10 replies to this topic

#1 Memser

Memser

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

Can anyone please suggest good PVE DPS build for leveling? Thank you.

#2 Luphine Coalhart

Luphine Coalhart

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

If you are soloing. GS/Sword+Pistol. 20/25/0/25/0 For traits, go for precision then power then inspiration. This way u get your damage and your hp+healing power keep u safe and at times clutch rally,

If played properly, GS(5). Sword(2). F4 and Pistol(5) keeps u pretty safe. For bossing go for triple pistol(4) while u dive in to eat up the boss with your sword and stun, then knock back while u kite with your phantasms and your GS(1)(2)(3)(5). GS(4) is good for mobs. This build is more on survivabilty and u dun kite as much. This is my build before I change to a more support mesmer role :P

#3 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

30/20/0/0/20
GS and sword/focus or staff
All Berserker's gear.
Keep distance and kite, kite, and kite while throwing and dodging phantasms.

#4 Khaostos

Khaostos

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Luphine suggested a great build setup 20-25-0-25-0. I used GS and Sword/Pistol for the longest while, but one of the mesmer's biggest problems is that we're just so slow. When you need to get moving quickly, the Focus #4 skill is amazing. Once traited, it can also be used for defense against ranged mobs/players. Lay down the wall and watch rangers hurt themselves. It's very similar to using the Feedback utility skill, but is less easy for enemies to just walk out of. Phantasmal Warden also packs a punch against groups, and when paired with the sword (and traited) the duo can make you dang near invinsible (Warden's projectile reflection and the sword #2). The GS is my main weapon and it synergizes well with a lot of builds. Here's what I'm currently using at lvl 80:

http://gw2skills.net...bXIA;TMALRGWsBB

This enables me to dish out a great deal of direct damage and gives my phantasms a huge boost. Clones are also valuable allies. Not only do they stack bleed on enemies, but when they are killed they cause cripple and confusion. With dodge and GS #2 I never run out of clones and can keep my distance even in higher level instances (like Arah). I ALWAYS keep blink in my utilities since it's the best stun breaker, allowing you to get away from danger. The other two utilities I switch regularly depending on situation. Portal is great since it can mass transport groups, but if you preemptively drop the exit in a safe place and then run into danger, you can get out before it's too late to run.

The FIRST thing to go for is Deceptive Evasion in Dueling. Being able to spawn clones on dodge synergizes well with critical infusion, which grants you vigor (more crit = more vigor = more endurance = more dodges = more clones).

SECOND is to go for Mender's Purity in Inspiration. The mesmer's biggest weakness is condition damage. Sure, you can use Null Field, but with such a long cooldown, it becomes less effective against condition dealing mobs/bosses/players. Paired with Mantra of Recovery, you have an instant heal/condition removal on tap any time. Although MoR doesn't heal for a massive amount, it is immune to stuns, knockdowns, etc. so you always have access to it. Get yourself used to charging it up when the action is cold, that way its ready whenever you need it. MoR also synergizes well with Decoy, giving you some stealth so that you can charge the matra while stealthed.

Once you have those, then go for Greatsword Training in Domination, which gives you 20% reduction in CDs and boosts your power. Along the way you also get to pickup Crippling Dissipation which is a pillar of this build.

In terms of gear, I run with 5x Berserker armor and 1x Knight's chestpiece for the extra bit of toughness. I use 3x Beryl Orbs and 3x Emerald on the armor. This gives you a balance of damage and toughness+vitality. The longer you survive, the more damage you do (a dead mesmer doesn't do any damage, lol). I also go with full berserker accessories.

In-game name is Khaostos, so feel free to PM if you have questions :D

#5 Didjital

Didjital

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Wow Khaostos thank you for making that insightful post! I myself was confused on how to raise my traits as a Mesmer too. But after reading your post, I'll definitely will be going that way too.

#6 Khaostos

Khaostos

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

When I was leveling I ran with a shatter build, and although it's a lot of fun, it just didn't suit my playstyle in WvW, so I switched it up a bit. Participating in dynamic events is probably the best way to level other than through story quest. The iBerserker is going to enable you to tag a lot of mobs very quickly so that you can get plenty of loot, and the best GS combo to get big damage very quickly is 2-4-dodge-F1.

The GS #2 skill applies vulnerability to your foe and, if you're close enough, might to you. Follow it up with iBerserker so that he deals a nice AOE damage (and really hurts the ones with vulnerability). By now, you've got 2 illusions out, so dodge roll right into the mobs and Mind Wrack for a whallop! If the enemies aren't dead yet, switch to your sword/focus combo and #2 so that you don't take any hits and hopefully finish them off.

While outside of dynamic events, you want to keep your clones out rather than shatter. Never start attacking a mob with your #1, because then it's bound to agro on you. If you start off a fight with #2, however, then the mob typically goes for your clone straight away. This is great once you have Crippling Dissipation, because then you have plenty of time to move around while the foe is bumbling along (comes is handy against speedier foes like the Risen). Also, if too many are on you and moving in close, use your focus #4 to lay down the temporal curtain in front of them, crippling them as they pass through, and then use Into The Void to throw them backwards towards the curtain. This buys you time to escape or get some more clones out.

Happy leveling and I hope these tips help!

#7 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

Very similar to the current GS/Sword/Focus build I am running in PvE and WvW, Khaostos:

20 III/X
20 II/X
25 V/VII

Edited by heatrr, 25 December 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#8 Khaostos

Khaostos

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

View Postheatrr, on 25 December 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

Very similar to the current GS/Sword/Focus build I am running in PvE and WvW, Khaostos:

20 III/X
20 II/X
25 V/VII

I love Illusionists Celerity, it definitely helps with Sword #3 and a bunch of the utilities that make clones/phantasms, but for me I preferred having the other traits more since I don't shatter much or do condition damage (outside bleed from clones).

I like your combo of Empowered Illusions and Phantasmal Strength. Some folks have been saying that they don't stack, but they do (I've tested in Heart of the Mist) and it definitely increases your phantasm's punch!

#9 rentauri

rentauri

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Not sure what level you are, this is my suggestion:

Getting to level 40
5 points in Illusions for Illusionists Celerity (Minor)
10 points in Dueling for Phantasm Duelists (Trait II)
10 points in Domination for Crippling Dissipation (Trait V)
5 points in Chaos for Metaphysical Rejuvenation (Minor)

This will allow you to bring clones out faster (Illusionists Celerity), Phantasms will have Fury (+20% Crit) and if a clone or phantasm is is killed (overwriting a clone counts shattering does not) enemies around it will be crippled allowing you to move away from them. Finally if you are brought down to 75% health you gain 10 seconds of Regeneration.

At level 40 you get a respec if you buy the book
20 points into Dueling for Phantasm Duelists (Trait II) and Deceptive Evasion (Trait X)
The last 5 points either in Domination or Chaos depending on what you liked.

As you level to 60:

20 points into Dueling for Phantasm Duelists (Trait II) and Deceptive Evasion (Trait X)
10 points in Domination for Crippling Dissipation (Trait V)
15 points in Chaos for Debilitating Dissipation (Trait V) <- Note (see below)

This will allow you to create clones on a dodge and if they are killed they will Cripple plus apply one of the following: Weakness (3 sec), 3x Bleed (5 sec) or 3x Vulnerability (5 sec) at random. Also under 75% health you gain Regeneration plus a 2 second protection form Illusionary Membrane. If Illusionary Membrane isn't what you want then consider putting the 5 points in Illusions for Precise Wrack for extra Mind Wrack critcs or maybe Compounding Power for extra damage.

At level 60 you can get a respec if you buy the book.

EDIT: Not truly a DPS build as the OP asked for.

Edited by rentauri, 25 December 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#10 Memser

Memser

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Just did some of my own build 0/25/15/0/30 with staff/scapter and torch. Works really great. Condition damage is amazing.

#11 Brizna

Brizna

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostKhaostos, on 24 December 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Officially stamped with: Brizna's Quality Seal

Thanks for sharing it, my runing around leveling my mesmer has been hugely improved, great build for clearing maps.

Edited by Brizna, 28 December 2012 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users