• Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4180 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image

Today, Gaile Gray has posted ArenaNet's new account restoration process:

We’re pleased to tell you that we are launching our Account Restoration Tool (ART) today. With that tool, we will be able to restore qualifying accounts that were compromised on or after December 1, 2012.
From the FAQ
How does Support conduct a restoration? Agents will:
  • Verify that the person requesting the restoration is the original owner of the account.
  • Confirm that the request is for an account compromised after December 1, 2012.
  • Review account history to verify that the account was hacked by a third party.
  • Check account “snapshots” or saved states.
  • Research other accounts involved and take action as appropriate.
  • Restore (roll back) the account, when appropriate.
How far back do you go to restore an account? We seek a restoration date that is as close as possible to the date of a verified account compromise that took place after December 1, 2012. The account snapshot may have been saved a few hours prior to the compromise or it may date from a period substantially prior to the event.

Can you use the Account Restoration Tool to restore a specific character or item? No, the entire account will be restored to its previous state; all progress and acquisitions after that date will be lost.

Can I pick the date of my restoration? No. The agent will identify the saved state or snapshot closest to the compromise incident.

Will I get everything back? Your character, items, and wealth will be exactly as they were in the saved stage/snapshot. However, you will lose progress and items that you acquired between the time of the snapshot and the time of the compromise. For example, if you were hacked on February 10th and the most recent saved state is February 5th, the account will lose anything acquired between February 5th—the restore point—and February 10th.

How long does it take to conduct an account restoration? The process takes only a short time, but because the research and verification process is time-consuming, we ask that you allow several days for us to complete the restoration.

Is there a limit on account restorations? We offer one restoration during the lifetime of a Guild Wars 2 account. To safeguard your account, please be sure you use the best security processes, as outlined in this article.

Account Restoration Tool Quick Facts
  • The account will be reverted to its exact condition in the account snapshot. Characters, inventory, achievements, and wealth will reflect their state on the date and time of the restore point.
  • Individual characters or items cannot be restored; the ART operates on the account as a whole.
  • Account restoration does not affect any serial codes that were applied to an account. You would use the same serial code to verify your account ownership in the future.
  • Account restoration is only for an account that was compromised by an unauthorized person. We do not restore accounts impacted by scamming, erroneous gem purchases, accidental deletions, etc.
  • Shared accounts are ineligible for restoration.
  • Accounts involved in the use of a third-party program are ineligible for restoration.
  • Restorations do not impact guild banks.

#2 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3265 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

One restoration only? Couldn't they just offer additional restorations for a fee?

#3 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

[quote name='Protoss' timestamp='1355263581' post='2115086']
One restoration only? Couldn't they just offer additional restorations for a fee?
[/quote]

I think they would rather have people learn to take care of their accounts than having to investigate them every other week.

#4 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5204 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Was there some mass hacking occurence in early Dec?   I was wondering why the Dec 1st date is mentioned.

#5 Khalija

Khalija

Leaf on the Wind

• Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4180 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

[quote name='Doctor Overlord' timestamp='1355263973' post='2115105']
Was there some mass hacking occurence in early Dec?   I was wondering why the Dec 1st date is mentioned.
[/quote]

Probably the first time they started the snapshots. They can't restore any accounts earlier than that because they didn't have any of this implemented.

Feel free to PM me if you have a question regarding moderation, want to leave some feedback, or just want to chat!

#6 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Well atleast there starting to make good on what they said would be in the game before launch but was never implemented.

Hopefully the removal of free server transfers is next.

#7 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1266 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I was under the impression that this had already existed since before release, ever since they introduced that system to GW.

#8 Var

Var

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1313 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

[quote name='Eon Lilu' timestamp='1355265267' post='2115137']Well atleast there starting to make good on what they said would be in the game before launch but was never implemented.[/quote]

When did they promise this pre-release? I'm genuinely curious.

#9 Bohya

Bohya

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

One restore is good. People who don't take the nessisary precautions, [i]especially[/i] after they have already had their account compromised, don't deserve to be a part of the Guild Wars 2 community. Those people are essentially [i]feeding[/i] the existence of botters and hackers and are the reason that they exist in the first place, making the game worse for the rest of the players. ArenaNet shouldn't have to pick up the pieces each time someone decides to download that link from 4chan...

#10 Featherman

Featherman

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

It's a good thing they finally implemented this. No matter how many precautions you take there are some instances where you're still hacked anyway.

#11 Nadia Roark

Nadia Roark

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

As someone who was hacked on the 7th, I'm glad that they have done this but the FAQ is maddening. It tells you everything except how to actually do it, unless I've missed something. I'm guessing you just send in a ticket but they don't seem to have added a category for it.

#12 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

[quote name='Featherman' timestamp='1355273050' post='2115234']
It's a good thing they finally implemented this. No matter how many precautions you take there are some instances where you're still hacked anyway.
[/quote]

Not really.

I have played online-games for over 15 years, and I have NEVER been hacked during that time.

#13 Virdiana Sovari

Virdiana Sovari

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

[quote name='Lordkrall' timestamp='1355302705' post='2115488']
Not really.

I have played online-games for over 15 years, and I have NEVER been hacked during that time.
[/quote]

Maybe you haven't been hacked once, but many have been. Me for example. I got hacked twice in WoW. Hard, long password, no keyloger, no gold buying etc. I still don't know how did they get access to my account...but they did. Fortunately Blizzard support is (was?) great and they can just restore everything in a few hours (once few hours, once day or so).

Support is one thing that is really bad in Guild Wars 2. Well, ArenaNet because Guild Wars 1 has got even worse one.

#14 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

[quote name='Virdiana Sovari' timestamp='1355311588' post='2115556']
Maybe you haven't been hacked once, but many have been. Me for example. I got hacked twice in WoW. Hard, long password, no keyloger, no gold buying etc. I still don't know how did they get access to my account...but they did. Fortunately Blizzard support is (was?) great and they can just restore everything in a few hours (once few hours, once day or so).

Support is one thing that is really bad in Guild Wars 2. Well, ArenaNet because Guild Wars 1 has got even worse one.
[/quote]

But what you said was that EVERYONE gets "hacked" sooner or later, which is simply not true.
The vast majority of the players never get their accounts stolen, unless of course there is a breach of company's servers.

#15 Virdiana Sovari

Virdiana Sovari

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

[quote name='Lordkrall' timestamp='1355311715' post='2115557']
But what you said was that EVERYONE gets "hacked" sooner or later, which is simply not true.
[/quote]

Tell me more about how
[quote name='Virdiana Sovari' timestamp='1355311588' post='2115556']
many have been
[/quote]
is equal to EVERYONE.

Edited by Virdiana Sovari, 12 December 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#16 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

[quote name='Virdiana Sovari' timestamp='1355312924' post='2115566']
Tell me more about how

is equal to EVERYONE.
[/quote]

Ah, sorry, I thought you were the one I quoted the first time.

Edited by Lordkrall, 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#17 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Great news! Glad for those who plan to have their accounts hacked in the near future ;D

#18 Rashy

Rashy

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[STAR]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Considering the safety features built in (email authentication particularly), if someone did get hacked, one restore is enough. I stopped 3 login attempts a while ago because of email authentication and that's the only security I have.

#19 Tellia

Tellia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

[quote name='Lordkrall' timestamp='1355302705' post='2115488']
Not really.

[/quote]
have you ever been caught in a hurricane? im going to assume no.

does that mean its impossible for someone to be caught in one? no it doesnt.

just because YOU werent hacked in 15 years by no fault of you own does not mean OTHER people couldnt have been hacked, by no fault of their own. your own personal experience does not dictate the universe. things that havent happened to you can still happen...

#20 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

[quote name='Tellia' timestamp='1355314992' post='2115598']
have you ever been caught in a hurricane? im going to assume no.

does that mean its impossible for someone to be caught in one? no it doesnt.

just because YOU werent hacked in 15 years by no fault of you own does not mean OTHER people couldnt have been hacked, by no fault of their own. your own personal experience does not dictate the universe. things that havent happened to you can still happen...
[/quote]

I have never even implied that no one has been hacked (which would however be true), I simply stated that assuming everyone WILL get hacked at some time is completely wrong, and quite silly.

#21 Nadia Roark

Nadia Roark

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

[quote name='Lordkrall' timestamp='1355316306' post='2115607']
I have never even implied that no one has been hacked (which would however be true),[/quote]

Da faq?

[quote]I simply stated that assuming everyone WILL get hacked at some time is completely wrong, and quite silly.
[/quote]

Reading back, the word "everyone" does not appear in the post you were responding to. Featherman uses the generic "you" and states "there are [b]some instances[/b] where you're still hacked anyway," which is 100% true. I played online games for ~12 years without ever being hacked until this last Friday. I didn't really even have particularly strong passwords, I must have simply been very lucky.

Edited by Nadia Roark, 12 December 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#22 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostNadia Roark, on 12 December 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Reading back, the word "everyone" does not appear in the post you were responding to. Featherman uses the generic "you" and states "there are some instances where you're still hacked anyway," which is 100% true. I played online games for ~12 years without ever being hacked until this last Friday. I didn't really even have particularly strong passwords, I must have simply been very lucky.

Depends on how you read the you.

It could easily be read as: "Everyone will, at some point, get hacked," Which was what I responded to.

#23 Nadia Roark

Nadia Roark

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 12 December 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Depends on how you read the you.

It could easily be read as: "Everyone will, at some point, get hacked," Which was what I responded to.
True enough, I suppose. I took it as referring more to singular individuals. Some people might not ever get hacked, but it's not always because they have tremendous account security.

#24 xarallei

xarallei

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1102 posts
  • Profession:Ranger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

One restoration? I know the chances of being hacked aren't high, but that seems very lame. Anet needs to take a page from Blizzard's book when it comes to restoring accounts/items. That's one thing Blizz does right at least.

#25 Nadia Roark

Nadia Roark

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

All I know right now is that it's not quick. I've been waiting now for 48 hours, so they're not kidding when they say it can take a few days.

What really puzzled me though was the GM informed me that my account had been recently compromised.

Posted Image

#26 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

View Postxarallei, on 14 December 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

One restoration? I know the chances of being hacked aren't high, but that seems very lame. Anet needs to take a page from Blizzard's book when it comes to restoring accounts/items. That's one thing Blizz does right at least.

You mean so people can just keep getting "hacked" over and over and over and over and over and over again and never learn?

Keep in mind that every single restoration they do requires at least some manual work.

#27 Nadia Roark

Nadia Roark

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 14 December 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

You mean so people can just keep getting "hacked" over and over and over and over and over and over again and never learn?

Keep in mind that every single restoration they do requires at least some manual work.
I've worked in support before and I am fairly confident in saying that if someone tried this tactic, the GMs would be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

The manual work involved with account resets probably has more to do with research than action. The rollback itself probably doesn't take much time at all; what takes time is making sure that you are restoring an account that was 'legitimately' hacked.

#28 jacobblade700

jacobblade700

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

I keep seeing this repeated "that'll teach those unsecure kids" argument, but really?  Not buying it.  I was hacked starting 29 Nov (thanks China) through 30 Nov, the whole way being berated for have a compromised email, or an insufficiently secure password (the 'creating a secure password' graphic is nothing short of insulting).  Thing is, my email was perfectly secure.  It was never remotely accessed.

When people comment about getting hacked even if they own an authenticator, that should be a sign.  I'm glad for the Account Recovery upgrade (should have been there from launch, if history was ever a guide), but once ever?  Insipid, pure and simple.  Those of us that are hacked WITHOUT the compromised email (or login password) are going to be punished in order to 'teach a lesson' to others.  I love being stepped on to help 'mete out justice'.  That's really why I bought the game.

Suggestion: improve the security on the servers, and watch the amount of 'manual work' decrease dramatically as fewer people are hacked.  I think that would help all parties involved (except those with insecure emails.  They'll be a lot more obvious all of a sudden)

In the end, I REALLY hope ArenaNet improves the security because I'd love to get back to playing.  Until then, what's the point?  My game account's been compromised without a compromised email.  It'll happen again, and I'll only be able to correct it once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users