• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Laptop strictly < 5 lbs with dedicated graphics (no price constraint!)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GPFault

GPFault

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I've been looking around since April to find a laptop with the following specs:

1. Must be strictly under 5 lbs
2. Must have dedicated graphics (640M or better)
3. Price is no object

I have very specific needs, so points #1 and #2 are unfortunately non-negotiable (I cannot use a desktop, I do not want 2 machines, etc...)

The only two I've been able to find that nail these points is the Sony Vaio S series, and the Macbook Pro Retina 15" model (running Bootcamp).

Are there any other laptops available (or coming in the next couple of months) that hit these specs?

Thanks! :)

#2 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

You could look at the Asus UX51, the sony Vaio Z may also fit the bill.

#3 GPFault

GPFault

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

View Posttijo, on 11 December 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

You could look at the Asus UX51, the sony Vaio Z may also fit the bill.
Sony Vaio Z does not (and cannot to my knowledge) have dedicated graphics.

The UX51 does look nice tho, thank you for the tip. Will do some research on it.

#4 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

Seraph Guardian

• Content Writers
  • 1272 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

You already mentioned it. Macbook pro retina 15 inch and boot camp it is your best option I think.

Edited by shanaeri rynale, 14 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#5 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Can you stretch yourself a bit and carry 5.5 lbs?  That extra 8 oz would open up allot more options for you. :)

#6 GPFault

GPFault

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

View PostElder III, on 14 December 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

Can you stretch yourself a bit and carry 5.5 lbs?  That extra 8 oz would open up allot more options for you.
Unfortunately no. :( I'd really prefer an ultrabook, but those options are even more limited - although I did find a couple with a 620M or 630M dedicated card in them.

Honestly, if the Macbook pro retina:
A. Wasn't so blurry and hard to read on Windows apps that didn't support retina [which there are a LOT of them]
B. Wasn't incapable of shutting off the dedicated gfx card in Windows via Bootcamp [therefore causing even the simplest of web browsing to chew through the battery in no time flat]

... I would probably buy it.

"A" will probably change over time as more Windows apps support retina, but "B" will never change as it was a conscious decision by Apple not to allow outside access to the drivers that are needed to do the graphics card switching from Windows.

So the search continues... The Sony S series and the Asus UX51 seem to be the best on the market for my needs.

I also found this gem: The Asus U500VZ - touchscreen!!

Check it out:

http://www.asus.com/...K_Touch_U500VZ/

That is one SLICK looking machine. I may have to wait for it. :)

#7 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Too bad you've set such strict limits.   The Razer Blade II is... unimaginably good.  

View Postshanaeri rynale, on 14 December 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

You already mentioned it. Macbook pro retina 15 inch and boot camp it is your best option I think.

It's VERY difficult to get it to work with Windows 8.  I finally did, but god was it a headache and a half and had a few bugs that I couldn't resolve.  With Windows 8, it does fully support the Retina display (it actually does it better than Apple's implementation too!)  So no blurriness.   Additionally, even the Bootcamp drivers for it and Win7 don't play that well together.  

Oh, and B will change... nVidia Optimus drivers blanket it.   The rMBP is nothing special in terms of hardware bud, remember that.  Apple can't disallow driver access except in OSX, their own OS.  Once Windows is on there and you use nVidia standardized drivers (which will be out sooner than later I guess)  it will switch just fine.  Optimus doesn't rely on any hardware, and Apple's hardware is bog standard, just well selected hardware.  

@OP yet again.  The U500VZ is absolutely an incredible machine.  You would absolutely wait for it.

#8 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Yep, that UX51 (I think that's what they call the non touch U500 now) is the closest thing to a retina MBP. It does throttle when you hit prime 95 and furmark at the same time according to the notebookcheck review, but they didn't see that kind of behavior outside of that scenario which as far as I know doesn't reflect any type of workload you could put it through while gaming or under normal usage so you shouldn't see any throttling.

Edited by tijo, 17 December 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#9 GPFault

GPFault

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostLord Sojar, on 17 December 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

@OP yet again.  The U500VZ is absolutely an incredible machine.  You would absolutely wait for it.

Yeah, I think that may have to be the one. But everything I'm reading suggests that it's not even out in Eurpoe until January, let alone US availability. Would probably have to be a valentine's day gift to myself. :P

Really didn't want to wait that long, but it's better to wait a little than to compromise! :)

#10 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

This would be a good option for you to consider - it's $750 until 12-21-2012, after that it's $1250 - so if you like it grab it while it lasts.

http://shop.lenovo.c...1A0A0#techspecs

Lenovo Y400 Coupon Code "USPY41141213"

Edited by Elder III, 19 December 2012 - 02:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users