Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostSerris, on 08 January 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

... how is making sure something doesn't get used added value?
if you meant making sure they DO get used, how do you "make sure" that happens?

It's a fake reason, don't know the english word because you're dutch: het is een drogreden.
And you didn't reply to what I added with my edit.

#32 axhed

axhed

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

i always found it amusing when flippers claimed to be offering the "service" of a stable price.

#33 Limbolein

Limbolein

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Back to topic: I tried killing bandits of the appropriate level, got a lot of bags with stolen goods (or whatever they're called), even bought some bags in the TP but didn't get a single doubloon in loot or bags. So better spend my time on gold farming to buy them from the TP or has anyone found a good way to farm silver doubloons?

#34 Mozzy

Mozzy

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

hi, I did not get a chance to see if someone posted this already in this thread, but one method of obtaining silver doubloons, however perhaps not cheaper than tp, depending on your luck, is to throw tier 1 and 2 gems into the mystic forge, you should get copper doubloons around 15% of the time, 1/3rd of those will be silver.  I cant say for sure the exact results, but give it a try and see if you have any luck.

#35 Limbolein

Limbolein

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'll give that a try, thanks!

#36 Falfyrel

Falfyrel

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[GWAM]
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

There's a pretty substantial difference in some cases between game economies and real-life economies: in real-life economies, there are always alternatives (well, usually). If someone boosts the price of (say) diamonds ludicrously high and you wanted to buy a gemstone, you could always go for rubies or sapphires instead, even if they somehow managed to set the price of diamonds ridiculously high. Or you could just go to a different store.

In Guild Wars 2, there's only one supplier period for goods (the Trading Post), and goods offer no flexibility. You can't simply go for Gold Doubloons instead of Silver if you want to make the Juggernaut, it's gotta be Silver.

The "game-economy-is-RL-economy" argument is absurd. No mere citizen could end up setting the price up by 400% or more on a specific good, across every supplier, when that good is the only one available for a job, and get away with it.

I significantly doubt whether certain people in this topic understand real economics at all.

Edited by Falfyrel, 14 January 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#37 jthamind

jthamind

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Postchullster, on 10 December 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Flipping on the TP is just one set of players screwing another out of in game cash. I'm surprised it's even allowed.

this. i have no respect whatsoever for people who do this. it's pathetic.

#38 foofad

foofad

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

It's not pathetic. You're performing a service. They want money for their goods now, and you are giving it to them. It's only fair that you list your property for whatever value you think it's worth.

#39 Falfyrel

Falfyrel

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWAM]
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

View Postfoofad, on 15 January 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

It's not pathetic. You're performing a service. They want money for their goods now, and you are giving it to them. It's only fair that you list your property for whatever value you think it's worth.

First of all, going to assume you meant "goods for their money now."

Second of all: performing a service? Unless that service is "price fixing," which by the way is illegal in most capitalist countries with any government oversight (read: all of them), then all you're doing is artificially raising prices for your own gain.

People putting goods onto the Trading Post in exchange for money isn't the problem - the problem is when someone buys up all of that good, and then puts it back up for 3-4x the price. If supply is limited enough and the material isn't easily farmable (like Silver Doubloons are), and there's a niche use for them (like Silver Doubloons), then players are required to pay disproportionate amounts of gold or spend ages farming for the materials, which would be pointless since it'd be quicker to farm for the money to shell out anyways. It's what happens when you concentrate ALL of the player market into a single, manipulatable area like the Trading Post, and also remove the ability for individual transactions to be made.

These sort of issues are invariably what result when you try to create a "purely" capitalistic system with no government oversight. These issues are also the reason that no purely capitalistic system exists on Earth.

If this is now the standard of "fair" then I really don't want to see what constitutes fraud to you.

Edited by Falfyrel, 15 January 2013 - 05:08 AM.

#40 foofad

foofad

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Oh, to me "flipping" means setting buy orders and then when people fill them, selling them at market value, which is what I was referring to in my response to jthamind.

I also don't have any problem with what you're suggesting. There are no rules against doing what you're describing. If there were, and we were talking about things like food, appliances, building materials, and other real-world items with real-world consequences, it would be cause for alarm. But this is a game, with a fake economy, and the rules are set by the developers, and the developers allow exactly this sort of thing to happen. If they believe that it's an issue, they'll implement countermeasures to prevent it from happening, and everyone will move on with their lives.

But until they do, these people are playing the game and making a ton of money and no amount of bellyaching will change the fact that they have capital and can fix prices on entire stocks of items.

Short version: It's not a problem until the developers say it isn't intentional gameplay. Until they do, all cheese is fair.

#41 Daenerys

Daenerys

Secretly Christopher Walken

• Moderators
  • 484 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Locking this thread as it's gone from a potentially constructive conversation to mudslinging and insults.

Questions? Comments? Conversation? Drop me a message!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users