• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BlasBlas

BlasBlas

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Is this useful website down =)?  I've had problems getting on last night and this morning.

#2 Prezz

Prezz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostBlasBlas, on 11 December 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Is this useful website down =)?  I've had problems getting on last night and this morning.

Same for me - Just got back on now - no trending data though however

#3 dondarrion

dondarrion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[EXT]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

If spidy goes down, you can always resort to this one too http://www.guildwarstrade.com/

#4 KaratePet

KaratePet

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Website currently unavailable.

Oh noes!

#5 gewd

gewd

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

View Postdondarrion, on 12 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

If spidy goes down, you can always resort to this one too http://www.guildwarstrade.com/

Just curious but why would you not use it as your primary?

#6 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2084 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[HEAT]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Thank you for telling me this. I loved the GW2 Spidy! I was useful and nicely layed out. I wonder happened to them. =/

#7 Corvindi

Corvindi

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1290 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

Yeah, it sucks.  Too many players trying to access it during certain times?  

Or we could celebrate a certain conspiracy-oriented game's transition to buy to play by assuming a vicious cartel of Guild Wars 2 traders is bringing it down at key hours of the day in order to better control the market.

I like theory #2, but the reality is probably more boring.

Edited by Corvindi, 13 December 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#8 dondarrion

dondarrion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[EXT]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View Postgewd, on 13 December 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Just curious but why would you not use it as your primary?

I do myself and can recommend others the same, but since the thread was about Spidy, I didn't want to hi-jack in case the website creator was here ;)

#9 Corvindi

Corvindi

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1290 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I find Spidy much easier and faster to use than the other one.

Anyway, they posted this today:

Downtime two nights in a row, sad panda :-(
The downtime is caused by the server crashing down completely to the point where it needs a full restart to start working again.
It's never easy to investigate this kind of problems, but it seems to be related to the server having a really hard time keeping up with the usage.

I've improved some things (server configuration, script optimizations and some monitoring setup) to prevent problems or better find out what's going on.

The biggest chunk (like 90% or more) of the load on the server is caused by the API ( I never imagined this would become such an success xD ) and the past few days even more because somebody was doing requests for all the item listings at an insane rate.
I talked to that person and he changed his script to be less heavy and also improved the performance of the listings API.

I'll be closely monitoring the server tonight, hopefully the problems are already fixed and otherwise I can promise you I'll be right on top of it when anything goes wrong tonight!

I'll also implement something to rate limit the API access a bit to at least prevent the amount of request reaching DOS attack levels like they were now :P

Hope you can forgive me for letting it fail 2 evenings in a row and to offset this I'll ensure I get enough time this week to add a awesome new feature where you can play around with various filters to find the PERFECT list of items to sell / buy ;-)

#10 gewd

gewd

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostCorvindi, on 13 December 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

I find Spidy much easier and faster to use than the other one.

Can you please explain because I think the guildwarstrade interface is simpler and from my measurements on firebug it loads faster.

In fact the reason I made GWT in the first place was because the other trading sites were too slow. They used to take 5 seconds to load.

Edited by gewd, 14 December 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#11 Corvindi

Corvindi

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1290 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

View Postgewd, on 14 December 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Can you please explain because I think the guildwarstrade interface is simpler and from my measurements on firebug it loads faster.

In fact the reason I made GWT in the first place was because the other trading sites were too slow. They used to take 5 seconds to load.

Sure, I'll explain.  It just happened that I found the graphs and a custom watch list on the Spidy interface right away and didn't on GWT from the linked page I got, so without ever digging in and looking for those things on GWT, I just bookmarked spidy and I've used it ever since.

However, I should go back and familiarize myself with GWT as well, it's never bad to have more options, and I appreciate you and everyone else who creates tools like these for us gamers to use.  :)

Edit:  The problem I had was with my browser.  I was using Mozilla with a lot of addons and the graphs and other things simply weren't showing up.  They do show up in Google Chrome.

Edited by Corvindi, 14 December 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#12 gewd

gewd

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostCorvindi, on 14 December 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Edit:  The problem I had was with my browser.  I was using Mozilla with a lot of addons and the graphs and other things simply weren't showing up.  They do show up in Google Chrome.

Just to clarify there was nothing wrong or different with our website. He had noscript enabled for GWT.

#13 Corvindi

Corvindi

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1290 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

View Postgewd, on 16 December 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Just to clarify there was nothing wrong or different with our website. He had noscript enabled for GWT.

Yeah, I think my NoScript was the problem.  It blocks all kinds of harmless stuff needed to view pages.

I had enabled it for Spidy, but when I went on Guild Wars Trade for some reason the bar that tells me it's blocking something must not have shown up right away.  That or I suffered some temporary blindness.

Now that I've got it sorted Trade works beautifully on both Mozilla and Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users