12 replies to this topic

#1 laqia

laqia

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

Hey guys.

Just started playing as a new Mesmer here. Just wanted some advice on the current build I'm hopefully aiming for. What I have so far is a staff and GS set up. The issue is distributing my traits around. So far I have this:

http://gw2skills.net...G5oeg9s/dSKUdqB

I like the idea of the additional bounces since it helps both the auto attack on staff and the second attack for GS. The traits in Domination and Chaos are there to grab the CD reductions for both the respective weapons. I'm guessing this leans towards more of a condition build? And also the illusions and phantasms are up solely for shattering when mobs drop to around 30% health or so.

Here's my big question: should I give up a trait line in order to get Dueling up to 20 for Deceptive Evasion? I feel that the CD reductions on both weapons are quite nice, and the extra bounce should be much more important, but I'm no expert...

And if there's anything that can be improved with the other selected traits, please let me know!

#2 Coren

Coren

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[DRK]

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

View Postlaqia, on 18 December 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Hey guys.

Just started playing as a new Mesmer here. Just wanted some advice on the current build I'm hopefully aiming for. What I have so far is a staff and GS set up. The issue is distributing my traits around. So far I have this:

http://gw2skills.net...G5oeg9s/dSKUdqB

I like the idea of the additional bounces since it helps both the auto attack on staff and the second attack for GS. The traits in Domination and Chaos are there to grab the CD reductions for both the respective weapons. I'm guessing this leans towards more of a condition build? And also the illusions and phantasms are up solely for shattering when mobs drop to around 30% health or so.

Here's my big question: should I give up a trait line in order to get Dueling up to 20 for Deceptive Evasion? I feel that the CD reductions on both weapons are quite nice, and the extra bounce should be much more important, but I'm no expert...

And if there's anything that can be improved with the other selected traits, please let me know!

Looks box.standard for.staff and GS, which I often use, along with sword and focus. I personally don't find the chaos trait line as useful both in terms of defense and offense.

I prefer the inspiration line more.for a few reasons: adds more health, has nice defensive options like conditions removal and extra illusions damage options. But if you take that line, it's mainly glamour spells oriented.

Personally, I run a 20/20/0/25/5 build. Gives me a nice cover of.defense (using glamour spells) offense (GS and illusions damage from GS and staff). Inspiration also increases boon duration from staff, which I find more useful than conditions for mesmers, but that's coming from a main engineer, who has a LOT of conditions.

Bottom line, using the chaos trait line isn't mandatory for a staff user, and I personally prefer that trait line in PvP where your clones can live a bit longer than in PvE.

Overall your build isn't bad, but I would seriously invest in condition removals, it's important later down the line.

#3 XRay

XRay

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[TBF]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

The thing I find weird is getting empowered illusions + illusionary persona, I don't see any synergy here. Aside from the fact that u went out of your way with the traits to get the cooldown ones for your weapons I don't really know why u picked what you picked. Gs/staff is my absolutely favourite combination, and I hope that the crap I'll post will help you in some way. Don't really go down the condition road for pve. power builds will get you much better results. at least that's my personal experience.

http://gw2skills.net...6oUg9sTqgqLfA3A

with the build above you don't have and cd' reduction traits but imo you don't really need them. That is basically the phantasm build I've been using while lvling. The bounce trait can be exchanged with phantasmal haste, and I personally use that one much more than elasticity. disenchanted can be swapped for arcane thievery or Null field, is all personal preference.

http://gw2skills.net...49dkU0apWJF42FC

would be the shatter version of the gs/staff build. if u want additional condi removal u can take 10 from domination and put it into inspiration for mender's purity or the cd decrease for glamour skills.

#4 neon1300

neon1300

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostCoren, on 18 December 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

Inspiration also increases boon duration from staff, which I find more useful than conditions for mesmers, but that's coming from a main engineer, who has a LOT of conditions.

Sorry but isn't Chaos the line that increases your boon duration, not Inspiration which increase Healing power?

----
I've moved away from GS/Staff build for a while now, but while I was using it roaming PVE, I ran a 20/20/25/0/5 build. Now I think of it, it wasn't the best and some things can be tweaked better. Probably a 20/20/10/15/5. Something like this:
http://gw2skills.net...HaBkUoapWJF42FC

I agree with the above two that Chaos might not be the best line to get, but I find it helpful for map-running, especially Descent into Madness (you can tell I do a lot of climbing to avoid mobs right? XD). I use that when running around and use Debilitating Dissipation while fighting. Dueling line is useful as well, that deceptive evasion is priceless, and you might combine that with Crippling Dissipation if you're just running the map and don't want to fight every single mob.

This is strictly phantasm build btw. Ideally I'd use F4 for life-saving but in reality I hardly use any shattering at all. If you're running in a condition-heavy map you can change null field to mantra of resolve. Btw, the extra bounce only applies to your own attacks, I think you already know that. ^^"

Edited by neon1300, 18 December 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#5 laqia

laqia

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Wow thanks for the great amount of info guys. I've never really thought of letting my illusions stay alive since they're so squishy, so I'd probably lean towards doing a more shatter oriented build. Letting phantasms do all the work isn't really my playstyle.

So I can also conclude that condition builds aren't up to par compared to full power / precision builds? Thought that the staff was great with conditions?

#6 sorting hat

sorting hat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm using staff/scepter-focus build, which is condition-oriented. I guess it is true condition build is not as strong as direct damage in pve, especially if you're running solo, though it is still viable, just slower. The problem is, if you're going with GS/staff, direct damage will always be much easier than a condition build, since GS has nothing that contribute to a condition build, unless you're going 15 points into dueling. And staff phantasm scales with power anyway. (Staff condition is quite random, so it is not very reliable if you're going full condition. You just need more sources for conditions.)

I can't comment much on shatter build. Never played one before. ^^"

Edited by sorting hat, 18 December 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#7 laqia

laqia

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I see I see thanks. I suppose I'll leave condition heavy builds for now and opt for a full power build. I'm guessing a this would cater more towards a phantasm build?

Here's what I came up with after reading everybody's advice:

The 5 points into Chaos could go into the Inspiration line for the additional 15% damage for phantasms, but I kinda suck at surviving and thought the regeneration could help me (unless the heal is negligible?)

Thoughts?

#8 XRay

XRay

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

If ur gonna go on a phantasm build, then you're not gonna shatter a ton, and then you don't need deceptive evasion imo. So you can shave off the 5 points from  and put them into inspiration aswell if u wanna keep 5 in chaos.

Also you won't really need feedback for solo play really, switch that out for something else, like signet of illusions - something I like to use to give my stuff more survivability. When you will be using it for grp play/dungeons whatever, exchange the phantasm 20% hp for glamour mastery.

And anothe thing -  mass invisibility isn't something I found very useful, try time warp, it's a beautiful skill.

#9 sorting hat

sorting hat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

I guess everyone has their own preference when comes to a pve build. ^^" I agree that if playing a phantasm build then deceptive evasion will seem excessive and in contradiction, but the way I see it is it's the easiest way to generate clones for any sort of purposes. This is especially useful if you're in a place where mobs are everywhere. You might need more clones to deal with large group of mobs or start a new fight when the old one barely finishes. But if you're not running solo those 5 points can be put into some other lines that might be more helpful.

Mass invisibility, I don't know, I find it extremely useful for loosing aggro if you only want to run in, grab a POI, then run out. Yes decoy does same trick, but I'd rather save an utility slot for something else than a invisibility skill. Besides, I don't find Time Wrap that useful in a solo pve environment.

That 5 points in Chaos is not needed if you already have 15 in inspiration. As long as you have 1 phantasm up and you're close to it, you'll get constant regen anyway. Unless it's the +50 toughness you want? ^^"

Edited by sorting hat, 19 December 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#10 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostXRay, on 18 December 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

If ur gonna go on a phantasm build, then you're not gonna shatter a ton, and then you don't need deceptive evasion imo.

I agree with the first half of what you have mentioned but seriously disagree with your assertion that deceptive evasion is not needed.
In my build, phantasms are merely meatshields and damage outputs. Deceptive evasion gives me more meatshields and damage outputs.
30/20/0/0/20 and still pumping out 75% crit chance (with sigil of perception on one greatsword and sigil of accuracy on another for swapping purposes once 25 stacks are up) and 98% crit damage. Gimmie my deceptive evasion - it can be a life saver at times.

Edited by heatrr, 19 December 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#11 XRay

XRay

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

well if you need all them meatshields go at it. Starting with mirror blade gives me my meatshield and after the zerker is done if needed I use another mirror blade or shatter both the first clone and the zerker. don't really need more than that in pve.. personal preference~

#12 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostXRay, on 19 December 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

well if you need all them meatshields go at it. Starting with mirror blade gives me my meatshield and after the zerker is done if needed I use another mirror blade or shatter both the first clone and the zerker. don't really need more than that in pve.. personal preference~

Thing is, this build is not limited to just PvE - having great success with it roaming in WvW, so yeah, all them meatshields generated are lovely, if not needed, so deceptive evasion is required, at least for my playstyle.

Edited by heatrr, 23 December 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#13 Luphine Coalhart

Luphine Coalhart

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

View Postlaqia, on 18 December 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I see I see thanks. I suppose I'll leave condition heavy builds for now and opt for a full power build. I'm guessing a this would cater more towards a phantasm build?

Here's what I came up with after reading everybody's advice:

The 5 points into Chaos could go into the Inspiration line for the additional 15% damage for phantasms, but I kinda suck at surviving and thought the regeneration could help me (unless the heal is negligible?)

Thoughts?

If you kinda suck at surviving, you might want to switch to sword+focus/Pistol, Blurred Frenzy and temporal curtain will save your life more then you can count. Trick shots can save yourself from time to time also, With iDuelist is one of the best single target phantasms so far.

Drop Staff imo, I think alot people get the idea that Staff is mainly for condition damage, but as a support mesmer, I realise Staff provides more reliable BOONS then Conditions lol. So I go for staff mainly to Boon up my team then to deal condition damage.

I've tried inspiration line before, The more important part is on the condition removal upon heal. More then often i find myself getting last min chain stunned and the enemy closes up and swarm you before you can dodge. So heal to remove condition is important.

If you want to switch to phantasm build, you are more of the roaming target a.k.a the meatshield now, while your phantasms is doing the dirty work. So you MUST learn to survive even more. Thus staff is out of the formular since your only skill for survival is phase retreat and risk breaking one of your phantasm if u manage to create 3.

Edited by Luphine Coalhart, 23 December 2012 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users