7 replies to this topic

#1 Konataismine

Konataismine

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hello all! With X-Mas just around the corner I've found myself in line for a nice little amount of money, and am wanting to upgrade either my CPU or GPU? I've noticed my system is lagging a bit in games such as Skyrim when I turn on some mods, as well as Battlefield 3 and Shogun 2. Here's my current set-up:
Mother Board: MSI P67A-G45
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
CPU: Intel i5-2400 3.4GHz
6144mb RAM
Windows 7 32 bit

Thanks! ^^

EDIT: I guess I should state what games I'm looking to play; Far Cry 3 (Ultra or Very High), Battlefield 3 (Ultra), Guild Wars 2 (Ultra), Planetside 2 (Ultra), and maybe some Crysis 3 (I'd like to hit at least Very High)

Edited by Konataismine, 09 December 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#2 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

How do you get 6GB of ram with a motherboard that takes dual channel memory  and with a 32 bit operating system.,

#3 Konataismine

Konataismine

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 09 December 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

How do you get 6GB of ram with a motherboard that takes dual channel memory  and with a 32 bit operating system.,
I'm sorry? I just have 6 GB of RAM. >.< I don't understand.

#4 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1802 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostKonataismine, on 09 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I'm sorry? I just have 6 GB of RAM. >.< I don't understand.

DDR3 usually comes in modules of 2, 4, 8 or 16 GB and (at least with a Core i5) are meant to be arranged in identical pairs, so normally you'd end up with a multiple of 4. Having 6 GB installed implies you are using a mismatched pair, which disables the dual-channel feature and cuts your memory bandwidth in half. 3/6/9 GB was common with (some) first-generation Core i7's, because they addressed triple channel RAM.

Edit: Whoops, didn't even think of that, thanks Quaker.

Besides, 32-bit Windows has a practical limitation of ~3.4 GB or so, even if you have more installed it the OS shouldn't even see it.

Edited by typographie, 09 December 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3243 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

6Gigs of RAM in dual channel can be gotten with 2x2Gig plus 2x1Gig RAM - not that unusual. :) (Although you don't see 1 Gig DDR3 sticks any more.) If it's 3x2Gig, you might as well just remove one because 32-bit Windows can't use it anyway.
32-bit Windows can only access 4Gig, so the extra (2x1Gigs or w/e) are wasted. You could upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 (using the same CD key) to get access to the full 6Gig.

As far as upgrades are concerned, your best bet would be to upgrade to a GTX-660 Ti or HD7870, or better, video card.

Edited by Quaker, 09 December 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Konataismine

Konataismine

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ahh, thanks so much all. I knew that a 32-bit OS used less RAM, but I didn't know it was that drastic! Luckily I've got a friend that can get me a 62-Bit relatively cheaply, so I'll likely be going with the 660ti! ^^ Thanks all!

#7 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1802 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostKonataismine, on 09 December 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

Ahh, thanks so much all. I knew that a 32-bit OS used less RAM, but I didn't know it was that drastic! Luckily I've got a friend that can get me a 62-Bit relatively cheaply, so I'll likely be going with the 660ti! ^^ Thanks all!

If I understand correctly, you shouldn't need to buy a new copy. If you can just get the 64-bit copy of Windows installed, you should be able to activate it using your current Windows key (provided its the same version, i.e. Home Premium). Maybe your friend would be willing to loan you a disc for it?

#8 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3243 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

As Typographie says above, and I said in my last post, you don't need to buy 64-bit Windows 7. You just need to install the same version of Windows (Home Premium OEM, for example) and use the same Windows Key that should be on a sticker on your machine.
If you don't know your Windows key, there are small (free) apps you can find on the web which will recover the key from your Windows installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users