Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Dagger Storm VS Thief Guild


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shoppy

Shoppy

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Which elite skill is better? With thief guild you can have some meat shields which could help you survive but dagger storm attacks more mobs.

#2 Soki

Soki

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 837 posts
  • Location:My own little world \~w~/
  • Guild Tag:[Bern]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Haste->Dagger Storm is incredibly powerful. Combine it with Signet of Malice for an on-demand full-heal if there are 3+ mobs in range.
Dagger Storm also reflects projectiles. Don't underestimate that, for clutch moments.
it also grants stability, which counters annoying Karka knockdowns (if you have no dodges or initiative).
It also has a much shorter cooldown.

For most circumstances, I prefer Dagger Storm - but Thieves' Guild has its applications - mostly in single-target situations, or when you want the mob to get tugged to you, but don't want to slot Scorpion Wire.

Overall though, I find Dagger Storm to be better.

#3 Heart Collector

Heart Collector

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 932 posts
  • Location:Athens, Greece

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I like both, but lately I've been gravitating more towards dagger storm - shorter CD combined with tons of damage + stability + projectile reflect - not to mention the synergy it has with other skills make it too good to pass up.

Thieves guild has its uses though. IMO it's safer for soloing since you're less likely to pull stray mobs, and it's especially helpful in skill point challenges and other single powerful opponents, either when you're alone or 2-manning content.

And now a complaint: Why the hell are none of our elites apart from basilisk venom useable underwater? Sure I can understand dagger storm, it wouldn't make much sense underwater... But what's stopping our thieves from slapping on a breather and giving us a hand underwater? :mad:

#4 TGIFrisbie

TGIFrisbie

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostSoki, on 13 December 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Haste->Dagger Storm is incredibly powerful. Combine it with Signet of Malice for an on-demand full-heal if there are 3+ mobs in range.

Excellent point, though not a fan of Sig of Malice for my normal play, and I don't currently do much with thief but node farm.  I prefer the heal stealth for most encounters.

View PostSoki, on 13 December 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Dagger Storm also reflects projectiles. Don't underestimate that, for clutch moments.

Particularly useful in Frostgorge when node farming.  Reflects Wurm Siege, useful in the troll/ele tunnels when just trying to get through, etc.

I used Thieves Guild almost exclusively when levelling.

View PostHeart Collector, on 13 December 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

And now a complaint: Why the hell are none of our elites apart from basilisk venom useable underwater?

Indeed, most bothersome.  Talk about near-sighted skill design.

Edited by TGIFrisbie, 13 December 2012 - 11:01 PM.


#5 Vysander

Vysander

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yea, as others have said, Dagger storm 80% of the time and thieves guild for the other 20% of situations.

And yeah... the lack of underwater elites is very annoying. Especially when you can use thieves guild before going in the water and the thieves will follow you into the water and fight as normal (and they are strong as hell in the water)

#6 darkk zhaitan

darkk zhaitan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Myst]

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

I think most people have already nailed it, but I'll just a bit of extra that's not been mentioned.  For dungeons and fractals where bosses are frequent and do near insta kill hits, thieves guild can be pretty redundant since they die so quickly compared to their long recharges.  Dagger storm is much more reliable and combos better with other skills and can be used more frequently.  I don't think one is definitely better than the other, but I have to say that dagger storm has the advantage of being able to be used in more situations.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users