past events, places or people in the Guild Wars universe.
Winner: CKABEH 3PEBOB
The old gods celebrating Wintersday GW1 style was a festive blast from the past! This was a detailed and expertly painted artwork which was immediately nostalgic. The portrait of Colin from GW2's manifesto also ties it to the future of the GW universe.
#Happy Wintersday to all!
Glittering Tinsel Award
Awarded an individual who provided quality constructive criticism to the Workshop artists, and generally kept their spirits lifted and inspired throughout. This individual was not necessarily an artist himself/herself, but the most helpful poster ITT.
Helpful and constructive, Tommy offered quality advice to those who requested it, even if he couldn't find time to make new entry himself.
More prizes to come!
New this Wintersday we are running a Screenshot competition parallel with the Workshop! Take a Wintersday themed Screenshot and post it in the thread to participate. You may only submit 1 screenshot to the competition and it can be cropped but not otherwise touched up in an image editing program. This means no changes to colours, contrast, brightness or otherwise.
Hailfall's originality and humour won the judges over this year. The screenshot had a clear narrative, solid composition and clear resolution.
Screenshots will be judged based on quality of composition, concept, subject(s), originality and how closely related the screenshot is to the Wintersday theme.
NB! Remove UI with crtl+shift+h and add -bmp to the end of the command line for the GW2 client to get higher quality screenshots.
As usual we appreciate any and all donations to the Workshop prize pool! We're especially looking for GW2 prizes at present, and if you wish to donate something please PM me and we will sort it out.
We can currently thank Arenanet for most of the prizes, as well as Guild Wars 2 Guru and Aero!
- Fill out the form below.
- Set up a progress gallery (optional)
- Start working and posting progress!
Progress Gallery Link:
- A progress gallery is a place where you host progress as pictures, text or both. Deviantart, Photobucket, Wordpress and the like are good hosts. This is optional, but highly encouraged! You don't have to provide a gallery right away, you can post it whenever you're ready.
- The precise deadline for the Workshop is Jan 6th, Noon PST.
- Entries must be your original work, and not posted or entered into a previous Workshop or official Wintersday contest.
- You may submit up to 2 entries, and enter the Screenshot competition in addition to these.
- You may only win 1 prize.
- Winners are announced 1-2 weeks after the Workshop deadline.
If you wish to judge, please PM me. Anyone is welcome to judge, regardless of artistic background. You just need to be available around Jan 6th - Jan 13th and able to give a well-reasoned explanation for your nominations. You may judge and participate in the Workshop, simply name the Awards you wish to judge entries for and you will be eligible for all Awards other than the one(s) you judge. You may be anonymous. Judges so far:
Tzu - all entries
Aero - all entries
Jenn - all entries
Verbal Processing - all entries except literary works
Anonymous - all entries
Anonymous - all entries except literary works
- Frost Kisses: Concept forthcoming [Digital Art] Progress: http://psychokitteh....allery/41069514
- Frost Kisses: Charr cub snuggling her plush griffon [Digital Art] http://psychokitteh....t.com/#/d5r6iup
- EliteZeon: Concept forthcoming [Digital Art] Progress: http://elitezeon.deviantart.com/
- Konig Des Todes: Katherine Zoltin's Wintersday struggle [Literature & Cover Art] Progress: forthcoming
- trishietehfishie: Grenth & Dwayna [Digital Art] Progress: http://raidiance.dev...?catpath=scraps
- Wanna go to heaven: Concept forthcoming [Handcrafted] Progress: http://wannagotoheaven.deviantart.com/ or http://studio1two.blogspot.be/
- Minami Kaori: Wintersday Decorating [Polymer Clay] Progress: http://liviazita.dev...allery/41037797
- Ilthuain: Gift of the Mesmer & A Charleen Brown Wintersday [Performing Arts] Progress: http://harlotsandharlequins.enjin.com/
- KiyaKoreena: Wintersday themed Quaggan babies chessboard [Polymer Clay] Progress: http://www.kirins.net/wd2012/
- KiyaKoreena:Calendar piece http://th02.devianta...ena-d5neez2.jpg
- Feathermoore: Fairytale of Ascalon [Charcoal] Progress: http://feathermoore.deviantart.com/
- Raccoon_Valentine: Cute Christmas [Watercolour] Progress: http://s1356.beta.ph...ocharr.jpg.html
- Gumboots: Return of Dwayna [Digital Art] Progress: http://imgur.com/a/BbyGc
- CKABEH 3EPOB: Happy Wintersday! [Digital Art] Progress: http://skavenzverov....=33746#/d5nkv1v
- Sarys: The Winter's Call [Music] Progress: https://soundcloud.com/lzn02
- Morag D: Calendar piece : http://i50.tinypic.com/10mlyfs.jpg
- Tommy: Calendar piece : http://fc07.devianta...nen-d5ook2r.jpg
- Demon0023: The Last Champion of Orr [Digital Art] Progress: http://theeasydigita...allery/41150840
- Doctor Overlord: Lyssa Finds A Replacement [Digital Art] Progress: http://img713.images...eplacementw.jpg
- Thork: T'was the week before Winter's Day[video] Final Entry: http://www.guildwars...20#entry2129787
- Whimzic: Nightmare before Winter's Day[Digital] Progress: http://whimzic.devia...allery/41440218
- Cirkle: Clear Sky on Tyria[Digital] Progress: https://soundcloud.c...ar-sky-on-tyria
This post is a work in progress!
Special thanks to Kiya Koreena for the GW2 font!
Edited by Aero, 28 January 2013 - 09:59 PM.