Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

I don't do fractals. Where do I go?


  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 DuskWolf

DuskWolf

    Seraph Guardian

  • Banned
  • 1876 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

So here's something constructive. Let's actually see what we can figure out, here. Just out of curiosity. Mod people, if you could be so kind as to add a poll, with each server as an option, I'd appreciate it!

If you're NOT doing Fractals, and you are doing/prefer doing non-fractal PvE content, then which server are you on? Server merges don't seem to be happening, but server transfers are a thing. It might be better for the people who're still playing to consolidate on a server. So at the very least, the dynamic events may still work rather than being horribly broken due to the lack of people.

#2 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

I am on Underworld and there are always people around the other parts of PvE, including other Dungeons.

#3 Trei

Trei

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

I am still exploring on Crystal Desert server, crafting, leveling alts and doing their personal stories, attempting to solo stuff I should not be soloing, joining dungeon runs if I happen to see LFMs around zones with one, helping friends and guildies with whatever they feel like doing, stalking strangers in the wilds, helping strangers I come across with whatever they are doing, going into WvW and battlegrounds when I feel like it...

I am not doing fractals yet.
I want to, but just have not gotten around to it.

#4 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 327 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[SoF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Most high pop servers should run plenty of non-fractal PVE dungeons. On Gandara (EU) I still see LFG for every dungeon in /m pretty much all the time. Lot of broken events still though (mainly Orr), even with a lot of players.

Edited by Swoopeh, 12 December 2012 - 08:33 AM.


#5 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3247 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I am more curious in what do people do, if they don't do fraks (or explorable dungeons). I am asking this seriously because a few of the folks I play with have taken their character to 80 and now we are looking at content that we could do together and fraks and explorables do not appeal to us, with roaming the world also being a bit dry. We want to play together, but we simply can not come up with interesting things to do.

#6 Taishar203

Taishar203

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Location:India
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have a Question! What server should I start playing on, consider that I'm having a fresh start.

From what I've seen on this forums, some people state that the game is DEAD, except maybe this Fractals thing. On the other hand, there are quite a few lauding the game population. Since I'm just getting started, I suppose there is still time till I worry about these issues. But still it would really be better for me to start on a server where people atleast do SOME of the open world events/ dungeons, right? Help me decide.

Oh and I'll be playing in the EU region, english speaking servers only~

#7 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostTaishar203, on 12 December 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I have a Question! What server should I start playing on, consider that I'm having a fresh start.

From what I've seen on this forums, some people state that the game is DEAD, except maybe this Fractals thing. On the other hand, there are quite a few lauding the game population. Since I'm just getting started, I suppose there is still time till I worry about these issues. But still it would really be better for me to start on a server where people atleast do SOME of the open world events/ dungeons, right? Help me decide.

Oh and I'll be playing in the EU region, english speaking servers only~

Any server would work really.
Don't listen to the doom and gloomers, they have stated that the game was dying even before it was released.

#8 Placebo

Placebo

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Location:France, BZH
  • Guild Tag:[PHUN]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostDuskWolf, on 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

If you're NOT doing Fractals, and you are doing/prefer doing non-fractal PvE content, then which server are you on? Server merges don't seem to be happening, but server transfers are a thing. It might be better for the people who're still playing to consolidate on a server. So at the very least, the dynamic events may still work rather than being horribly broken due to the lack of people.

I'm doing fractals (I've been level 11 since 3 weeks and then now, since I have terrible lag issues at times, I do 1 "daily" lvl10 every other day) but I don't farm a lot them because of the lag and the DC problem : if someone disconnect due to hardware or connection issues then there's one person less in your F group

unless you wanna do map exploration, material/karma/loot farming, etc... dungeons are part of the "non-fractal PvE content" and do not require to be on the same server (only EU can play with EU tho)

so most of the time I'm farming dungeons with players from my guild (some are not on my server) and from other servers (I use gw2lfg.com)
and it is true that since the fractals the game has changed so I adapt to survive ^^ I had not harvested/collected mats in Orr for 2 months and now I just enjoy raoming this area being as much opportunist as I want to be, i.e. I jump to Plinx or Grenth whenever Im pleased to do so
moreover I may highlight that DE/Karma farming is pure brainless zerging : you kill, you loot ... theres no socializing in doing so ... also, since Im mainly soloing with my guardian here if I want a group for a DE chain, I just put my LFG tag and voilà! Im invited in a matter of seconds and rarely minutes

so to the OP, ***what*** is your personal motivation to find a whole server of non fractals player ?
don't you only need 4 friends whatever their server
my advice : find a "familly" guild and create a core group of friends to play at your hours
as you PUG in dungeons or in whatever content, you will meet people, just add them to your friends list and create friendship links so they will be available when you ask for a run


View PostProtoss, on 12 December 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

I am more curious in what do people do, if they don't do fraks (or explorable dungeons). I am asking this seriously because a few of the folks I play with have taken their character to 80 and now we are looking at content that we could do together and fraks and explorables do not appeal to us, with roaming the world also being a bit dry. We want to play together, but we simply can not come up with interesting things to do.

define "interesting things to do" ^^

#9 Arquenya

Arquenya

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostSwoopeh, on 12 December 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

Most high pop servers should run plenty of non-fractal PVE dungeons. On Gandara (EU) I still see LFG for every dungeon in /m pretty much all the time. Lot of broken events still though (mainly Orr), even with a lot of players.
I also think Gandara is pretty well populated if I read some of the stories on the forum. The human starter zones are still quite busy, for instance - and if the Champion Troll spawns there's usually still a group of people killing it.

Although it's getting a bit harder to find groups for the less easy (thus popular) dungeons like AC and CoF. I'm lucky to be in a quite big, mostly PvE orentend guild so I usually run a lot of dungeons (doing Arah runs atm) and only am at fractals 5.

#10 blindude

blindude

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1142 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostProtoss, on 12 December 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

I am more curious in what do people do, if they don't do fraks (or explorable dungeons). I am asking this seriously because a few of the folks I play with have taken their character to 80 and now we are looking at content that we could do together and fraks and explorables do not appeal to us, with roaming the world also being a bit dry. We want to play together, but we simply can not come up with interesting things to do.
Let me guess you are not into pvp too!?!
You have effectively said that you dont enjoy pretty much everything the game offers so my advise would be to play something else.
There is not such a game that can satisfy all your needs and thats fine.

#11 syrin

syrin

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm on borealis pass and there always seem to be people on doing stuff. Always have groups forming for dungeons and plenty for events like dragon calls.




#12 XPhiler

XPhiler

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1826 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I am on Piken square its a unofficial roleplaying server. I play all around in all zones and always come across other people. A couple of days ago I woke up really early Like 5am and started off finishing the daily achievement and even at that time I came across several people in Queensale.

As for I do for fun, mostly I love Jumping puzzles, exploration (its a cool feeling when you discover a hidden event) and Dynamic Event chains take the bulk of my time, you need to be patient with them. If you get in the middle of a chain, I follow the npc to the start and then wait for it to start agian. Most of the time I talk to an NPC, he would explain some issue he has and thats a good indication of a dyanmic event chain. When that happens  I do content close by, farming, gathering etc.. or simply just wait there until the chain starts.

#13 Ardeni

Ardeni

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

You might want to consider this site (http://gw2lfg.com/). Finding a group for AC, for example, usually takes less than 10 minutes. Of course dungeons like Arah, CoE and HotW aren't quite as popular so it's still hard to find a group for them.

Ps. You don't have to be on the same server to do a dungeon with another player.

#14 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

that gw2lfg.com site is good for running explorable dungeons other than fractals, but if that doesn't appeal to you your only real option is just map exploration or WvW.  get a group together, clear a few zones 100% (all hearts and whatnot), move on down the line.

for me personally, on Fort Aspenwood I can always find a group for AC, CoF, or TA, and can usually find a group for CM, CoE, Arah Bag Farm, or HotW.  SE and regular Arah explorable are harder to come by.  My guild runs AC and CoF so much though that I'm starting to get burned out from them and trying to find new content, so I've been trying to get a group together to go clear a zone or 2 every night to keep it fresh.  Finding all the mini dungeons and jumping puzzles as you come across them is also a nice change of pace from trying to blow through all 3 paths of AC in under an hour.

#15 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Daily, monthly wvw if needed till done, and logoff when fractals are done. But ye, if in the mood, jumping puzzles, dragons, maybe a dungeon why not. Grow my mats numbers. Until i'm enough bored.

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 12 December 2012 - 12:08 PM.


#16 Coren

Coren

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Location:In my lab BOOKAH
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[DRK]

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yeah I'm bored of.fractals, stopped.after.level.5. Gandara (EU) does everything, not just fractals.

#17 Heart Collector

Heart Collector

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 932 posts
  • Location:Athens, Greece

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostXPhiler, on 12 December 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

I am on Piken square its a unofficial roleplaying server. I play all around in all zones and always come across other people. A couple of days ago I woke up really early Like 5am and started off finishing the daily achievement and even at that time I came across several people in Queensale.

As for I do for fun, mostly I love Jumping puzzles, exploration (its a cool feeling when you discover a hidden event) and Dynamic Event chains take the bulk of my time, you need to be patient with them. If you get in the middle of a chain, I follow the npc to the start and then wait for it to start agian. Most of the time I talk to an NPC, he would explain some issue he has and thats a good indication of a dyanmic event chain. When that happens  I do content close by, farming, gathering etc.. or simply just wait there until the chain starts.

Same here, on Piken Square there seems to be a good amount of activity. Well, less in mid level zones as most people seem to be in early zones and Orr - but one can still find people to do stuff even then most of the time.

#18 Leokadia

Leokadia

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

That gw2lfg site has done wonders for me.  I just look for a dungeon LFM posted recently, log in, and join it.  I'm usually in a dungeon explorable within 10 minutes of logging in.  Between explorables, fractals, and WvW I have more to do than I have play time available for. :)

#19 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2916 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostDuskWolf, on 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

So here's something constructive. Let's actually see what we can figure out, here. Just out of curiosity. Mod people, if you could be so kind as to add a poll, with each server as an option, I'd appreciate it!

If you're NOT doing Fractals, and you are doing/prefer doing non-fractal PvE content, then which server are you on? Server merges don't seem to be happening, but server transfers are a thing. It might be better for the people who're still playing to consolidate on a server. So at the very least, the dynamic events may still work rather than being horribly broken due to the lack of people.

A post by DuskWolf without mentioning Mass Effect? :eek: What is this doing here? Burn it now!

So in relation to the actual topic, erm... play on a high/full server and you'll find plenty of people to play with. PvP/WvW/PvE-world/PvE-dungeons/PvE-roleplaying... whatever floats your boat - they're all there.

#20 FreeBooteR

FreeBooteR

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I've always ran across people as i was leveling up my characters. 5 at level 80 now. I hang out in Orr these days, and since plinx was nerfed in Cursed Shore it seems a large number of people run the penitent path events. Every now and then there is a call to come help people open Arah or the Grenth temple there.

Orr has a bunch of event chains that people zerg, so just ask where the zerg is in that zone and go follow. Also running around you tend to pick up quite a few resources, and run into zergs as they go past.

Also there is a website somewhere that lists the event times for dragon events. Tons of people are always there.

Edited by FreeBooteR, 12 December 2012 - 08:25 PM.


#21 Khlaw

Khlaw

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PoE]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Postblindude, on 12 December 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Let me guess you are not into pvp too!?!
You have effectively said that you dont enjoy pretty much everything the game offers so my advise would be to play something else.
There is not such a game that can satisfy all your needs and thats fine.
I think that's a bit of an overreaction.  The OP asked about PVE options other than fractals, but said nothing about PVP.  For all we know he/she spends 95% of his/her gametime in PVP and is trying to decide what to do with the other 5%.  That aside, you seem to be suggesting that fractals and PVP are the only options in the game, which is far from the truth.

Off the top of my head:
  • World exploration
  • Jumping puzzles
  • Non-fractal dungeons
  • Alts
  • Crafting
  • High-level DEs
I personally don't PVP or do fractals, and have plenty to occupy my time.  Cursed Shore is always busy on my server, with at least two decent-sized groups running around at all times, and I spend a lot of time with alts.  In no way do I feel like I am running out of things to do.  The things I enjoy may bore you to tears, but different people are into different things - which is why, for every person who loves or hates the game, there is another who feels the opposite.

#22 whodini

whodini

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

So I travel on the road for my job and don't play as often as I'd like.  I'm usually over the high end areas doing daily in Farming. Would like to get into some fractals. I'm on Ferguson crossing server. At times It feels desolate. I think they should merge some servers.I don't think the game is dead. Just the opposite. The game's been out for a few months now and people are spread out too thin. I have 2 level 80 characters and more than half way on a third. Last 2 times I played in a dungeon. It cost me so much coin in armor repairs from people quitting I strayed away from it. Just want to play with some people who  understand you just can't get it right the first time and it takes practice . In the long run it's okay for me to do armor repairs so long as we get through it.

#23 ChuyDog08

ChuyDog08

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postsyrin, on 12 December 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

I'm on borealis pass and there always seem to be people on doing stuff. Always have groups forming for dungeons and plenty for events like dragon calls.

I too am on Bolis Pass.  There seems to be a good mixture of people in almost every aspect of the game.  I have to admit that it has thinned out quite a bit since the start, but I still find a good number of players running around.   What do I do in the game?  I have leveled 4 alts to 80 and on my second map clear.  I help guild members when they need help or runs to certain areas.  I participate in Dungeons, Fractionals, WvW, and work on misc acheivements such as jumping or diving when I get bored with the PVE.  I have a set farm I try to do with my alts when I have extra time.  Hope that helps.

Edit:

PS.  Make sure to join a good guild and get on their server.  It can make a hugh difference in the game.

Edited by ChuyDog08, 12 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.


#24 Runkleford

Runkleford

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

The game isn't dying but some people here are in serious denial (Lord Krall being a good example) when they say that some areas of the game aren't severely underpopulated now. While most of the areas are easy enough to do things on your own, there remains problem areas like Orr where temples are often contested now. It's a pain getting specific karma armor pieces at times. Or holy crap, getting Obsidian shards from Balthazar.

I really think ANET made a horrible design choice by making the "endgame" a 5 man instance where all the best loot drops. It's killing the population in the rest of the game. This is especially a dumb decision considering they made it so that you're downscaled to lower level areas to encourage players to play in all of the areas but they killed that with Fractals.

But anyway, I'm now sticking mostly to sPVP and some WvW ever since the Lost Shores update.

Edited by Runkleford, 12 December 2012 - 09:49 PM.


#25 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7986 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

It's hard to consolidate servers when the majority are full and rest are very high population. 7 of 24 US servers are very high population and the rest are full.

I've been leveling different characters with guildmates and just running around zones like the Fields of Ruin, getting more story out of the game.

#26 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

you can WvW for a while.  there are a few incentives for doing that.  if you dont like WvW, you can run one of the 8 dungeons and the 3 paths per dungeon, which makes it around 24 dungeons. . . i mean, thats a lot of content.

#27 Millimidget

Millimidget

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Dungeons, or do what everyone else does and farm sparks when Jormag isn't up or someone isn't clearing one of the other Orr temples.

#28 Auenwing

Auenwing

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Suggestions (some already posted):

*  High pop servers on weekends would be your best bet for fractals. More activity with fractals happening on weekends (obviously).

*  Find a good guild with 4 other members to run those with on a consistent basis.

* Or, make it fun, try finding 2 other buddies and running dungeons as a 3-some. Yea. We do that sometimes. Fun stuff.

If you are motivated by accomplishment / "progression" defined as stat gear farming, then not much else in this game would probably appeal or appear to be fun. Plenty of other MMOs offer that option.

-----------------------

As for what I and my guild find enjoyable:

1) Doing explorables with only 4.

2) WvW (old DAoC players).

3) Leveling new alts / group compositions  to do #1.

4) Doing all variants of stories while doing #3.

5) Outdoor events / raids.


Good luck, hope you find a good group of like-minded players to enjoy the part of the game you are obviously interested in.

.

Edited by Auenwing, 13 December 2012 - 08:55 AM.


#29 whodini

whodini

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Not especially hard to merge servers. Just e mail players where there server is being deleted and give them a free pass to choose another server of there choice within a certain time period or they will be assigned automatically to a server.

#30 Keaghan

Keaghan

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 255 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Kest]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostTrei, on 12 December 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

I am still exploring on Crystal Desert server, crafting, leveling alts and doing their personal stories, attempting to solo stuff I should not be soloing, joining dungeon runs if I happen to see LFMs around zones with one, helping friends and guildies with whatever they feel like doing, stalking strangers in the wilds, helping strangers I come across with whatever they are doing, going into WvW and battlegrounds when I feel like it...

I am not doing fractals yet.
I want to, but just have not gotten around to it.

I'm in crystal desert and I'm sorta in the same position, just low game time xD I have only done one level of fractals but I would like to play with you if you want to add me. I like doing Arab dungeon atm and really wanna get do fractals more, level 2 in it. It's pretty fun, the giant one is totally awesome, I love that instance!  My ign I'd is Allister.9426


I'm not doing fractals, but atm, I'm either doing some jumping puzzles in WvW and helping ppl with it, I'm a mesmer so I get them up there pretty quick. I also try to complete my Map Completion on my main, or do Arah with my guild to farm the shards of zaitan to get my armor for my next character, only Lvl 16.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users