A Call for Sorrow's Furnace Organization
Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:45 PM
In spite of the lack of WvW dedication our server has, I want our server to have an active WvW community, even if the enemy team takes an early lead--our server only seems to WvW for the first day of a new match-up -or- if we are winning.
This thread is a call to fellow commanders and players utilize what we have to the best of our abilities, I need Commanders to coordinate with me so when we do go on the battlefield, we're working together, and not all going after separate goals with no ultimate strategy in mind. Let's coordinate off the battlefield now, so that our efforts on the field are that much stronger.
While I realize that advertising our weaknesses to the other servers is a disadvantage, perhaps the stronger servers outside of our tier can help make suggestions as to how we can improve in these aspects. Thus far I have identified our major weaknesses as:
1) Lack of coordination: When we have commanders on the field they all seem to work independently and for their own personal goals with no greater task in mind. Working independently is fine as long as we are effectively utilizing our forces.
2) Lack of ambition: Most players are just going to WvW to get their monthly kills.
3) Lack of strategy: Showing up in WvW and making up the entire strategy 'on the fly' (while important in tactical battles) is a subpar approach. We need to coordinate our efforts on Teamspeak or Vent with an agenda in mind as opposed to just finding a zerg to get kills.
4) Dead times: Our server does not have many euro or asian players so we lack the ability to defend consistently--at our tier, though, this is the least of our problems.
5) Defending what we take: It has been an ever-present problem since release--our server rarely defends what we own. While I have seen some efforts to mitigate this, we can't even keep our main keep in EB to access the jumping puzzle.
6) Lack of communication: There is no server communication or TS or Vent for the server. I think most guilds aren't even using it. I have a 25-man paid vent server we can use to organize commanders and maybe 1-2 ninja groups.
While I have outlined some fundamental weaknesses that doesn't mean it's hopeless for our server--we have some strengths:
1) Large numbers: Sorrow's Furnace is still a thriving server full of hardcore PvE players--top gear all around and very active players.
2) Strong commanders: I have seen some very good commanders on the battlefield attempting to organize. While consistency is an issue I feel that they are doing the best they can under the given circumstances--if we utilize what we have more efficiently we can really do some damage.
3) Strong players: We have a lot of players in WvW actually looking for groups and leadership, but with the lack of activity those ambitions are wasted and then if we do get anything going it turns into weak zerg that gets out-maneuvered, out-numbered and out-played.
So what can we do from here?
1) Let's organize leaders into coordinating a powerful Strategy and create tactics--let's start with Voice chat and then work on map layouts and organizing times to play and defend.
2) Start up a forum where people can create Ninja groups and larger ones.
3) Create a schedule where guilds and players pledge to be active during those times.
4) Create a server-wide vent or TS server
Let's turn this around. We can move from T6 (rank 16) if we can coordinate our efforts. You may disagree with what I mentioned as strengths and weaknesses or you may disagree with my strategy when we talk but we can come up with a server-wide strategy if we communicate. I have been looking for commanders and players in-game and I am now advertising in here so that not only can forum-going players see this, other servers can assist us and give us advice on how we can improve as a server.
I have a strong base of players that would be willing to create a Sorrow's Furnace Army--I have a 400 man guild that loves to play and is decked out in strong gear. Most of us are on East Coast time and have classes or work during the day but we can dedicate a lot of man-power and effort. I mentioned that I have a paid vent server completely dedicated to WvW organization.
Where are the other dedicated Sorrow's Furnace players? Please message me, email me, post in this thread or do SOMETHING. Let's organize together and take our rank 16 server and move it up to T1.
This is a call to battle and while we may be weak now, we have the Commanders, players and ambition to rank up as a server.
To all other servers who wish to assist: we welcome your advice and suggestions on how to improve as a server in WvW.
To all commanders and players in Sorrow's Furnace, please contact me in-game or any way possible. I dedicate a LOT of time to this game and will do whatever I can realistically do to help our server improve in the ranks.
You can message me here as well.
Two of a kind, we are, contrivers, both. Of all the men alive you are the best in plots and story telling. My own fame is for wisdom among the gods - deceptions too. Would even you have guessed that I am Pallas Athena, daughter of Zeus, I that am always with you in times of trial, a shield to you in battle" (Odyssey 240).
Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:24 AM
Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:12 AM
This week will be absolutely perfect to bring everyone back on form, Anvil Rock are very tenacious so will fit the matchup much better than HoD (who have some great players, but unfortunately weak coverage at the moment). I look forward to some fantastic battles, and fingers crossed for great coverage on all three servers!
Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:51 AM
Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:44 AM
As an Oceanic I certainly hear you about the dead times, any ground made during the evening is swiftly lost by being overwhelmingly out numbered (I'm jelly of your night crew BP). I understand that small groups can make a difference, but with the numbers I'm talking about all we can really do is wait for the masses to move on and hope that they would actually like us to re-cap so they're not just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.
There actually is a server wide commander voice chat server that does get used, iirc it's only been set up in the past two weeks or so. I'll mail you in game the name of someone you should talk to.
As for Octavian's question, off the top of my head I know that [KING], [UhOh] and [SANC] (which I recently became a part of) are big into WvWvW. I can think of two other tags I see in large numbers in WvW but can't for the life of me recall them at this point, but they do exist so don't give up ;-) I'll edit this post if I see them again.
Once again great post, I hope we can get the ball rolling as I love WvW and I really like the people of SF so I don't want to transfer.
If you need any help with the movement from a soldier, you can contact me on my main "Fullmetal Atticus" or "Atarcus" would be easier =)
Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:38 PM
I would definitely be interested in trying to coordinate with a commander or other guilds on the server.
My guild is just really starting to get into WvW more and it would be great to get something done with other people on our server, other than just following the zerg.
I think one of the most enjoyable moments i had in WvW so far was when my guild noticed the inner gate being repaired in Dreadfall Bay, and coordinating a group of guildies to go intercept the inbound supply caravan and retake the surrounding supply camps.
Coordinating that type of thing on a larger scale would be great!
If anyone wants to reach out to start working togher, my account name is Voradors.5381. I will also keep an eye out for Atarcus.
Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 AM
1. Not enough numbers to populate all maps.
2. Large spanish speaking community (myself included): hard to communicate, racism, etc.
3. PvE focused server
4. No night guilds
We need to recruit some people to cover all time zones and rally more pve people into WvW. We need spanish/english speaking commanders to coordinate both communities.
Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:47 AM
I look forward to when you guys do get organized it will make wuv wuv more luv luv
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users