Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

General Updating of OP

last update: 3/1/13

As I notice more things about the build, or people suggest changes that I then use or feel would be helpful, I'll add/alter the OP to reflect this, so you don't have to check any later posts to see changes I've made, and have the most current version at the top.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAJOR UPDATE: Changed traits, sigils, runes and other stuff due to Nov 15th Update, added further explanations too. The build now provides more damage from you and your allies, has more balanced stats and survival built in than before. Basically more might for you/allies, more vulnerability for foes.

With this MH/OH set up I find fights more fun; I now find I can just use active blocks and stay on target and not having to roll away, slowing DPS, all depending on your own reactions. The build also doesn't seem to run out of steam as bosses get a higher level (fractals) and hit harder. With perma protection from hammer or other souces, 66% of damage still gets through, most bosses etc that can 1-shot or 2-shot you down only do so periodically, so if you notice the animations, any hit whether 100 damage, 100,000 or KD spam, daze or huge aoe can still be mitigated if timed correctly.

Build:  http://gw2skills.net...yymlLLZWLIGFMJA

Sceenshot of stats: Posted Image

Some keys parts of the build:

F1 (VoJ) spam: Upon combat start and every kill, it now gives you:

AoE Blind + 3 stacks of vulnerability + 5 Second burn + 3 Stacks of might to you and nearby allies which also heals (via AH trait) yourself for each person who receives a boon from you (boons put on yourself included)

Read the bit above again, it's awesome, all that from one key press, and it can be repeated on every kill, as fast as you can press the button with no internal cooldown.

I know people used to say "lol f1 spam is for levelling" but now it's just too good not to use.

Example: When farming DE's like penitent or shelfter in Oor, even if I leeroy into a large group and take lots of damage, with all the other people around spamming F1 heals me straight back up with no intteruption to using the AoE auto attack on staff, plus you've probably just stacked 25 might onto yourself and everyone around you. Since the update you probably stacked a lot of vulnerability too if you can hit the F1 key quick enough meaning the veterans/champs left over go down quicker.

I've seen others say it, but I'll say it again, map F1 to a mouse key. I have F1 and Skill 1 mapped next to each other on my mouse so I can press them both at the same time.

Every time you critical hit, you and allies gain might, which heals you (added in update)

Every time you block you gain more might, which heals you (more blocks now available in update)

You have 7 (ish) blocks available, 4 skills on your bar, one passive aegis every 40 secs, one when your health reaches 50% and one emergency if you hit the F3 key.  

With all this defense (which also buffs your damage and heals you at the same time remember) I changed the heal skill to shelter as suggested by others, due to fact I don't need the bigger heal from the signet and I'm not using a trait to reduce signet cooldown anymore. This can block an infinite number of hits for 2 seconds, even more might stacks and heals. Try using the heal skill, even if you don't need the heal, in CoF dungeon when one of the guys with a flamethrower attacks, you'll see the word "blocked" rapidly spammed under you and the might stack boon counter shoot up.

Focus Skill 4 now applies 3-6 stacks of vulnerability to a foe (could be more)

Focus skill 5 now grants stacks of might to you when you block, and can trigger AoE retaliation if used after mace 2

Armour/Trinkets/Weapons

Amour:

1x Valk on the chest, 5x Berserkers on other pieces
Trinkets:

Berserker amulet, 2x berserker rings, 2x bersereker earings. Cavalier backpack with a ruby orb.

Weapons:

Primary set - Berserker Mace, Berserker Focus (Focus added in update)
Secondary set 1- Berserker Staff (for AoE on multiple foes)
Secondary set 2- Berserker Scepter (for bosses, single foes or enemies requiring maximum range of 1200)

Runes and sigils

Runes:

6x Rune of soldier so your shouts also remove conditions on you and allies, plus increased durability for you.

or...

2x Superior rune of water
2x Major rune of water
2x Superior rune of the monk

for +40% boon duration, only use these if you're confident you can survive in a high conditions spam environment  I've done TA explorable dungeon now several times with no personal condition removal other than Focus skill #4 and "Save yourselves!" for allies, with no problems.

or...

6x Superior rune of Altruism

Due to guardians lacking reliable source of fury from themselves, this rune seems quite useful, as it adds some more might to yourself and allies too, so more damage. Both of these additional boons will also heal you through AH, making the heal skill a stronger heal in itself as well as adding more healing power stats.

Sigils:

MH weapon (mace): Superior sigil of force or Superior sigil of battle though I may drop the sigil of battle as if there's someone else pumping might to your party in a dungeon I've be hitting the maximum number of stacks which is a waste.
OH weapon (focus): Superior sigil of accuracy

Staff: Superior sigil of bloodlust to get 25 stacks quickly with the AoE auto attack.
Scepter: Superior sigil of force for bosses as some you cannot achieve a critical hit.

Trait choices

Radiance line

15 points for renewed Justice so you can spam the F1 skill after every kill.

Adept: Blind Exposure 3 stacks of vulnerability every time you blind a foe, using the f1 key or focus #4

Valor line

30 points to max critical damage and get the most Biig Domages!!!tm. As a side benefit, it is also our toughness trait line, so not a glass cannon. More good minor traits here too (maybe not the master one), might when you block, aegis at 50% health (another auto block).

Adept: A buff to an offensive attribute using a defensive attribute? the best of both worlds.

Master: +5% damage with my main weapon of choice

Grandmaster: Altruistic Healing, I get healed every time I grant a boon to myself or an ally. As a guardian, this happens a lot, and even with nearly no healing power stat it adds up to quite a good amount of health coming back. A few of examples are:

1. The symbol from the mace or any other weapon for every pulse on every person affected.
2. Every pulse from the staff skill #4 empower on a heal for each ally.
3. "Retreat" and "stand your ground" shouts give 2x heals for each person

These are not all ways to trigger AH, far from it, and on their own, they don't heal for much, but in practice when combined they become significant enough to choose this trait over others at GM level.

Honor

20 points: Some good minor traits, gain vigor on critical hit I find it very useful to refill my endurance bar quicker, also heals you via AH. Dodge rolls heal you and allies, another good one.

Adept: Shouts recharge faster, most of the time I have 3 shouts, though I do swap them sometimes for other utilities, there's usually 2 at least on my bar.

Master: Empowering might, causes my critical hits to grant might to me and allies, which again, heals me via AH trait,

Virtues

5 points to unlock more boons when activating F1 F2 or F3. F1 is recharged every kill, so might is stacked every time also, which also heals you for each ally affected.

When I get in trouble I trigger all 3 virtues and then use the elite skill to recharge them, doing so also grants boons, which with this minor trait and AH, heals you directly as well.

Some other notes

I use staff in dungeons for multiple mobs or scepter with focus for long range single targets.

Sword can be used instead of mace if you wish, as it has another blind and a block skill too, however you drop the 5% damage buff from traits, and I prefer the bigger hits the mace shows rather than multiple small packets.

I made this build to play as DPS but with survival too as I PuG a lot. Mace seems to hit slow and hard, sword seems smaller hits but more of them, and mace also has inherent defense and healing built in, so mace it was. Focus seems to now add even more attack damage.

Thought I would mention if you start a fight by using mace #2 (healing symbol) then use focus #5 you trigger area retaliation, which also heals you a little as a bonus.

TL;DR I am absolutely loving the build now, DPS guardian that buff your allies damage to the maximum.

Edited by chullster, 03 January 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#2 BlasBlas

BlasBlas

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

It is an interesting build.  I like the idea of turning the mace into what is perceived as a defensive weapon into something with more offense.

To keep with the spirit of the build.

An idea, maybe go all signet with what you have currently.  It seems a waste to run the shouts when two of your traits focus on signets.

Also, don't sleep on Shelter,  Its actually a really nice skill because it has a shorter cooldown, and the two blocks work with any traits that buff you when you block.  I'm not saying to use it, but if you are looking for different things to tweak or maybe change things up its something to note.

#3 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I was thinking like you the extra blocks from shelter would boost damage via more might stacks, wasn't sure it'll drop some condition removal, but then you suggested.......

The utilities are not fixed, just what I had on at the time, I usually swap in wall of reflection/smite conditions/sanctuary/consecrated ground depending on what I'm doing. I've not tried full signets, but I'll see if any additions are worthwhile as a base selection, maybe the power boost one at least. I'll try it out.

Edit: tried the other heal and more signets, and you can tell they aren't as useful I'm afraid. The heal signet is only 2 secs longer recharge, but nearly double the amount of health returned. The blocking it provides is too short to benefit much.

Additional signets are not as useful as other utility skills, with either too long recharge, or lack of good effect when either active or passive. I only brought signet of judgement due to it's low recharge time, it's condition removal and weakness/retaliation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2nd Edit: Decided I like the heal skill shelter more now and have changed the traits and skills in the OP to reflect this.

View PostBlasBlas, on 13 December 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

It is an interesting build.  I like the idea of turning the mace into what is perceived as a defensive weapon into something with more offense.

Yeah I thought the same, defence and healing are built in already and when I've used it in the past it seemed good damage, so why not go all-out in that direction?

Edited by chullster, 31 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Enesty

Enesty

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

i'm running a very similar build right now (went 10 Virtues instead of 5 Honor/5 Virtues). When soloing, I use the available spirit weapon traits (Burning, +20% Duration). Adds a nice little punch, and the healing from bow of truth isn't that bad either.

However, I don't have any dungeon experience with this build (other than the wintersday dungeons, but they don't really count i guess). But for general PvE, this build is really nice.

#5 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostEnesty, on 17 December 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

However, I don't have any dungeon experience with this build (other than the wintersday dungeons, but they don't really count i guess). But for general PvE, this build is really nice.

A Mace/Off-hand set in Dungeon can be very defensible. (You can pair with with a you favored two-hand weapon - I would probably go with Staff or Hammer) You will be giving off constant heals to a small area within Melee Range. I don't think that going full on Radiance would be a good way to use it though. I think I will cut back on radiance and go for 20 Honor and 20 Virtues for a dungeon function.

#6 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

View Postjpg1, on 18 December 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

A Mace/Off-hand set in Dungeon can be very defensible. (You can pair with with a you favored two-hand weapon - I would probably go with Staff or Hammer) You will be giving off constant heals to a small area within Melee Range. I don't think that going full on Radiance would be a good way to use it though. I think I will cut back on radiance and go for 20 Honor and 20 Virtues for a dungeon function.

I completely agree, I've updated the build and post, using yours and other people suggestions.

Removed some points from radiance, gaining a lot of trait bonuses I felt I missed too much. I added more crit damage, now it's at 77 up from the original post, more might stacks/vulnerability stacks and survivability.

All in all, I Luuuurrve Mace+Focus damage and defense. Tell me what you think.

#7 BlasBlas

BlasBlas

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Wow, this build looks stellar.  Nice Job.  I love it.

#8 Enesty

Enesty

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

View Postjpg1, on 18 December 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

good points. will definitely try it out.

@OP: nice changes ;) will give this one a shot too.

Edited by Enesty, 18 December 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#9 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Any mods able to let me change the topic title?

I've realised the build is extremely flexible (weapon choice wise) when replying to some PMs so I'd prefer it to be something like
"[Build]: Any weapon DPS and party damage buff" Even if it's not as catchy.

Edit: ok leave it as it is as requested :D

Edited by chullster, 26 December 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#10 BlasBlas

BlasBlas

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Noooo keep mace in the face haha!

#11 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Play tested it in WvW yet or is this an all PvE build?

#12 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DBoS]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postchullster, on 26 December 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

Any mods able to let me change the topic title?

I've realised the build is extremely flexible (weapon choice wise) when replying to some PMs so I'd prefer it to be something like
"[Build]: Any weapon DPS and party damage buff" Even if it's not as catchy.

I'd like to see OPs thoughts on adding in a Hammer here. Primary or secondary? What traits would/have you changed? SIgil thought on a Hammer?

I like the build, and look forward to using it...also think hammer can be a lot of fun and look forward to reading your thoughts on tweaks for incorporating a hammer.

Thanks!

#13 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostThorfinnr, on 26 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

I'd like to see OPs thoughts on adding in a Hammer here. Primary or secondary? What traits would/have you changed? SIgil thought on a Hammer?

I like the build, and look forward to using it...also think hammer can be a lot of fun and look forward to reading your thoughts on tweaks for incorporating a hammer.

Thanks!

If you go hammer as primary I'd switch in Glacial Heart instead of the +mace damage trait and as you're spamming the prot symbol, I'd be tempted to swap the - shouts CD trait for larger symbols so you have some more room to roll around and still be inside it. As you'd be no longer favouring shouts I'd be tempted by Hallowed Ground and Smite Condition keeping Stand Your Ground. For secondary weapon I'd stick to the staff, or for more prot and 1200 range attack, sceptre and shield.

If you don't fancy glacial heart then either Purity or Honourable Shield, then you can keep the - CD shouts traits and 3 shouts on your utilities.

Sigils wise for hammer, if you're already got a Bloodlust on another weapon then maybe sigil of rage as it makes the hammer a bit faster and is cheap. I prefer flat damage increases on slow hitting weapons so maybe sigil of force. You could try the + frozen duration (not sure if it's worth it though as such a low percentage increase), or if you weapon swap a lot then sigil of battle though it's pricey.

View Postheatrr, on 26 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Play tested it in WvW yet or is this an all PvE build?

PvE, DE farming and dungeons. Never really take my guardian into WvW, always my war ele and necro. I should really and see what needs changing, I have a feeling some traits will need changing so you can have the reduced falling damage one in Zeal.

I've just checked and I'd drop 5 points from Radiance and 5 from Virtues as the F1 spam is going to be wasted in WvW, then I'd add 10 to Zeal for Protectors impact.

Something like this:http://gw2skills.net...eJ8y11CiRB7PmEA

I'm trying out Sword+Focus and so far I can say I love the teleport, the extra blind+vulnerability from skill 2 and the combined damage from skill 3. Have to say though faster attacking the individual damage numbers are not as big as mace, so I do miss seeing them and the full block+high-hitter on mace 3. I also think the constant AoE healing from mace is helpful when you have other melee in the team for obvious reasons.

Overall I'm still loving the active defence options from mace to make the game more twitch based, and the bigger hits too.

I have also gone back to +40% boon duration runes as I feel I am out-healing any condition damage and don't want to lose the extra time granted on all the boons I spam/use.

Edited by chullster, 28 December 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#14 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

OK...I put this together and wanted your input.

http://gw2skills.net...mlLLZWrCGjshYSA

You can see that I subbed in "Healer's Retribution" for "Blind Exposure", as Hammer does nothing to apply blindness.

Also used the Sigil of Rage to speed hammer up a bit.

Force and Bloodlust on Scepter and Shield respectively.

Build editor won't let you use majors, but I think the:

2x Major rune of water

would work well here.

This version kept the shouts.

**Also, what are your thoughts on the new Altruism Runes (editor doesn't have those or Mad King's available)?
(1): +25 Posted Image Healing Power
(2): Give 3 stacks of Posted Image Might to nearby allies when using a healing skill. (Cooldown: 10s)   
(3): +50Posted Image Healing Power
(4): +15% Posted Image Boon Duration
(5): +90 Posted Image Healing Power
(6): Give Posted Image Fury to nearby allies when using a healing skill. (Cooldown: 10s)

Not as much Boon bonus...but really cranks up the Healing Power...interested to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: Added correct link to build.

Edited by Thorfinnr, 29 December 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#15 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostThorfinnr, on 26 December 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

OK...I put this together and wanted your input.

http://en.gw2skills....yymlLLZWLIGFMJA

Unless I'm mistaken that link takes me to the main build in the first post, you need to click the "Get quick link" button again on that web site once you've made your changes then repost it.

You are correct that the hammer doesn't apply blind, however you should still be applying one blind per foe using the F1 key at the start of a fight. It's not as much vulnerability stacking as with a sword or focus but it still adds to your groups damage in addition to the might from the 5 points in virtues, so blind exposure still looks a stronger choice with hammer. Compared to 3 sec retribution on heal skill use, I don't know, it just doesn't seem as potent.

I like your sigil choices, and runes, they're the same ones I use for +40% boon duration.

On the runes of alturism, I bought the materials to produce a few sets of these when they first appeared but haven't got around to trying them out.

So on paper, comparing the +40% boon runes I currently have, you lose 25% boon duration (noticeable but not the end of the world), gain 100 healing power (much higher as you're getting the top level bonuses from one set instead of the mixture of lower ones) and 4 boons to boost yours and the groups damage on a 10 sec cooldown. The name of the runes gives you a clue also, as in this build we're using AH, those boons given also heal us, so your heal skill (shelter in this case) heals you in three ways now:

1) The direct heal number you see on the tooltip
2) If you block any attacks while using Shelter, the might granted via the minor trait heals you  
3) The 3x might and 1x fury from the runes of alturism heals you via AH for each person effected.

I think I'll get around to crafting a set for my guardian and try it out, as I'm always feeling I lack fury unless in CoF (trait for it) or have another person in the group granting it. I also don't like having 3 different runes meaning you don't get the more juicy stats boost from using a full set of 6.

One thing I'd like to know is how long is the duration of those boons that the runes grant?

If you find out before I do just post in here and I'll add the info to the OP.

Edited by chullster, 27 December 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#16 ArtimiseFlare

ArtimiseFlare

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Curiosity, does this build work well with a shield? Or is the focus a must have to maintain offensive DPS?

#17 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

View Postchullster, on 27 December 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Unless I'm mistaken that link takes me to the main build in the first post, you need to click the "Get quick link" button again on that web site once you've made your changes then repost it.

You are correct that the hammer doesn't apply blind, however you should still be applying one blind per foe using the F1 key at the start of a fight. It's not as much vulnerability stacking as with a sword or focus but it still adds to your groups damage in addition to the might from the 5 points in virtues, so blind exposure still looks a stronger choice with hammer. Compared to 3 sec retribution on heal skill use, I don't know, it just doesn't seem as potent.

I like your sigil choices, and runes, they're the same ones I use for +40% boon duration.

On the runes of alturism, I bought the materials to produce a few sets of these when they first appeared but haven't got around to trying them out.

So on paper, comparing the +40% boon runes I currently have, you lose 25% boon duration (noticeable but not the end of the world), gain 100 healing power (much higher as you're getting the top level bonuses from one set instead of the mixture of lower ones) and 4 boons to boost yours and the groups damage on a 10 sec cooldown. The name of the runes gives you a clue also, as in this build we're using AH, those boons given also heal us, so your heal skill (shelter in this case) heals you in three ways now:

1) The direct heal number you see on the tooltip
2) If you block any attacks while using Shelter, the might granted via the minor trait heals you  
3) The 3x might and 1x fury from the runes of alturism heals you via AH for each person effected.

I think I'll get around to crafting a set for my guardian and try it out, as I'm always feeling I lack fury unless in CoF (trait for it) or have another person in the group granting it. I also don't like having 3 different runes meaning you don't get the more juicy stats boost from using a full set of 6.

One thing I'd like to know is how long is the duration of those boons that the runes grant?

If you find out before I do just post in here and I'll add the info to the OP.

Again, play tested this in WvW yet or you simply sticking with PvE for this setup?

#18 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

View Postheatrr, on 28 December 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

Again, play tested this in WvW yet or you simply sticking with PvE for this setup?

No not tested in WvW, not ignoring you. I thought I did reply in post #13, even suggested some changes to the build if you were going to try it in WvW.

Any improvements you can suggest if you're more into that side on the game would be appreciated.

View PostArtimiseFlare, on 27 December 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Curiosity, does this build work well with a shield? Or is the focus a must have to maintain offensive DPS?

I did use a shield at first when paired with mace, yes it works, you can swap the +mace damage trait for the Honorable Shield trait. No weapon is a must-have really for PvE, you would lose some vulnerability stacks, the 3 blocks which grant you might and the explosion if you're not hit, though you gain some control and the protection boon instead. You could go more Berserkers/Valk gear if you do take a shield though I'll leave that up to your own experimentation.

You just reminded me I need to change the OP as I've changed the armour slightly, and add the new rune choice information.

Edit: OP picture of stats update and trinket changes implimented.

Edited by chullster, 28 December 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#19 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

OK...I feel; silly now...how bout I just repost the thing here with the right link this time...:)

You can see that I subbed in "Healer's Retribution" for "Blind Exposure", as Hammer does nothing to apply blindness.

Also used the Sigil of Rage to speed hammer up a bit.

Force and Bloodlust on Scepter and Shield respectively.

Build editor won't let you use majors, but I think the:

2x Major rune of water

would work well here.(I'm also good with full Soldiers...as you can't beat the condition removal and the Vit and Tough are undeniable good.)

This version kept the shouts...although I subbed in "Hold the Line" and removed "Retreat"...but either one benefits the group. I kind of run the line on this as "situational"...whichever one works best for the playstyle is fine.

I think I'm going to do the same with the new Altruism Runes...although I am not at the level to use them yet...as unfortunately I am still levelling my Guardian.

Hope this doesn't stray off too far and provides a good "Hammer Variant".

#20 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Still learning this whole Guardian Trait tree...I missed that...rookie mistake! :)

I can see that as still being a better choice...and flipped it back in this version:

#21 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostThorfinnr, on 29 December 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Still learning this whole Guardian Trait tree...I missed that...rookie mistake! :)

I can see that as still being a better choice...and flipped it back in this version:

Now I can see what you've changed :)

If when you're up to 80 and played a while can repost here with your findings I'm sure it would add to the topic, doesn't matter which weapon you're using.

On Hold the Line; I'd use that myself, but last time I checked the skill was still bugged, and didn't trigger the condition flip from Pure of Voice trait or Soldiers runes, I think there was another bug, but I forget. Shame really as it's such a relatively short recharge and has a couple of nice boons.

Regarding the Altruism runes, I've had them for a few days now and can say they seem to work ok, both boons pop each time but fury is only 5 secs, bit of a bummer, but for now they're staying.

Edited by chullster, 30 December 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#22 Avorniel

Avorniel

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Just would like to chip in here and say that I have been using your build since I started my guardian and she hit 80 yesterday and I have to say it's fun and am having a blast,shes only in rare crafted level 80 gear but she really is a pleasure to level and farm with and boy can she chew through mobs lol.
I don't use the staff but a GS with major Sigil of Fire  and swapped out the mace+ damage trait for Purity other than that it's exactly the same and am saving up for the superior runes.
Am using Major runes of Hoelbrak x4 and Dolyak x2 not exactly the same but they seem to be ok ?  for the time being.

So thanks for sharing the build and the updates

:)

Edited by Avorniel, 30 December 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#23 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostAvorniel, on 30 December 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I don't use the staff but a GS with major Sigil of Fire  and swapped out the mace+ damage trait for Purity other than that it's exactly the same and am saving up for the superior runes.
Am using Major runes of Hoelbrak x4 and Dolyak x2 not exactly the same but they seem to be ok ?  for the time being.

So thanks for sharing the build and the updates

Thank you for the comments, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I had the superior sigil of fire on my mace, I got lucky with the forge when throwing major runes into it. It looks great when it triggers and does good damage, the only thing is I got tempted by it's price and sold it. Other than my weakness to sell expensive stuff I'd say that sigil is great.

I do the same as you, swapping in purity, when I do some Fractals and want a lazy time of it. I use a scepter instead of mace in that situation. If I'm feeling bored I'll rotate back to mace then ranged weapons and leave in the +5% damage buff, it's handy you can change it on the go.

I also get bored of using the same weapons; I like using a build that has little or no weapon related traits, meaning I don't feel pigeon holed into one or two sets, so I'm glad you're finding it works with GS too.

I like the look of the Hoelbrak runes, more damage and self heals when the number 4 effect triggers too, so a good choice there. Did you feel you needed more toughness when you picked the dolyak runes? or were they just what you had left laying around? I ask as I am thinking of swapping the last pieces of knights armour to more berserkers for PvE.

Toughness is great in WvW, it's a burden in PvE though it seems. Only because it causes you to be an aggro magnet too much of the time. Every time my friend brings his full rabid decked out necro for a dungeon run, he is attacked and tracked 90% of the time. The opposite happens to me if I take MF armour compared to my old full knights set which I've nearly fully scrapped, no one seems to target you much at all. The build has +300 toughness from traits so I still don't feel fragile.

Shame really as I like toughness in WvW, means I'll have to make sets of armour/jewels just for WvW, which is a bit of a waste of resources and storage space.

Edited by chullster, 31 December 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#24 Avorniel

Avorniel

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

View Postchullster, on 31 December 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

I like the look of the Hoelbrak runes, more damage and self heals when the number 4 effect triggers too, so a good choice there. Did you feel you needed more toughness when you picked the dolyak runes? or were they just what you had left laying around? I ask as I am thinking of swapping the last pieces of knights armour to more berserkers for PvE.

Hiya

The dolyak were really just to fill the 2 slots but i thought having the extra toughness wouldn't hurt as a gap filler till I can afford the superior rune of the Solder which are just still close to 2g a pop lol

Heres a picture of my character stats..

Posted Image

She only has the Rare version of the Beserker Amulet and only has master crafted rings (ruby) and Earrings (Ruby +Emerald) so she isn't at her best by any means.

Her gear is 3 x knights, 2 x Beserker,1 x Valk (Feet) all crafted Rare  

I may swap out the Valk and 1 Knights once I get better Jewlery but she seems to have nice round stats with what she is wearing and all I will be doing is pve as wvw,pvp seems ok but really isn't my thing :P.

I forgot I also swapped out Empowering might for the 2 handed-mastery as I am 90% alone I thought it wouldn't hurt to much.

I have seen her get better and better as I have upgraded her gear to what you have been using with a slight tweak here and there for my own style.

EDIT
After posting this It made me think,so i went did a wiki and notice I can actually make the Superior rune of solder as I have a 400 armoursmith ,so after pricing it up the cost was 65s lol  ..(feels a total noob at this point in not figuring it out earlier lol ),though I may miss the might duration + extra power hmm what to do lol

Maybe it be best for me to hang fire till I get all my gear to at least rare state and swap the 2 items of armor then see if I need the extra pwr+tough or pw+might duration as they both either remove or lower a condition.

Edited by Avorniel, 31 December 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#25 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostAvorniel, on 31 December 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

snip

You ninja'd me: I was about to reply you can craft those runes, but you beat me to it.

I crafted and use them on my warrior right now as he spams Great Justice. There are so many good runes it's hard to pick and settle on one set, I seem to be ok with conditions on my guardian without soldiers as the self healing is so strong with the AH trait, so I'll stick to the altruism ones for now, though I am tempted by some more damage based ones like scholar or +might/boon duration runes.

Like you I'm thinking of going more damage based armour stats, the mace/focus combo is solid enough to take off some toughness and vitality and replace it with power/prec/crit dmg, I don't know, maybe you can go all out berserkers and still not go down even if you mess up with block/blind timings? the 300 traited toughness may be all you need.

I look at my stats picture and it still looks like I have too much toughness, I'm going change stats some more when I get round to it and I'll update the OP when I know one way or the other.

Just a quick note on Empowering Might; it effects you as well as allies, so you get more might stacks when you critical hit. When you're on your own it still buffs your DPS and heals you, though not as much healing compared to when you're in a group of course.

Having said that if you feel you're hanging around waiting for your GS skills, then stick with the cool down reduction.

btw, how many vulnerability stacks do you get when opening combat with mace/focus? Most of the time it's 9 for me, 3 from F1 button, and 6 from Focus #4,  but occasionally I see 12, and I'm not sure if you get more bounces if you don't have a condition.

PS: are you addicted to harvesting tools? ;)

PPS: Glad you have taste and wield a proper sword, not a silly looking burger flipper

Edited by chullster, 31 December 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#26 Avorniel

Avorniel

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

View Postchullster, on 31 December 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Like you I'm thinking of going more damage based armour stats, the mace/focus combo is solid enough to take off some toughness and vitality and replace it with power/prec/crit dmg, I don't know, maybe you can go all out berserkers and still not go down even if you mess up with block/blind timings? the 300 traited toughness may be all you need.

I have a tendency to Leap of Faith GS (skill 3) into a mob with F1 at same time,then laying down SoW (GS skill 4) and purging flames,SYG, then use Binding Blade (GS skill 5) pull about 4-5 mobs on me of same level or just under use whirling Wrath (GS skill 2) and pray I don't go down splat lol so I like the extra toughness I have got as the mob may have a vet or 2 (as I had the other day,still lived though) I keep HTL in reserve or may use it when more when I know I will be pulling a few Vets at once and if that is the case will be after SYG.
I still have the Mace/Focus to fall back on if I  am going down to fast with extra mobs coming in as I use the mace/focus for defense most of the time.

Just a quick note on Empowering Might; it effects you as well as allies, so you get more might stacks when you critical hit. When you're on your own it still buffs your DPS and heals you, though not as much healing compared to when you're in a group of course.

ok I will have a play around and see how it goes,I don't rush around so skill downtime isn't much of an issue to me.

btw, how many vulnerability stacks do you get when opening combat with mace/focus? Most of the time it's 9 for me, 3 from F1 button, and 6 from Focus #4,  but occasionally I see 12, and I'm not sure if you get more bounces if you don't have a condition.

Will have a check, and get back on this   I have 3 from F1 and 6 from Focus skill 4 so total of 9 not seen anything higher but that would prob be down to my lower gear spec than yours.

PS: are you addicted to harvesting tools? ;)

I hoover every node i can find and hate running out of them lol

PPS: Glad you have taste and wield a proper sword, not a silly looking burger flipper

Yeah am not a fan at all of the over large weapons and the skin from my one came from one of the quests in my story as it was level 8 so have kept it till I hit 80

Replies in the quote

On a side note do you know where I can get or can I make the superior rune of hoelbrak ? been trying to find out this information but wiki just lists the item, but doesn't say where it can be got from or if it can be made with what type of mats and have tried google to but have hit a blank.

Updated the remaining question within the quote

Edited by Avorniel, 31 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#27 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostAvorniel, on 31 December 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Replies in the quote

On a side note do you know where I can get or can I make the superior rune of hoelbrak ? been trying to find out this information but wiki just lists the item, but doesn't say where it can be got from or if it can be made with what type of mats and have tried google to but have hit a blank.

Updated the remaining question within the quote

A quick search on the TP found some for sale, and they're relatively cheap (78s when I checked), so I assume they appear on exotic drops or from using the forge randomly with 4 other runes, like most of the others. If there's a recipe I've no idea what it is.

I thought they were from a dungeon, that's why I searched the TP first, as dungeon given runes are not saleable.

#28 Avorniel

Avorniel

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

View Postchullster, on 31 December 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

A quick search on the TP found some for sale, and they're relatively cheap (78s when I checked), so I assume they appear on exotic drops or from using the forge randomly with 4 other runes, like most of the others. If there's a recipe I've no idea what it is.

I thought they were from a dungeon, that's why I searched the TP first, as dungeon given runes are not saleable.

Thanks

Edited by Avorniel, 31 December 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#29 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

View Postchullster, on 30 December 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

If when you're up to 80 and played a while can repost here with your findings I'm sure it would add to the topic, doesn't matter which weapon you're using.

On Hold the Line; I'd use that myself, but last time I checked the skill was still bugged, and didn't trigger the condition flip from Pure of Voice trait or Soldiers runes, I think there was another bug, but I forget. Shame really as it's such a relatively short recharge and has a couple of nice boons.

Regarding the Altruism runes, I've had them for a few days now and can say they seem to work ok, both boons pop each time but fury is only 5 secs, bit of a bummer, but for now they're staying.

I shall continue to follw this and repost once I get up there...:)

I did not know about the bug on "Hold the Line"...may have to reconsider using it until they get that worked out.

The Fury only being 5 secs is kind of a letdown...but I also was just thinking it would perform as a supplement to the Fury from "Save Yourselves"...hmm...definately something to think on...and since it hits on use of the Heal Skill, would come in handy in those "Oh, S*#t" situations where a kick in the pants can make the difference.

Lots of good ideas and discussions...:)

Edited by Thorfinnr, 04 January 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#30 Darch0n

Darch0n

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Have you considered using the burning on block trait? (Defender's Flame)

I also really want to run with 30 in Radiance for Right hand Strength (+15% crit with 1-hand) but the trade-offs seem pretty severe no matter which way

- 15% crit with +10% on foe under conditions
- Altruistic healing, and blocking might
- Empowering might, heal on roll

you can only choose 2 :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users