18 replies to this topic

#1 superior Titan

superior Titan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

hi first of all i apologize if this question has already been asked and answered.

i live in NZ in the country my average connection speed is as follows
Download Speed: 677 kbps (84.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 425 kbps (53.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

is this speed good enough to play guild wars 2 smoothly also what is a good server to connect to since i live in NZ and what ping should i expect to get?

Thanks

Edited by superior Titan, 12 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#2 Arduin

Arduin

Q&A King

• Site Contributors
  • 4284 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Download or upload speed has nothing to do with your ping.

That's as techy as I can get, so I'm going to move this thread to our Tech forum, they can help you better :)

Feeling your post got wrongfully deleted? Thread locked? Want to chat? Send me a PM. I won't bite :eek:

Be wary of expressing your opinion as fact; facts can be proven wrong.

#3 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3169 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

You should be ok for playing the game, downloading updates will be a real pain though. As for the ping, given that you'll connect to servers in the US, competitive PvP may be a problem.

#4 Virdiana Sovari

Virdiana Sovari

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Download at this speed is about 2.2-2.5 gb per hour, so it's not that much pain.
As for ping...
Go to http://www.speedtest.net/
Then run test (as a server pick some from US).
See your ping...
Tell us...

Edited by Virdiana Sovari, 12 December 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#5 superior Titan

superior Titan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Used pingtest.net and got 305 ping from NZ to Brooklyn. on another note isnt the server sea of sorrows closer to Nz as its a specified Oceania server so wouldnt that mean i would get less ping connecting to Sea of Sorrows??

#6 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postsuperior Titan, on 13 December 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Used pingtest.net and got 305 ping from NZ to Brooklyn. on another note isnt the server sea of sorrows closer to Nz as its a specified Oceania server so wouldnt that mean i would get less ping connecting to Sea of Sorrows??

I could be wrong here, but I think the US servers are all located in Washington state, so a better test would probably be to check your ping to Seattle. I think Sea of Sorrows is an "unofficial" Oceanic server more so that you know there's a high population of players from your timezone, rather than for technical reasons. The community decided that, not Anet.

Open your command prompt (type "cmd" in your Start menu search bar) and type "ping www.guildwars2.com" (no quotes). That will give you a better idea as to your latency to the game's actual servers.

Edited by typographie, 13 December 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#7 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Posttypographie, on 13 December 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

Open your command prompt (type "cmd" in your Start menu search bar) and type "ping www.guildwars2.com" (no quotes). That will give you a better idea as to your latency to the game's actual servers.
For more/better data, add the parameter -t afterwards to make it continuous. (quoting because why not :) )
ping www.guildwars2.com -t

#8 superior Titan

superior Titan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

used command prompt got on average 230ms

#9 Blackdeathteal

Blackdeathteal

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

View Posttypographie, on 13 December 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

I could be wrong here, but I think the US servers are all located in Washington state, so a better test would probably be to check your ping to Seattle. I think Sea of Sorrows is an "unofficial" Oceanic server more so that you know there's a high population of players from your timezone, rather than for technical reasons. The community decided that, not Anet.

Im Australian and dont have any issues with ping at all competitive pvp and whatever else you dont notice any delay , or as much as any other mmo wow , rift etc
Nz shouldnt be any different

Edited by Blackdeathteal, 14 December 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#10 superior Titan

superior Titan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

What server do u play on?

#11 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostBlackdeathteal, on 14 December 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Im Australian and dont have any issues with ping at all competitive pvp and whatever else you dont notice any delay , or as much as any other mmo wow , rift etc

Well, its good that your latency is acceptable to play with, but I'm not sure what you're trying to respond to within my post. :P Try pinging the server through the command prompt and see what the data is. My point was that I don't think players in Australia/NZ choose a server based on performance, because I think they're all in Seattle WA anyway.

Edited by typographie, 14 December 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#12 Killyox

Killyox

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostArduin, on 12 December 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Download or upload speed has nothing to do with your ping.

That's as techy as I can get, so I'm going to move this thread to our Tech forum, they can help you better :)

Actually it does in case of a) it being REALLY!!! slow and B) you bottlenecking upload/download bandwith

#13 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

You have the option of either connecting to EU servers (Germany I think) or North America (I believe they are in Texas).   You aren't going to get great ping from either location, but most Oceanic folk connect to the NA servers, so that is probably your best bet.

#14 superior Titan

superior Titan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostBlackdeathteal, on 14 December 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

what server do u play on?

#15 Blackdeathteal

Blackdeathteal

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Sea of sorrows
but as Typographie said all the servers are located from Seattle
was purely a decision of the unoffical oceanic hub

#16 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostBlackdeathteal, on 15 December 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

but as Typographie said all the servers are located from Seattle

Well, I'm not certain about that, Elder may be right about Texas. Anet is located in Bellevue, WA and it makes sense that they may have their US data center nearby, so that was my guess. Either way, my point was only that all US servers are located in one place, wherever it may be.

#17 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

The word back during the Beta Weekends was that the servers are in Austin (TX) and Frankfurt (DE).  I would presume they are in the same locations now... roughly centralized in the USA and the EU.  For what it's worth I have a few Guildmates that are Oceanic and they all are able to do Dungeons and other events with those of us in the USA without any real trouble.  I don't know about their ping in PvP, but I imagine it's high enough to be a minor nuisance.

#18 superior Titan

superior Titan

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

with my internet speed would it be wise to wait until all of the patches are complete and then play?

#19 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

View Postsuperior Titan, on 17 December 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

with my internet speed would it be wise to wait until all of the patches are complete and then play?
You can only play on the most recent patch. Its impossible to play before that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users