• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terios

Terios

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hey guys. I'm having a hard time learning game sense for GW2. I'm not a completely horrible player, I do pretty well. R33 I can hold my own for the most part, have on paid tournament weapons and gear. But I realize I will never be able to truly excel unless I can learn to understand and gain some game sense. What would be the best way to learn this kind of thing?

In my experience:

I only really play one class. GW2 I picked being a Mesmer I love spell sword type classes. and I have no real desire to main many others maybe 2 others but don't really want to unless I HAVE to. (and although leveling is easy I find it boring after going through most of the content once already.)

However I've always played one class and found a way to excel. Now realizing this is a more skill related game than others I find myself in a situation where I get stuck. Last game I played where I would use skill and an understanding of game sense was "Ragnarok Online Pre-renewal". Main High Wizard could 1v1 almost any class and build <- now some people may say that's a little silly for being an old school Korean MMO competing with runescape. But for the most part I was able to find counters to almost every incoming skill. (even if I had to hunt for it) Even though it had a certain level of gear before skill was even a factor.

Realizing my situation I analyzed how I learned my game sense in the past. most of the skills in Ragnarok Online stated the name of the skill above their heads before casting, allowing me to learn and react even versus relatively instant cast skills. (excluding certain specifics situations)

[and to anyone who played Ragnarok online, I was not a pot spammer and would enjoy 1v1 duels without the active use of consumable items unless a skill consumed it automatically.]

Then I compared it to other games like LoL which I didn't stay with since I feel the game is designed to make you hate your fellow man, more than one may already. I learned my lane for my classes. Only had 4 skills to worry from my foes, Much like GW2. (aside from utilities,) And could learn how to fight and win my lane.

Now GW2 is a little different for me and I would like a little bit of help.

With so many potentially viable builds and weapons for the classes, I get a little lost in the crowed. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for sometimes, and in fact find it hard to even see or notice the animations. As opposed to both Ragnarok or LoL which were birds eye view games and Ragnarok would even tell me what is coming.

So far I can see common things, for example like: 100b warriors. Doge the charges -> avoid 100b -> if it hits go invulnerable or daze then -> go for the kill/adapt to whatever his off set is. (I understand this isn't every situation but for the most part pretty standard, for more than half the people this works.)

(TL;DR?) So in conclusion I'm on here asking for some tips:

What are the really important things to evade for each Class and/or Weapon? Or a general method of looking at the skills tool tip on the wiki and seeing what matters most to evade?

What is the best way to deal with the 3rd person view camera? (WTB radar like a shooter lol jk)

How do you get combos off so fast without canceling other skills half way through?

In addition Mesmer tips for securing a shatter would also be appreciated.

#2 lollasaurus

lollasaurus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

The only 100% way to get better is just to play more, find a viable build, watch a few youtube videos of people playing; commentating on their builds and how to play them...and attempt to imitiate them...once you get comfortable with the game your going to want to experiment with things on your own and try out your own combinations of builds and other characters.

#3 Happiness Factory

Happiness Factory

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RVRY]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Honestly, I think the best way to improve on one's game sense is to watch other people who have more experience play the same class on streams or on  youtube videos. Copy their build and try to do the exact same job they are doing with their team. That'll give you the basics.

But to even improve upon that, it's also important to take a look back if you have any recordings of yourself or have some discussion with teammates on your actions and how impactful they were. For example, as a mesmer you'll probably portal defending close point a lot and you can probably feel the consequences of leaving your point open. Every action leads to a consequence and it's to your teams interest that it's a good consequence.

However, the #1 best way to improve is to simply play more, and play hard. You wont improve very much by smashing people in hotjoins. So do tournaments as much as you can, combo with your teammates, understand what benefits you can provide in situations. Also dueling, as much as this game is not designed at all to 1v1. 1v1 does improve play significantly, if you can figure out how to duel people with any standard tournament build then you will improve. (However if you end up resorting to a silly healing/toughness bunker build you will be defeating the point).

Anyways those are some tips, hope it helps! good luck!

#4 Skyro

Skyro

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I would highly suggest you simply just play the other classes so that you can get a feel for every class (to save on time just play the current popular sPvP builds/weapon sets). This will help you improve MUCH faster than just playing a single class. You will be able to pick up immediately what the other classes' build is and what they are trying to do this way. It is a much more focused way of improving rather than just grinding games over and over. You don't even need to play the other classes very long. Even just a few hours on each class makes a HUGE difference.

Classic Sun Tzu quote:
"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

#5 Skadar1

Skadar1

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

Best way to learn is to 1v1 good players and have them explain how they are defeating you or how you are beating them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users