33 replies to this topic

#31 Stargate

Stargate

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1766 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

View PostZino, on 26 December 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

would like to find out from you those game that is display out is from steam?
I have no clue about your question.

That said Valve is pretty serious about their distaste for Windows 8.
Valve: OpenGL is faster than DirectX — even on Windows
http://www.extremete...even-on-windows
It is actually reasonable future that Valve might release more games in near future that run in both Linux and Windows. Linux supports OpenGL.

Ubuntu is a form of Linux:
http://en.wikipedia....erating_system)

Most PC gamers do use Windows nowadays. There have been some tries of Dx 11 on Linux, but most tries have been simple demos. Anyway it is an effort that depends on game developers and it has been more popular to support Consoles and PC with the same game.

As a little teaser lol Valve releases a super good new game in near future that supports Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux  version, but not Windows 8 :D. Honestly I find it unlikely(not impossible ), but Valve seems to be the game developer company that is in public statements most negative of Windows 8. I really do not look forward to work with Windows 8 in some day in the future either.

Edited by Stargate, 26 December 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#32 xycury

xycury

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Not really any reason to upgrade unless you own a MS phone too, because of the account syncing, it makes it a more unified system.

If you have a touch screen, you'd want Win8.

If you're buying anything new, good luck at anything new coming not with Windows 8.

Windows 7 is fine.

Blow hards from Valve and Blizzard are just blowing hot air.  They don't like the Store or the interface.  The system works as is and so does every other game released so far.

Did they say the same thing about Macs?  and their app store?  and about how closed the App store is?!?!?!

The biggest issue would be driver support for legacy systems, anything new is going to work fine.

And having Windows 8 for only 14.95, that's a great deal there for Win XP users.  A massive jump indeed.

#33 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostZino, on 26 December 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

would like to find out from you those game that is display out is from steam?

Seme of those games are steam, some aren't :)

View PostStargate, on 26 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I have no clue about your question.

That said Valve is pretty serious about their distaste for Windows 8.
Valve: OpenGL is faster than DirectX — even on Windows
http://www.extremete...even-on-windows
It is actually reasonable future that Valve might release more games in near future that run in both Linux and Windows. Linux supports OpenGL.

Ubuntu is a form of Linux:
http://en.wikipedia....erating_system)

Most PC gamers do use Windows nowadays. There have been some tries of Dx 11 on Linux, but most tries have been simple demos. Anyway it is an effort that depends on game developers and it has been more popular to support Consoles and PC with the same game.

As a little teaser lol Valve releases a super good new game in near future that supports Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux  version, but not Windows 8 :D. Honestly I find it unlikely(not impossible ), but Valve seems to be the game developer company that is in public statements most negative of Windows 8. I really do not look forward to work with Windows 8 in some day in the future either.

Considering literally no effort is required to make a windows 7 game work on windows 8, they have to go out of their way to do that. They'd also be fantastically stupid for doing so. It's only a pipedream of windows 8 haters i'm afraid. It's not going to happen in reality.

I think the next source engine will be OpenGL for all platforms though, which once again doesn't exclude windows 8, that's why openGL is a better choice from an 'multi platform' perspective, since more platforms/OSs run it.

They can, however, simply ignore the windows store, as that is the issue they have with W8.

Edited by The Comfy Chair, 27 December 2012 - 01:29 PM.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#34 Stargate

Stargate

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1766 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostThe Comfy Chair, on 27 December 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Seme of those games are steam, some aren't :)

Considering literally no effort is required to make a windows 7 game work on windows 8, they have to go out of their way to do that. They'd also be fantastically stupid for doing so. It's only a pipedream of windows 8 haters i'm afraid. It's not going to happen in reality.

I think the next source engine will be OpenGL for all platforms though, which once again doesn't exclude windows 8, that's why openGL is a better choice from an 'multi platform' perspective, since more platforms/OSs run it.

They can, however, simply ignore the windows store, as that is the issue they have with W8.
Yeah that is a realistic prediction. I doubt Valve would hate Windows 8 so much that they would exclude it. Open GL replacing Direct X as standard? Well I can't say for other gaming companies many will stick to Direct X. That said Valve yeah they are going almost 100% certainly for Open GL in near future and that opens finally more game availability for Linux OS platforms.

I guess I am little nasty and like to tease rarely. My previous comment in this thread posted 26th December the end part was more teasing then realistic.

Edited by The Comfy Chair, 30 December 2012 - 10:27 PM.
Edited out the unnecessary part

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users