Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CC]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

I was hoping I could get some input from you guys about a new pc I want to buy. The price is around what I'm willing to spend and it has a ssd. Please let me know if this is a good pc to buy and if there are small things that can be changed to maximize performance. It's a composition made by a local pc store, based on my wants and needs so stuff can change.

Spire Coolbox midi tower    27.50
MsTech 550w voeding 40.-
Asrock h77 Pro    80.-
Intel i5-2320    200.-
8gb kingston ddr3    50.-
500gb wd harddisk      70.-
dvd brander sony 25.-
gt640 nvidia 110.-
128gb crucial ssd    120.-
w8 pro    60.-

Total including installation and assembly 760,-
euro

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Smallie, 20 December 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#2 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostSmallie, on 20 December 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

I was hoping I could get some input from you guys about a new pc I want to buy. The price is around what I'm willing to spend and it has a ssd. Please let me know if this is a good pc to buy and if there are small things that can be changed to maximize performance. It's a composition made by a local pc store, based on my wants and needs so stuff can change.

Spire Coolbox midi tower    27.50
MsTech 550w voeding 40.-
Asrock h77 Pro    80.-
Intel i5-2320    200.-
8gb kingston ddr3    50.-
500gb wd harddisk      70.-
dvd brander sony 25.-
gt640 nvidia 110.-
128gb crucial ssd    120.-
w8 pro    60.-

Total including installation and assembly 760,-
euro

Thanks in advance.

gt640 nvidia 110
i believe you could improve on that. Grab a 7850 or something. GT640 is well, mid range and to me, anything below GTX 660 is crap, or 560ti below etc.

#3 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostXgreatArtist, on 20 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

gt640 nvidia 110
i believe you could improve on that. Grab a 7850 or something. GT640 is well, mid range and to me, anything below GTX 660 is crap, or 560ti below etc.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what that will cost me extra, because I'm stretching the butget already a bit. If that's the only weak point (for the price), I'll probably adjust it and order the system.

Thanks again.

#4 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostSmallie, on 20 December 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the info. I'll see what that will cost me extra, because I'm stretching the butget already a bit. If that's the only weak point (for the price), I'll probably adjust it and order the system.

Thanks again.

oh if you are stretching your budget already, then keep the GT 640. The GT640 can run guild wars 2 on high settings, just remember to set shadows to low/none, reflections to none and use little postprocessing. Shadows are calculated on your cpu and you wont want to stress that, since gw2 is cpu heavy. GT640 isnt that bad, it is just midrange gpu, that is you cant max the game at 50+ fps

#5 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostXgreatArtist, on 20 December 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

oh if you are stretching your budget already, then keep the GT 640. The GT640 can run guild wars 2 on high settings, just remember to set shadows to low/none, reflections to none and use little postprocessing. Shadows are calculated on your cpu and you wont want to stress that, since gw2 is cpu heavy. GT640 isnt that bad, it is just midrange gpu, that is you cant max the game at 50+ fps

Just checked it out and the 7850 will cost me about 40-50 euros extra. I think I'm gonna spend it, because I think it's a too small price to not do it. Now I'm gonna try to get it past the financial director (my wife). :)

#6 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3371 posts
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm not sure what's available to you and/or at what price but....

Power supply - check reviews, etc to make sure that the MsTech is a quality unit.

CPU - try to get some Ivy Bridge model such as i5-3350P, 3450, 3550 etc rather than older Sandy Bridge.

GPU - definitely get something better than a GT640. Drop the SSD and use the money to get a better video card. At least a GTX-660 or HD7850 - preferably a GTX-660 Ti or HD7870.
(An SSD is nice, but it won't help your fps.)

#7 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostQuaker, on 20 December 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

I'm not sure what's available to you and/or at what price but....

Power supply - check reviews, etc to make sure that the MsTech is a quality unit.

CPU - try to get some Ivy Bridge model such as i5-3350P, 3450, 3550 etc rather than older Sandy Bridge.

GPU - definitely get something better than a GT640. Drop the SSD and use the money to get a better video card. At least a GTX-660 or HD7850 - preferably a GTX-660 Ti or HD7870.
(An SSD is nice, but it won't help your fps.)

Thanks for the input. I'm assuming the power supply is good enough for the system, Checking it all would be a lot of time for me and can't get myself to make the time for it. Maybe dropping the ssd is a good idea. I really like the idea of my system and several programs loading faster, but it does open up possibilities for better equipment on the gpu and maybe cpu side. Guess I'll give him visit this saturday to see what we can do.

#8 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2036 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostSmallie, on 20 December 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

w8 pro    60.-

Do you really need Windows 8 Pro? Unless you know you really need a specific feature, I'd just save the cash and go with basic Windows 8.

I really want to underscore what Quaker said about the SSD: its a great piece of hardware, but not if its costing you your video card. It makes a great upgrade later on if you can't fit it into your budget now.

If you don't want to read up on MsTech, I'd stick with one from a better-known brand with a good reputation. I'm not sure what's available in the Netherlands, but Corsair, Antec, XFX and Seasonic are all typically good manufacturers. Prices shouldn't be outrageous. You might really regret an unreliable PSU.

#9 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

By the way, if I would upgrade the cpu and gpu to one of the named products, would it still fit on the motherboard and do I need a stronger power supply? Tried searching, but really don't know where to find such specs.

#10 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Posttypographie, on 20 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Do you really need Windows 8 Pro? Unless you know you really need a specific feature, I'd just save the cash and go with basic Windows 8.

I really want to underscore what Quaker said about the SSD: its a great piece of hardware, but not if its costing you your video card. It makes a great upgrade later on if you can't fit it into your budget now.

If you don't want to read up on MsTech, I'd stick with one from a better-known brand with a good reputation. I'm not sure what's available in the Netherlands, but Corsair, Antec, XFX and Seasonic are all typically good manufacturers. Prices shouldn't be outrageous. You might really regret an unreliable PSU.

Yea, the more I think about it, the more I want to drop the ssd. It will get me faster to a "less attractive" game. About win8 pro, that's what he (the builder) put on the list. I guess he thought it wasn't that big of a difference in price, but I'll see what I can do with the money that comes out of the ssd and going back to basic win8. I think I'm going the right way with this system. When I make the changes it should be a system that can run gw2 (and possibly farcry 3, if I buy it) good on nice settings right?

Thank you all for the tips, and more advice is always welcome.

#11 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2036 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostSmallie, on 20 December 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

It will get me faster to a "less attractive" game.

Not only that, but its easy to overstate even the effect SSDs have on loading when it comes to games. Yeah, an SSD will improve loading if its heavily bottlenecked by storage performance, but CPU, memory and even network bandwidth are all major factors in your loading time. I don't think GW2 has particularly long loads even from mechanical disks.

Edited by typographie, 20 December 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#12 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3371 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostSmallie, on 20 December 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

By the way, if I would upgrade the cpu and gpu to one of the named products, would it still fit on the motherboard
Yes

...and do I need a stronger power supply?
No - unless you go really high-end on the video card, such as a GTX-680/690 or HD7970.

OS-wise, I'd recommend Win 7 Home Premium if you can get it. If you have to get Win 8 then Home is all you need. The Pro version just adds a lot of network stuff you probably don't need. Check the comparison chart at the end of this article:
http://en.wikipedia....dows_8_editions

Edited by Quaker, 21 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#13 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostQuaker, on 21 December 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Yes
No - unless you go really high-end on the video card, such as a GTX-680/690 or HD7970.

OS-wise, I'd recommend Win 7 Home Premium if you can get it. If you have to get Win 8 then Home is all you need. The Pro version just adds a lot of network stuff you probably don't need. Check the comparison chart at the end of this article:
http://en.wikipedia....dows_8_editions
^^^^^ windows 7 HP 64 Bit also NO on the 640 its by no means a gaming card. For the price it looks like a total ripoff. If anybody tells you to get a 640 video card for a gaming system punch them in the mouth .
EDIT About win8 pro, that's what he (the builder) put on the list ( go somewhere else he is stupid)
EDIT #2 this will kick the shit out of  that. http://3xs.scan.co.u...p?SystemID=1346
EDIT #3 buy a 120 mm fan for the back of the PC cost about 5E

Edited by Zerk2012, 22 December 2012 - 02:28 AM.

#14 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the extra info guys. I'm gathering all the input now and I'm off to the seller. Got some good critique thanks to you guys and will not leave there without a good system. Also seeing some weird stuff on the pricing, so I will be facing him with that. I understand that he can't compete with internet prices and don't mind paying a little extra, because I like having a store so nearby for when there is trouble, but especially the processor price seems off. Saw one of the recommended cpu's for a lot cheaper on the internet then what he charges for the 2320.

Thanks again and will put here later what I buyed for what price (if I buy at all), for people that are interested.

#15 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3371 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

It sounds like the builder has a extra 2320 kicking around that they're trying to get rid of (and without losing money). (been there, done that ;) )

Stick to your guns and tell them what you want. I'm looking forward to reading what you end up with. :)

Edited by Quaker, 22 December 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#16 Bomb Voyage

Bomb Voyage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostQuaker, on 22 December 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

It sounds like the builder has a extra 2320 kicking around that they're trying to get rid of (and without losing money). (been there, done that ;) )

Stick to your guns and tell them what you want. I'm looking forward to reading what you end up with. :)

Yeah, you might be right about that.

Well, I bought a system there. Threw out the ssd, changed the cpu to a 3450 or 3550 (one of the two,not even sure anymore, been a few hours :P ) , changed the gpu to a gtx660 and saved 10 euros on the total price. So I'm very glad with the system I got now. Could have saved a few euros if I bought via internet, but as I said, I like to buy it in a store nearby so i can return there for service and have had good experiences with this shop.

Thanks all for the help and see you in my vastly improved game!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new pc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users