Itgotbinned

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CRUX]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hey everyone,

Cutting a long story short I will be looking to upgrade my CPU very shortly, I currently have the following;

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz

The processor I am currently looking at is the following;

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz

The rest of my rig is running 8GB of RAM a 650w power supply and a GTX570 (i think :P).

The question im asking here is would you imagine a considerable performance boost between those two CPUs given my current rig?

Cheers for anyone that replys!

/Binit

#2 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1974 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

In terms of game-relevant processing power, I'm not sure that's a difference worth $300. The -3770K is a tad faster but its an incremental boost rather than a revolutionary one. If you've taken up a profession where your workflow would benefit from the i7's Hyperthreading, that may be worth considering. But for games I wouldn't recommend it.

Your -2500K should continue to be hard to replace for another year or so at least, in my opinion. I'd look into overclocking, as that alone could make up the difference between it and a stock -3770K.

Edited by typographie, 20 December 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

You cut the long story too short - you gave us no info on what you do with your computer or why you want to upgrade the CPU.

If most of what you do is gaming, plus browser, etc, then you won't see any significant difference in performance. If you are semi-professionally using some highly threaded apps (video editing, CAD, etc) that can take advantage of hyperthreading, then you might get a worthwhile boost in performance (shortened times to perform functions).

At this point you would be best off waiting for the next generation of processors (Haswell).

Edited by Quaker, 20 December 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Itgotbinned

Itgotbinned

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CRUX]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostQuaker, on 20 December 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

You cut the long story too short - you gave us no info on what you do with your computer or why you want to upgrade the CPU.

I may have cut it too short but Typo answered perfectly regardless and covered both scenarios in terms of PC use (gaming or work related).

Thanks to both of you ^^ Ill look into over clocking over the Christmas period.

/Binit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users