• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JROH

JROH

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

With the update I decided I would revisit the concept of a power build, and I must say I'm loving it.
Currently what I have is this: http://gw2skills.net...JLSOkkItKYUwWEA

Do not look at this and think spike/burst damage. While it does have a strong burst potential, I didn't make it with that playstyle in mind, it is just one of the things it is capable of.

The playstyle I had in mind was that of a high damage pressure build, which this build succeeds in with good results overall. The longbow is a much different weapon simply because of the increased arrow speed, making rapid fire very potentially threatening, since I am getting a constant range of 3-6k, assuming all arrows hit.

But that isn't where the damage is in this build, although it is strong sustain. The damage comes from QZ (either from slot or from pet swap) plus Sick'em combined with the swords auto attack.

The idea is basically to pressure an enemy with the longbow from a distance to make them blow their dodges and do as much damage as possible. Because you have a 1500 range, most enemies will have to take some pressure to get into their attacking range. By this time, it is desirable that you have done enough damage so that when the enemy gets close enough, you can weapon swap, hit QZ and Sickem (pet switch if you need to to interrupt you current pets action and bring in a new one fighting), and just auto attack and melt them.

At this point most enemies will either melt, take significant damage and escape, or use some cooldown and survive (assuming you burned their dodges, if not, you will still do some significant damage regardless). This is the point where you finish them if they are downed, or, if not, and the battle continues, you switch back to longbow and pressure them, then do a pseudo spike (without Sickem) using the pet swap quickness and auto attack (still hits for hard damage) until either your big spike is ready again or you down them.

Regardless, the damage of this build is consistently moderately high at any range, and is definitely deserving of a try.
I'm sure an argument can be made that a stun breaker is needed, but personally I found more success with going pure pressure than stacking up on defense, considering the amount of utility the sword and longbow knock provide, which was enough for me.

I chose to go with birds, but some people may prefer to go with cats or even dogs. Just make sure you know the pet you choose so when you go to try to do the QZ sickem spike, they aren't caught in some long animation that will make you lose DPS.

This was built with spvp/tpvp in mind, since it is a pet reliant build and WvW is not a pet friendly place. Sickem really is the crux of this build though, as it essentially doubles you pets damage output for 10 seconds.

Give it a try. Comment, criticize, help work out anything I might have missed. There are traits that could be not optimized and such.
(On a side note, I was working on a stun/daze lock build earlier with Moments of Clarity, but rangers don't have any clear follow up damage after dazing/stunning an opponent. More than anything I was just able to do team support by locking an opponent for 4s(shortbow and greatsword, with runes of the mesmer and sigils of paralyzation, and of course moments of clarity) in daze/stun and then fearing them with the wolf. It was great control... and that's where that ended. I'm sure there's some viable crit builds, but I don't do glass cannons).

#2 slackerpete

slackerpete

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Im currently trying your build, but I cant seem to find the synergy between my pet and I, Sometimes I get decent dmg other times i just die,
how do I survive longer?!

#3 PsycoPsymon

PsycoPsymon

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

try out my bully build for a good build dealing with moment of clarity. the extra stun/daze just goes well with the gs imo. if u want a follow up with short bow daze i suggest the poison or cripple skill so pet can catch up again. or even qz/pet swap for a spike in damage and stacking dem bleeds yo.

#4 Umie

Umie

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BSW]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

yes power ranger is excellent right now. personally ive switched to 0/0/30/10/30 tanky condi builds, different variations, for attrition and high condi dmg. i always enjoyed power builds and may go back at some point.

you build is fantastic for stomping pvp i think, but once you burn through QZ, swap, RaO and Sic em, youve nothing left really. it's a playstyle i really used to enjoy but it's all about attrition now baby. i was thinking a power build with BM/cleric's...not sure if it would work.

Edited by Umie, 18 December 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#5 JROH

JROH

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've been messing around with a generic trap build and having good results (it is the generic trap build though, so it's supposed to work).

I've been running a general roamer with a lot of success: http://gw2skills.net...UjoGbNuak1sEZUA

The part about the greatsword that I enjoyed was the big numbers, especially on greatsword 4 because of the defense and offense compression on 1 skill. Yes you are squishier than I tend to enjoy my own builds to be, but that doesn't make the build less fun. It is like the old auto attack spamming days, since the shortbow is constantly outputting 700-800 damage on crit, and you're averaging 1k damage per second off of the auto attack.

I've been really enjoying the shout support warrior build, so I'm going to try to create something now that will take that playstyle and put it into good use on a ranger.

Edit: So... there is zero reason to run anything other than traps on ranger. As in, now that I have played a decent amount on every other class, ranger utility slots are just mediocre. Signet builds might have been viable if the cooldowns weren't so long. But wow, if I'm not running traps, I feel like I have 3 less skill slots than every other class in the game. Guess I'm sticking with traps if I keep playing ranger.

Edited by JROH, 18 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#6 slackerpete

slackerpete

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

WTB a nice trapbuild! ^_^

#7 JROH

JROH

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

What kind of trap build? I have used two. One I use Shamans Amulet with Signet of the Wild, and the other I use is with Carrion Amulet and either Signet of Renewal or Signet of the Hunt.

Using that knowledge, depending on what you'd prefer, add it to this: http://gw2skills.net...MxewfH9IXB/XwoK

That is a personal preference, you can always take 5 points out of Nature Magic and put them into Beastmastery for quickness stomping and rezzing on demand.
For runes there are many different mindsets and options. You can go full undead. Personally, when I run the Shaman setup, I run it with with the three different 2x sets that add 15% burning duration. When I use the Carrion Setup, I run 6x Melandrus runes. Again, personal preference, some people might not agree with those choices, but burning is where a main source of damage in trap builds comes from, and with the Carrion set you get a larger hp pool with lower toughness, so I add runes for toughness and condition duration reduction since rangers have poor on demand condition removal.

#8 slackerpete

slackerpete

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Looking for smth with a bit of survivability but also some damage, for those tournaments.

#9 Wanna Go To heaven

Wanna Go To heaven

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostJROH, on 18 December 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

What kind of trap build? I have used two. One I use Shamans Amulet with Signet of the Wild, and the other I use is with Carrion Amulet and either Signet of Renewal or Signet of the Hunt.

Using that knowledge, depending on what you'd prefer, add it to this: http://gw2skills.net...MxewfH9IXB/XwoK

That is a personal preference, you can always take 5 points out of Nature Magic and put them into Beastmastery for quickness stomping and rezzing on demand.
For runes there are many different mindsets and options. You can go full undead. Personally, when I run the Shaman setup, I run it with with the three different 2x sets that add 15% burning duration. When I use the Carrion Setup, I run 6x Melandrus runes. Again, personal preference, some people might not agree with those choices, but burning is where a main source of damage in trap builds comes from, and with the Carrion set you get a larger hp pool with lower toughness, so I add runes for toughness and condition duration reduction since rangers have poor on demand condition removal.

Awesome build. Have been using it for a while now. Works very well in 8v8. Haven't tested anything else with it.
Eats warriors np, some classes are harder where pets/clones eat your traps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users