• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vorren

vorren

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

so i have a new pc and i can activate all setting and still have 60+ fps but i can't really notice the differnece betwen normal render and super sampling... the only thing i notice is the huge fps difference i get

can someone help me understand? thanks

#2 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Beasically, each frame is rendered in a resolution, that is bigger than your monitor's resolution and then scaled down to your resolution.

This in basically some kind of antialiasing. When using Super Sampling you can basically achieve a better quality, than with every other antialiasing mode, however you need really a lot of performance.

Super Sampling is the oldes and "simplest" way of antialiasing, every other kind of antialiasing is just a way to get similar results with lower performance requirements.

If you are already using FXAA, you probably won't see too much of a difference by adding super sampling.
If you turn off FXAA, you will see the difference, but i'd rather have FXAA on and super sampling off, for performance reasons.

#3 vorren

vorren

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

ohh i see thanks for the explanation!

no i dont use fxx because the screen become all blurry..

#4 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1940 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

View Postvorren, on 19 December 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

so i have a new pc and i can activate all setting and still have 60+ fps but i can't really notice the differnece betwen normal render and super sampling... the only thing i notice is the huge fps difference i get

You must have some serious hardware, supersampling should hit your performance quite hard. Make sure you run around a bit, swing the camera around, go to some other places, enter combat etc. You might find your framerate quite a bit more "volatile" with Supersampling enabled, even if you can stay at 60 in some cases.

Edit: Also check both without Vsync on! :)

Edited by typographie, 19 December 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

SuperSampling pretty much requires an HD 7900 series or GTX 670/680 as a minimum to maintain ideal FPS @ 1080p... best when paired with a second or third gen. i5/i7 OCed as well. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users