Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 4 votes

The Winterdays Info/Discussion Thread

guild wars 2 wintersday cheermeister achievement jumping puzzle sylvari hearte vintage gaming jade quarry

  • Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 Priscitta

Priscitta

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Does anyone have the infinite self-style kit? How rare is it really?

It's the *only* item I really want, but no way am I going to pay for some lottery boxes to get the weapon skins. I just got 6 skins for free - like everyone else - they are selling for 30 copper at the trading post. And they are listed as "rare" drop from the gem store box...!

#122 Arquenya

Arquenya

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostPriscitta, on 22 December 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Does anyone have the infinite self-style kit? How rare is it really?

It's the *only* item I really want, but no way am I going to pay for some lottery boxes to get the weapon skins. I just got 6 skins for free - like everyone else - they are selling for 30 copper at the trading post. And they are listed as "rare" drop from the gem store box...!
Well no idea, it's the thing that I'd want to have the most!
But seeing that there's like 12 for sale at the TP - which is world wide! - I guess the drop rate isn't extremely high ..

I wouldn't bet on getting one. Literally.

Edited by Arquenya, 23 December 2012 - 02:30 AM.


#123 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Ye, it's kinda of the chance of the bell. Are you a lucky gambler with a lot of cash to play your attempts? No? Ah damn, it's not for you :)

#124 darkk zhaitan

darkk zhaitan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Myst]

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I really don't know why there are not more complaints about Toypocalypse.  I like most of wintersday, even the snowball mayham was slightly enjoyable after you got the achievements, but toypocalypse?  It's a nightmare.  Even with needing to keep one dolyak alive it seems ridiculously difficult.  I have been trying for the last few days and spent hours trying to complete the achievement and have been failing quite miserably so far.  Yes, I know it can seem easy and fun with a good group, I managed to get an amazing group earlier today and we managed to keep all 5 alive and at full health up until wave 8.  I don't know how they fared after that since I disconnected.

I know that it is meant to be hard for the 20 achievement points it gives, however, it's a huge achievement in its own to get a group that will work well together and not leave immediately at the slightest hint of a problem.  The fact that so many people can come and go during the whole thing makes coordinating difficult and you just therefore have to hope everyone knows what they are doing.  I'm sure many people will have noticed this.  I think one reason for so many leaving is also because they hope to get lucky and join a group that is at 9/10 waves or something (my guildie got lucky).

Personally, although it's supposed to be an achievement, I feel anet should adjust the difficulty of the whole thing to balance it out with the stupid amount of luck it takes to get a decent group that won't fall apart easily.  My suggestion is to reduce the amount of enemies in just the first few waves and give us some pre-prepared ballistas and walls.  I suggest this because it will help keep a pug together long enough to survive even the first couple waves and hopefully stay till the end.  A better fix I think is to not make it hotjoin so that you can play with guildies and friends, but anet already stated they can't do this.

Edited by darkk zhaitan, 23 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.


#125 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

But the thing is: It IS easy. People just need to learn how do to it.

Even without a good group you should be able to complete it quite easily as long as the team talks.
Most people do however tend to ignore the ability to chat and that would make it a bit harder.

#126 darkk zhaitan

darkk zhaitan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Myst]

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 23 December 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

But the thing is: It IS easy. People just need to learn how do to it.

Even without a good group you should be able to complete it quite easily as long as the team talks.
Most people do however tend to ignore the ability to chat and that would make it a bit harder.

You'll have to keep repeating that talk to every new guy that joins every couple mins because someone else left.  It's not that people ignore the ability to chat, it's just that it's pointless when people come and go so often.

#127 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postdarkk zhaitan, on 23 December 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:


You'll have to keep repeating that talk to every new guy that joins every couple mins because someone else left.  It's not that people ignore the ability to chat, it's just that it's pointless when people come and go so often.

Hmm?
I did it earlier today with just one single line of chat written during the whole game. And that line was: "Keep him away from the defences".

You simply need to learn how to do it and keep trying until you get a decent group.

#128 Gli

Gli

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1026 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I can't complete it because I can't stomach keeping at it for more than 5 minutes.

It's quite astonishing how they managed to make something called 'Toypocalypse' the most unengagingly boring activity ever.

I got my title so I don't care anyway.

#129 darkk zhaitan

darkk zhaitan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Myst]

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 23 December 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Hmm?
I did it earlier today with just one single line of chat written during the whole game. And that line was: "Keep him away from the defences".

You simply need to learn how to do it and keep trying until you get a decent group.


Well I know how to do it, but getting the decent group isn't easy in the slightest.  Hate that seemingly most of this achievement is luck on what pugs you get.

Edited by darkk zhaitan, 23 December 2012 - 02:21 PM.


#130 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

View Postdarkk zhaitan, on 23 December 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Well I know how to do it, but getting the decent group isn't easy in the slightest.  Hate that seemingly most of this achievement is luck on what pugs you get.

Have you actually tried doing it more than once?

#131 darkk zhaitan

darkk zhaitan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Myst]

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 23 December 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Have you actually tried doing it more than once?

Well, it would be silly to complain after only doing it once it I think.  If you read, or reread my first post, I did say I spent hours over a few days on this.

#132 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

View Postdarkk zhaitan, on 23 December 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Well, it would be silly to complain after only doing it once it I think.  If you read, or reread my first post, I did say I spent hours over a few days on this.

Then they problem might actually lie with you. Not the game mode itself.

I have done (and completed it) 4 times since release. Each time with a different group.

Either you are extremely unlucky or you simply need to learn how to do it.

#133 darkk zhaitan

darkk zhaitan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Myst]

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 23 December 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Then they problem might actually lie with you. Not the game mode itself.

I have done (and completed it) 4 times since release. Each time with a different group.

Either you are extremely unlucky or you simply need to learn how to do it.

Though I won't say I'm the best or anything, I'm almost sure the problem doesn't lie with me since as you say, it is pretty easy at its core, and I tend to be one of those that will continue to the last dolyak, unlike most pugs I've tried to do it with.  Anyways, I just managed to get a good group, and while we didn't talk at all, everyone knew what they were doing so I managed to finish it losing only one dolyak.  I think you are just extremely lucky and I'm not.

Edited by darkk zhaitan, 23 December 2012 - 03:35 PM.


#134 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3259 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

I unwrap the chest, I get knocked back twice. The second blast throws me off the rock. I fall down onto the minotaur below and now I need to kill the guy first since I am in combat and I can't jump well enough to get back onto the top of the mountain. So I kill the guy (easily, of course, since his point in this whole mess is to be a waste of my time), I get back on top of the rock, kill the skritt that spawned and then I see that I was too late and my present disappeared already.

Hey A.Net, * YOU!


EDIT:
And don't even get me started on the next present which spawned a bunch of *ing princesses.

Edited by Protoss, 23 December 2012 - 03:39 PM.


#135 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Well, you do have to do a little work for the rewards after all.

#136 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostProtoss, on 23 December 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

I unwrap the chest, I get knocked back twice. The second blast throws me off the rock. I fall down onto the minotaur below and now I need to kill the guy first since I am in combat and I can't jump well enough to get back onto the top of the mountain. So I kill the guy (easily, of course, since his point in this whole mess is to be a waste of my time), I get back on top of the rock, kill the skritt that spawned and then I see that I was too late and my present disappeared already.

Hey A.Net, * YOU!


EDIT:
And don't even get me started on the next present which spawned a bunch of *ing princesses.



Have you tried Prozac®?


#137 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3259 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostIllein, on 23 December 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

    

Have you tried Prozac®?
    

That's WITH Prozac.

#138 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostProtoss, on 23 December 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

That's WITH Prozac.

Well played, Sir. :P

#139 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3259 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostProtoss, on 23 December 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

... then I see that I was too late and my present disappeared already.

Khmm, this actually might not have been correct. From what I have been seeing recently, it seems that some boxes don't even have a present. They just poop out foes and that's it.
So, it seems to be even dumber than I thought it was.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users