• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Darks Legacy

Darks Legacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just played yesterday and it was fine. Today everytime I pan my camera down, i can see through maps. Also there is alot of flickering due to this. Anyone know what might have caused this?

Attached Files

Edited by Darks Legacy, 09 December 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#2 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostDarks Legacy, on 09 December 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Just played yesterday and it was fine. Today everytime I pan my camera down, i can see through maps. Also there is alot of flickering due to this. Anyone know what might have caused this?

Give us more info!
1. What graphics card do you have?
2. Temperatures?
3. Drivers?
4. How old is your computer?

Do the following (I'm assuming you're on Windows):
Windows key + R (run window pops up)
Type in "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks)
Click the button "Save all information".
Attach this log file a new post or your original post. (this will tell us everything about your graphics drivers and graphics card)

For temperatures, there are many applications out there that does the job. I'm using SpeedFan, which is OK. Take a picture of the speedfan window and attach that picture to your original post or a new post.

To exclude this being an issue with the GW2 installation, create a shortcut to gw2.exe and add the -repair parameter to the target. (Ex: Target: "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\gw2.exe" -repair )

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 09 December 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3243 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Off-hand I'd say you need to repair you GW2 installation, or your graphics card is going bad.

Does it do this sort of thing in other games as well?

#4 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

My GW2 does this as well.  Both of my cards are in 100% working condition, drivers are 100% stable, my system falls to within a .03% voltage and amperage variance (which dare I say is impressive yes?)  

My GW2 has been redownloaded 4x.  

It's the stupid client... gee what's new.  Something with transparency.  I've lost total faith in ANET to fix anything these days.

Oh right, just so we're clear;  

Did this on my old Win7 Pro x64 install under 301.xx and 306.xx as well as a development drivers.  

Is doing this on my freshly installed Win8 Pro x64 install running 310.70

Tried under TriSLi, dual SLi and single SLi rotating each card to be the individual card.  

Tried GW2 installed from my Revodrive, my 3TB Seagate 14 series and my 1TB Samsung F3 (didn't bother with any other drives...)

All motherboard drivers were updated, my BIOS was fully updated, was running both stock and custom vBIOS es (THAT I PROGRAMMED MYSELF LINE BY LINE) for my 580s.  

So yeah, it's the stupid client.  And quite personally, I'm sick of ripping apart my rig everytime a new issue starts up because people refuse to believe that just because an issue isn't happening on their particular rig that it can't possibly be the shit client that ANET actually somehow passes through QA as even remotely passable.  My inner programmer (which is unskilled as it is) wants to strangle them.

#5 Darks Legacy

Darks Legacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Haha. I hear that people are saying its the client itself too. This is a new laptop, just came in 5 months ago so no the graphics card isn' going out. Other games work fine. Its just when im climbing hills or any terrain some of the terrain begins to become trasnparaent. Repairing my game now.

View PostMr.Kotte, on 09 December 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Give us more info!
1. What graphics card do you have?
2. Temperatures?
3. Drivers?
4. How old is your computer?

Do the following (I'm assuming you're on Windows):
Windows key + R (run window pops up)
Type in "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks)
Click the button "Save all information".
Attach this log file a new post or your original post. (this will tell us everything about your graphics drivers and graphics card)

For temperatures, there are many applications out there that does the job. I'm using SpeedFan, which is OK. Take a picture of the speedfan window and attach that picture to your original post or a new post.

To exclude this being an issue with the GW2 installation, create a shortcut to gw2.exe and add the -repair parameter to the target. (Ex: Target: "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\gw2.exe" -repair )

Graphics card is a gtx660m in my laptop
5 month olds
drivers is 306.97 nvidia drivers
temperatures around 70 celsius when im playing games

Other games work fine.

Attached Files

Edited by Darks Legacy, 11 December 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#6 Darks Legacy

Darks Legacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Just repaired my installation and nothing. If its supposedly the client, how long will it be until its fixed?

Update: It appears the issue is happening in wayfarer and rata sum.

Attached Files

Edited by Darks Legacy, 11 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#7 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostDarks Legacy, on 11 December 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Just repaired my installation and nothing. If its supposedly the client, how long will it be until its fixed?

Update: It appears the issue is happening in wayfarer and rata sum.
Only Wayfarer and Rata Sum and the -repair didn't fix it? This is indeed getting weird.

Try to completely purge your GPU driver. From the DxDiag textfile I can see that you're running win7 which after a reboot, should detect your GPU and install drivers it sees fit for it. These are the 306.97 drivers but from a microsoft server. It shouldn't be this tho, since other games are running fine.

In your GW2 installation directory, what files do you have? You can safely remove all file EXCEPT Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat. Do not remove either of these. Are you sure you did the repair command properly? Did the launcher check all files? Are you running SweetFX or any other third party applications along with GW2?

EDIT: If you have Vertical Sync on in GW2, turn it off.

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 11 December 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#8 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Maybe a bug with ambient occlusion activated?

Go to nvidia control panel and dissable Ambient occlusion from “Manage 3D settings”

Using a gtx 670 with 306.97 drivers no issues.

https://forum-en.gui...arent-landscape

Edited by Eon Lilu, 11 December 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#9 Darks Legacy

Darks Legacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostMr.Kotte, on 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Only Wayfarer and Rata Sum and the -repair didn't fix it? This is indeed getting weird.

Try to completely purge your GPU driver. From the DxDiag textfile I can see that you're running win7 which after a reboot, should detect your GPU and install drivers it sees fit for it. These are the 306.97 drivers but from a microsoft server. It shouldn't be this tho, since other games are running fine.

In your GW2 installation directory, what files do you have? You can safely remove all file EXCEPT Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat. Do not remove either of these. Are you sure you did the repair command properly? Did the launcher check all files? Are you running SweetFX or any other third party applications along with GW2?

EDIT: If you have Vertical Sync on in GW2, turn it off.

In directory, other than the two files you listed I just have crash.dmp and Gw2.tmp

In regards to the repair i did run it properly and it checked about 222,000 files. In regards to any other third person applications I do use gamebooster but I've been running that since the launch of the game and have never experienced those bug issues. I'll most likely try EoN's suggestion and report if it makes a difference

#10 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostDarks Legacy, on 12 December 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

In directory, other than the two files you listed I just have crash.dmp and Gw2.tmp

In regards to the repair i did run it properly and it checked about 222,000 files. In regards to any other third person applications I do use gamebooster but I've been running that since the launch of the game and have never experienced those bug issues. I'll most likely try EoN's suggestion and report if it makes a difference
Ah. You can safely remove both crash.dmp and Gw2.tmp, but Eon does make a great point. Ambient occlusion has been reported to interfere negativly with GW2 previously, granted not like this but there has been issues. Try resetting graphics settings or maybe try the new beta drivers which supposedly have solved this issue.
Since I'm also running an Nvidia card, I'm very interested in hearing how this works out. Let us know either way!

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 12 December 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#11 Darks Legacy

Darks Legacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostMr.Kotte, on 12 December 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Ah. You can safely remove both crash.dmp and Gw2.tmp, but Eon does make a great point. Ambient occlusion has been reported to interfere negativly with GW2 previously, granted not like this but there has been issues. Try resetting graphics settings or maybe try the new beta drivers which supposedly have solved this issue.
Since I'm also running an Nvidia card, I'm very interested in hearing how this works out. Let us know either way!

EDIT: Spelling.

He was dead on. It was the ambient occlusion. I tested it out on the two areas that bugged out for me and there is no transparency.  Cheers.

#12 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostDarks Legacy, on 13 December 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

He was dead on. It was the ambient occlusion. I tested it out on the two areas that bugged out for me and there is no transparency.  Cheers.

Your welcome :P Yeah iv heard the issue like 100 times before so when you described your problem it made sense to be the issue.

Alot of players were raging about these graphical bugs but it's as simple as turning off ambient occlusion in nvidia control panel, I guess gw2 does not support it.

Edited by Eon Lilu, 13 December 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#13 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostEon Lilu, on 13 December 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Your welcome :P Yeah iv heard the issue like 100 times before so when you described your problem it made sense to be the issue.

Alot of players were raging about these graphical bugs but it's as simple as turning off ambient occlusion in nvidia control panel, I guess gw2 does not support it.

In the 310 drivers, it does.  It's just that the GW2 clients occlusion system sucks...

#14 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostLord Sojar, on 17 December 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

In the 310 drivers, it does.  It's just that the GW2 clients occlusion system sucks...

Well if anyone has this issue just turn off ambient occlusion in nvidia control panel and problem solved. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users