Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

jeweler help


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Edbert

Edbert

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Sorry for asking a newbie question but I am getting different answers when asking in-game so i thought I'd try to nail the answer here.

Can you get a jeweler to level 400 without using ectos?

Like I said I've heard a yes and a no to that. the answer may in fact be no for my current jeweler. My jeweler is at level 390 and I have discovered all 7 rings/earrings/amulets (ruby, coral, opal, emerald, sapphire, chrysocola, beryl) then I have no choice but to try on another toon or use ectoplasm right?

Secondly, does that mean I screwed up somewhere? I did NOT use any guides until I ran into trouble at about level 380. I mean if I messed up and skipped something in the gold/platinum area (for example) I’ll try again on a different character. I do not want to burn my ectos if I don't have to, I’m trying to farm/save them.

#2 Sheepski

Sheepski

    Seraph Guardian

  • Moderators
  • 1240 posts
  • Location:Manchester
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

The guide I used said to use them, so I did. Haven't found another good guide that doesn't. However I got all of them back from salvaging the rares you make at the end anyway.

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!


#3 Vysander

Vysander

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yeah... either salvage the rares you make, or re-sell them and buy the globs again. There may be a way you can get 400 without using any ecto's but it seems like a larger waste of money to level a jeweler from 1-390 again instead of using the few ectos and then being able to either salvage or sell them to re-coup most of your loss (on the ecto cost).

Edited by Vysander, 17 December 2012 - 04:34 PM.


#4 Edbert

Edbert

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks all.

I just hit 400 with the use of 5 globs, not too bad I guess, gonna use a BL kit to retrieve them now. Thanks again!

#5 Sentex

Sentex

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Location:Domain of Anguish
  • Guild Tag:[EoH]
  • Server:Baruch Bay

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostEdbert, on 17 December 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Thanks all.

I just hit 400 with the use of 5 globs, not too bad I guess, gonna use a BL kit to retrieve them now. Thanks again!

How's that?

I thought that with the BL kit you have 100% guaranteed to recover the upgrades, not the mats used in any particular craft.

Am i wrong?

#6 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 392 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SoDF]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Getting to 400 in pretty much any crafting profession (well maybe not cooking) requires the use of a small number of ectos.  With jeweler, you can get up to around 388 (maybe slightly higher) by discovering pretty much every possible recipe, but it will not be enough to get to 400.  You'll need to buy some recipes for rare stuff and make 2-3 rares to finish it off.  As I recall, if you craft rares straight from 375, you'll only need to do about 3 of them (which for jeweler that translates to about 9 ecto).  Note: getting to 400 only really matters if you want to craft exotics or legendaries, and you'll need lots of ectos there anyway.

#7 Vysander

Vysander

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostSentex, on 19 December 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

How's that?

I thought that with the BL kit you have 100% guaranteed to recover the upgrades, not the mats used in any particular craft.

Am i wrong?

100% upgrade, another, higher then master rate for rare items.

You could very well end up with more ectos then you used with a black lion kit (or less, gotta love RNG)

#8 Antithesis

Antithesis

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostEdbert, on 17 December 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Sorry for asking a newbie question but I am getting different answers when asking in-game so i thought I'd try to nail the answer here.

Can you get a jeweler to level 400 without using ectos?

Like I said I've heard a yes and a no to that. the answer may in fact be no for my current jeweler. My jeweler is at level 390 and I have discovered all 7 rings/earrings/amulets (ruby, coral, opal, emerald, sapphire, chrysocola, beryl) then I have no choice but to try on another toon or use ectoplasm right?

Secondly, does that mean I screwed up somewhere? I did NOT use any guides until I ran into trouble at about level 380. I mean if I messed up and skipped something in the gold/platinum area (for example) I’ll try again on a different character. I do not want to burn my ectos if I don't have to, I’m trying to farm/save them.

I see you have made it but to answer in case someone else is looking I made 400 without ecto.

When I was around 380-390 I bought a couple recipes to finish.

#9 Vysander

Vysander

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostCaptain Bulldozer, on 19 December 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Getting to 400 in pretty much any crafting profession (well maybe not cooking) requires the use of a small number of ectos.  With jeweler, you can get up to around 388 (maybe slightly higher) by discovering pretty much every possible recipe, but it will not be enough to get to 400.  You'll need to buy some recipes for rare stuff and make 2-3 rares to finish it off.  As I recall, if you craft rares straight from 375, you'll only need to do about 3 of them (which for jeweler that translates to about 9 ecto).  Note: getting to 400 only really matters if you want to craft exotics or legendaries, and you'll need lots of ectos there anyway.

uhhh, you only need ectos to lvl jewelcrafting to 400....

#10 Sentex

Sentex

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Location:Domain of Anguish
  • Guild Tag:[EoH]
  • Server:Baruch Bay

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostVysander, on 19 December 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

100% upgrade, another, higher then master rate for rare items.

You could very well end up with more ectos then you used with a black lion kit (or less, gotta love RNG)

Yeah, that's what i was thinking... it's higher then master's but not 100% guaranteed.

Gotta love RNG too :D

#11 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Simple answer: crafting booster. 0 ectos.

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 19 December 2012 - 11:53 PM.


#12 Enko

Enko

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostLucas Ashrock, on 19 December 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Simple answer: crafting booster. 0 ectos.

You'll still need to make about 2 or 3 items once you hit 390.  Everything else is grayed out and doesn't give experience except for the rare jewels.

(edited a mistake).

Edited by Enko, 25 December 2012 - 11:13 AM.


#13 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm at 380 Jeweling without having used ectos. I'll let you know when if I manage it xD.

#14 Mortec

Mortec

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NoKK]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostLucas Ashrock, on 19 December 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Simple answer: crafting booster. 0 ectos.

Correct. Got 400 Leatherworking last night. No Ectos were harmed in the process.

edit: Wups! Jeweler thread. Have a 400 Jeweler too, but it was the first profession I mastered - so don't remember if I had to use Ectos. My bad.

Edited by Mortec, 20 December 2012 - 11:01 AM.


#15 Enko

Enko

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 20 December 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I'm at 380 Jeweling without having used ectos. I'll let you know when if I manage it xD.

You can get up to 390 without ectos. Once you get there, nothing gives you xp except for the rare jewels. My previous post should have stated 390 (fixing now).




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users