Rrafaz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

Long story short: I love flamethrower.

What can I expect out of this kit in WvW and sPvP? What's it good for, what can I use it for, etc? I have dreams of running into a group in WvW and burninating them all with a flamethrower, laughing meniacally as I slowly chip their health down (yes, it's that much fun to me). I usually travel in a small group of 5-10, capping camps and ninja'ing towers, so can it perform as well as a grenade kit, in that case?

What stats, traits, and runes should I go for with this kit? I know Juggernaut is a must, but right now I'm trying to stack as much boon duration as possible to make might go higher.

As for sPvP, I took a break from running it on my main (Thief) but might pick it up again when it's not in such a bad place. I'd also like to know if FT is viable there, in any mode. I suspect the #3 and #5 skill is the reason to take it in that mode.

So tell me what your experiences with the FT are in these modes, or anywhere, really. Or just discuss this kit in these modes. I'd really love to know your opinions.

Edited by Rrafaz, 14 December 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#2 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[Jar]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I wish I ever used the Flamethrower's main attack during PvP but it's not the case. Although I can't live without the kit in my P/S setup, the Incendiary Ammo, Air Blast and Smoke Vent, sometimes the Napalm are too valuable for an offensive condition based Engineer.

Edited by MrForz, 14 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#3 Ragnadaam

Ragnadaam

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WoTU]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

I have to agree with Forz; even with 8 stacks of might and 49% crit chance, spamming the FT's auto attack does meh damage. Combine that with the odd range issues (sweet spot in the cone of fire where it will actually hit) and the highly finnicky connection issues with FT # 2, and the FT is relegated, like almost all of our kits, to niche swap in, blow a few abilities, and swap out status.

#4 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

View PostRagnadaam, on 14 December 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

I have to agree with Forz; even with 8 stacks of might and 49% crit chance, spamming the FT's auto attack does meh damage. Combine that with the odd range issues (sweet spot in the cone of fire where it will actually hit) and the highly finnicky connection issues with FT # 2, and the FT is relegated, like almost all of our kits, to niche swap in, blow a few abilities, and swap out status.

Yeah, I agree. Some of the bugs on the FT are really annoying me, I find the #2 messes up most often when you use #3 shortly before, which is the only real good way to set up a good #2 combo when you're getting hit by a melee.

I'll still run around with my FT anyway, because I love it so damn much.

Edited by Rrafaz, 15 December 2012 - 02:27 AM.

#5 redslion

redslion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sometimes I exceed 3k with flamethrower. Not bad, But doing this extensively and in tight fights makes you die quickly.

#6 JohnnyBlackpowder

JohnnyBlackpowder

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VR]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostJohnnyBlackpowder, on 18 December 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Not a bad start for an HGH build, but it does seem a little lackluster in the defense/condition removal department.

Here's the HGH spec that I'm currently running with:
http://en.gw2skills....EkIIbOugkBNo4QA

With this build, I take advantage of the absurd amount of might gained from using HGH in a build with three elixirs, and the FT's auto attack combined with the Sigil of Strength on my rifle (props to Anet for finally giving us sigils for our kits). The main concept behind this build is to rack up the might stacks with the FT, and to then switch to the rifle to unload a very heavily amplified burst approximately every 15 seconds. Thanks to Cleaning Formula 409, Perma Vigor/Swiftness, and Elixir S this build is able to deal with a good deal of pressure, whether it be conditions or direct damage.

As far as runes go, they on maintaining very high might stacks, but also shows some love to the other boons from Elixir S and Elixir B.

I hope this post helps!

-Blackpowder

I posted this on another thread, but nonetheless it's a very viable build that let's you use the Funthrower, burst with a Rifle, and survive to boot!

#7 Obscure One

Obscure One

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EP]

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Here's a bit on my take on the FT from recent posts in a different thread:

View PostObscure One, on 18 December 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

Juggernaut up some might stacks and weave equipping Med Kit in with the FT auto-attack to let Enhance Performance stack on some more...then use Drop Stimulant and Utility Googles to give yourself 20 sec.'s of Fury (unboosted duration) which lasts long enough to reuse Drop Stimulant for another 10 seconds of Fury (again unboosted duration)...

Clever management of skills and traits can pump out colossal close up AoE damage with an FT on par with (and IMHO surpassing) that of Grenade damage. I personally use 6/6 Superior Lyssa's runes since I spam Med Kit so often I end up with frequent random boons, and the buff to my Supply Crate elite to give EVERY boon and shed ALL conditions (perfect synergy with a utility that hasn't left my bar since I unlocked it, Elixir C) has been a game changer for my play style...but I digress!

@ OP: Putting on a Superior Sigil of Blood on top of the Flame Thrower is really not where I see the best options for Sigils and FT usage being at. That being said, I personally prefer Sigil of Strength for the might stacking synergy with the Juggernaut and Enhance Performance traits OR Sigil of Fire for the AoE fire damage kicker in all that existing FT AoE fire damage.

As others have said thus far, the FT is already a very survivable option (particularly when traited), and as Phineas said it's better to focus on boosting that native medium damage output from "Owwy! Dat huwts!" to "RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIFE!"

View PostObscure One, on 19 December 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

My trait spread is 20/30/0/10/10 and my traits are typically Incendiary Powder, Enhance Performance, Rifled Barrels, Rifle Mod, Juggernaut, Invigorating Speed, and Speedy Kits. Though occasionally I'll go with Empowering Adrenaline over Incendiary Powder and Fire Forged Trigger over Rifle Mod. Basic Stats: [Attack 3049] [Critical Chance 50%] [Armor 2149] [Health 19502]

Now I already know what you're thinking, "WTF?! No Deadly Mixture?!", and I was thinking that way too when I first started building for FT. Once I realized I can spam 3 stacks of Might for kit swapping (3 stacks = +105 Power and Condition Damage) which apply to EVERYTHING I use rather than specifically the FT and the trait line that provided it boosted my damage output by default it made the switch from 20 in Alch to 20 in Explosives an easy transition. I found that being able to keep up in the distance game with a 1200 range rifle (traited) as well as being able to transition to a close up fight with my FT maintained a more reliable DPS than if I focused on the FT alone. Not to mention transitioning from Rifle to FT has combo synergies no other options in the class have to offer:
Spoiler

If you don't already know why there are 10 pnts in Alch and 10 pnts in Tools for Invigorating Speed and Speedy Kits respectively trying using them some time and spam that Med Kit skill every 5 seconds...in my build it renames Med Kit "Swiftvigortripplemightrandomboon". Though I admit I'm currently trying to dabble around in putting those points in Inventions for the slightly slower moving yet more survivable option of Power Shoes (likely Cloaking Device as the adept trait) since the recent update boosted it from 10% to 25%.

View PostObscure One, on 20 December 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

I wear a Rubicon armor set. My rifle is Rampager as well as my Guild Assasin Backpack, with 2 Beryl Valkyrie rings, a Valkyrie Ancient Karka Shell, a Ruby Berserker earring and amulet. All of it is level 80 exotics except for my guild backpack.

Though I'm certain I could optimize my gear like everyone else for pure Berserker or Rampager, I've grown fond of having a touch of armor and health, lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flamethrower, ft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users